Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I joined the forum a couple months ago and have been seriously slacking with my forum presence. I'm finally checking in because I need some help lol (about which I'll make a separate post in the appropriate section). What brings me to ChargerForumz?

I picked up a 2015 SXT Rallye in Granite Crystal back in the spring and have been loving it. It had about 55K miles on the clock when I got it and seemed to be and has been in good working order. I found it for a pretty good deal online so I made the trip from central Jersey out past Queens a couple times to get it. The drive for anyone not from the Tri-State area or been around the city can really suck, but it's not too bad when you're doing it in your new (used) Charger!

The previous owner had the resonators taken off, so it sounds different from stock. I don't really mind it but I know it's definitely not for everyone. It does drone a little but I'm stuck with it for now. So far all I've done is put my sub/amp (Alpine 10in./500w) in the trunk and a dashcam up front. I also put new headlight bulbs in as the old ones we're pretty dim, hardly putting out any light.

As far as driving impressions, it's awesome and much different from my last car, which was FWD and only had about 200hp. The size is nice too as there's plenty of legroom in the back seat.

So that's it for now. I'm glad to be a part of this forum and the Charger (and greater LX) community. I know a lot of people aren't enthusiasts, wich is fine, so it's nice when fellow owners appreciate their ride as more than just an appliance. Now that I'm checked in I won't be such a stranger. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,564 Posts
Welcome from AZ.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another '15 Rallye owner and congrats on the Charger. I've driven my Rallye around the Watkins Glen road course several times and it handles very well, particularly for such a large car. I was keeping up with Corvettes in the corners, and although they would start to pull away on the straights, the car's performance was impressive for a naturally aspirated V6 (got it up to 98mph on the straights).

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
4,389 Posts
Welcome to the Z from Atlanta!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NC, MD, AZ, ATL..I'd say we're pretty well represented haha.

Bob,
That must've been an amazing experience to say the least. Sounds like you we're really wheelin' it! The Glen is always one of my favorite tracks to watch for any series that goes there. Still has some of that old charm the new circuits lack.

What's your favorite part?
How much fun are the esses?
How'd the Charger do through the bus stop? Sounds like it takes a set nicely when the weight transfers. Ever overcook it and have to drive through?
What, if any, races have you gone to? I always wanted to check out the NASCAR race back when I watched it regularly because of all the contact, but I'd go for anything really. Maybe if Indy goes back I'll make the trip. You're a lucky dude.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
My college alumni association hosts a track day at the Glen every summer. It includes 3 laps around the 3.4 mile road course and a nice brunch after the event. After the brunch, the organizer takes all participants that are interested, in a trip around the original Glen road course, which took place on public roads.

I've gone to the event 4 times and it's really fun. The esses are quite challenging. There are significant elevation changes and you have to do a lot of braking, particularly at the bus stop after the back straight (where I hit 98mph). I found that turning Sport mode on helps, as it improves the throttle response. After the OEM Firestone Firehawk GT all-season tires wore out, I replaced them with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires. I found there is a noticeable improvement in handling with the new tires. Fortunately, I haven't lost control while on the track. However, I have heard the tires squealing going around the corners, particularly with the all-season tires. Especially with the new tires, the car acts like it's glued to the road.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Welcome to the Z, from Pittsburgh!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My college alumni association hosts a track day at the Glen every summer. It includes 3 laps around the 3.4 mile road course and a nice brunch after the event. After the brunch, the organizer takes all participants that are interested, in a trip around the original Glen road course, which took place on public roads.

I've gone to the event 4 times and it's really fun. The esses are quite challenging. There are significant elevation changes and you have to do a lot of braking, particularly at the bus stop after the back straight (where I hit 98mph). I found that turning Sport mode on helps, as it improves the throttle response. After the OEM Firestone Firehawk GT all-season tires wore out, I replaced them with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires. I found there is a noticeable improvement in handling with the new tires. Fortunately, I haven't lost control while on the track. However, I have heard the tires squealing going around the corners, particularly with the all-season tires. Especially with the new tires, the car acts like it's glued to the road.

Man that sounds great. I was thinking about getting winter tires this season and summer tires next year. The added grip you describe may just push me to pulling the trigger, although this car already has me driving faster than I used to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts