Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 SXT. After driving at highway speed for approx 25 minutes my car quickly overheats. Usually the temp gauge is just below half. I can idle for the same amount of time without overheating. This first happened 2 weeks ago out of nowhere. Since then I have replaced the thermostat, water pump, overflow tank, fans, relays and fuses.
Last time I drove it, a couple days ago, I put the heater on the floor at full blast. At 21 miles the heater went cold and I faintly smelled antifreeze. The car started overheating a minute later.
Do I have a blown head gasket that's putting gases in the system? Maybe my heater core? Thank you for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you have not fully burped this system, still has an air pocket somewhere.
I thought the same, but I had 5,000 miles on the engine before it overheated. This seems like a lot of miles for an air pocket to sit in the engine

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is the coolant in the overflow tank boiling and bubbling? I do not have the V6 but on my RT I had to replace the water pump but even after that I was having issues. I noticed the coolant would boil in the tank. I replaced the radiator cap and it solved the problem. If the seal goes bad on the cap it causes a leak allowing air in when the system should be sealed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the coolant in the overflow tank boiling and bubbling? I do not have the V6 but on my RT I had to replace the water pump but even after that I was having issues. I noticed the coolant would boil in the tank. I replaced the radiator cap and it solved the problem. If the seal goes bad on the cap it causes a leak allowing air in when the system should be sealed.
Thanks for the reply. I replaced the overflow tank with a new oem tank that came with a new cap so I figured it would be good, but I haven’t actually tried another one. The overflow tank is partitioned into two sections. When my car overheats, the larger side drops low, but the smaller side with the pressure bleeder hole is full and boiling and shooting out steam. It seems that the only coolant I lose is due to the boiling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it was a new tank and cap then I doubt it is bad. but the boiling coolant is usually a sign that air is getting into the system somehow. If it were a head gasket your oil would show signs of coolant mixed in. do you have the means to pressure check the system? that's where I would go next.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it was a new tank and cap then I doubt it is bad. but the boiling coolant is usually a sign that air is getting into the system somehow. If it were a head gasket your oil would show signs of coolant mixed in. do you have the means to pressure check the system? that's where I would go next.
The oil looks perfect. I had done an oil change within 500 miles before it overheated. The oil is not milky or diluted and the coolant does not have any oil in it. I believe you are correct on the need for a pressure test. I think I can get one on loan from a parts store. I am also wondering if it could be a partially blocked radiator or heater core. Do you think a partial blockage would cause overheating and boiling after 20 minutes? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The oil looks perfect. I had done an oil change within 500 miles before it overheated. The oil is not milky or diluted and the coolant does not have any oil in it. I believe you are correct on the need for a pressure test. I think I can get one on loan from a parts store. I am also wondering if it could be a partially blocked radiator or heater core. Do you think a partial blockage would cause overheating and boiling after 20 minutes? Thanks for your time.
I'm not 100% sure on that but it could be a possibility

1 - 10 of 10 Posts