Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2012 dodge charger rt that started ocvover heating while off. Brand new radiator coolant fan water pump and coolant. Have also have changed all the gaskets since I hade the lifters and camshaft repalced. It throws a code p000b that only comes on when the ac or heater are in. Help

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Depending on how hot it is outside and how hard you ran the car the temps could be normal. Mine get up that high on a hot day and after driving on interstate for several hours. Or just going WOT several times in the first 3 gears (6000 rpms).
If just normal driving you could have air in the coolant lines. Bleed the system to get the bubbles out.

The code IMO is unrelated to the temp. It is usually a camshaft position sensor slow response. Here is a thread on the possible causes and how to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Does it go higher than 225? That’s not really overheating if it doesn’t. You can also try purging the air out of the system.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
P000B- CAMSHAFT POSITION SLOW RESPONSE
Set Condition:
The actual measured camshaft phase does not match the desired camshaft phasing set point.

The code is related to the variable cam timing (VCT) and and can be caused by a variety of things; including engine oil condition/viscosity/pressure, VCT control circuit, VCT solenoid, camshaft phaser, improper assembly of the camshaft/crankshaft timing chain and sprockets, high friction in the camshaft or other valvetrain components, engine oil pressure sensor, engine oil temp sensor.

Is the new camshaft and lifters OEM or aftermarket?

As for the overheating ... in addition to the other suggestions given ... install a new coolant tank pressure cap. The old cap may not be holding pressure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So I have a 2012 dodge charger rt that started ocvover heating while off. Brand new radiator coolant fan water pump and coolant. Have also have changed all the gaskets since I hade the lifters and camshaft repalced. It throws a code p000b that only comes on when the ac or heater are in. Help
Hi Jo1926,
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern, we kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I have a 2012 dodge charger rt that started ocvover heating while off. Brand new radiator coolant fan water pump and coolant. Have also have changed all the gaskets since I hade the lifters and camshaft repalced. It throws a code p000b that only comes on when the ac or heater are in. Help View attachment 123554
Assuming BOTH fans are running, with things recently replaced, you might need to pull 1/4" pipe plug on front of thermostat housing and purge any trapped air. If that doesn't work, I'd look at changing the thermostat. While putting in a lower temp one helps, once the engine begins to get hot, the fans are factory programmed to come on only at rediculously high temps, so I would buy like a Diablo tuner that allows you to set the fan temps to come on sooner to work with lower thermostat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts