Owner for two weeks, car in shop 7 days - so far....

Discussion in '2018 Dodge Charger Forum' started by bobw, Feb 10, 2018.

1. bobw

bobw New Member

Vehicle:
    '18 Charger SXT
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2017
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Color?:
    Maximum Steel Metallic
    I am officially the biggest loser when it comes to cars.

Bought a new 2018 Max Steel SXT on January 27. Traded my 2014 SE which a different dealer had poisoned by putting the wrong coolant in. Car was puking dissolved aluminum into the coolant. Maybe could have fought them, but decided to cut my losses. '14 had 92k on it.

Anyways, on January 30, car popped a CEL at about 130 miles. P06DE. "Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit Stuck On"

Car to dealer on Jan 31. 80 miles from my house since I'm not going back to the other one. Tech decided bad oil pressure sensor.

Went back Feb 2. Replaced oil pressure sensor. Oil pressure still high - 55psi idle - compared to '14, and to another '18 sitting in lot - both mid 20's at idle after warm up.

Went home. Later that night went to WalMart. Ding... CEL. Read code when I got home. Same.

Off to dealer on Feb. 5. Tech opened Star case. Answer.... Bad oil pump. So I have a car where they have to do major surgery for a problem that was basically out of the gate. I got a loaner - a minivan - and went home.

Fast forward to today Feb 9. Called and "should be ready in an hour" at around 11:00. Drove out. 1:30, still putting together. afternoon goes by, and he's ready to test. Comes out and tells me he has to replace the radiator. Apparently poked a hole in it. More time goes by. He test drives it, and says all is well - except for the CEL when I got in it. Don't remember code, but it was Intake air temp open. Ooops... forgot connector. So I take off and get to the highway. 70 mph highway, and car does a lurch, and a crapload of lights come on. ABS, ESC, CEL, etc. Car grinds down in speed. I pulled over, and tried to take off. Nope. Barely accelerates. Eventually get up to about 40mph. Didn't want to shut it off, but had to. Limp home mode I guess they call it. Start cycle it, and it drives. Meanwhile I'm calling dealer to tell them they better be there.

Get back, and codes are read. Crank / cam position sensor (not sure which). Tech says it's picky, and he had to pull sensors when replacing oil pump. Says probably needed to reseat. He does all that, and I leave. All seems OK. Then I stop at Mcdonalds. When I restart car, engine clanks like a diesel for a couple seconds. Goes away, but I still hear ticking. Step on gas, and ticking goes away. I continue home. Car drives OK.

So, new issue: Every time car started, get a loud rattle - like maybe what's been described if the oil drains out of filter. Not sure what the hell to do now.

Attempt at recording it. Two starts. First it's pretty obvious. Second, not as bad, though the ticking is there after starting. Be aware, that it was raining when I did this, so the sharp continuous ticks are irrelevant. It's rain. Maybe try to get another better recording tomorrow morning.

Attached Files:

2. '18 Scatpack Charger

'18 Scatpack Charger New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2017
    Trim?:
    Scat Pack
    Damn man, you got a lot of patience! I would be livid. Best of luck and let us know how it resolves please.

3. Stevens12

Stevens12 Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger SRT8
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Billet Metallic
    Damn dude, that sucks. Seriously you need a new dealership to service your vehicle. I'd call dodge directly and see about switching to another dealership.

4. B4TD4D

B4TD4D Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2015
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    So wait, this is the service you're getting at the NEW dealership? WTF

5. bobw

bobw New Member

Vehicle:
    '18 Charger SXT
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2017
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Color?:
    Maximum Steel Metallic
    Yes. As said previously, the Wilmington dealer put old type coolant in my 14. Figured Id cut my losses and trade it before it got bad. had 92k on it anyways.

Then this - totally different dealer. And it's worse now. Got up saturday morning to record the new diesel charger noises. Started car from remote while holding phone to record it. Car shut off, and wouldn't restart from remote. Dash says remote start disabled. Started from inside. Car had 6 psi oil pressure - cold - and now has a CEL. read it. P06DD. Oil pump stuck low.

Drove it to dealer I bought it from - very carefully since if I pushed accerator too hard, it would go high in RPM, and not go faster. There it sits. I'm driving a Chrysler 200 loaner. Called a while ago to find out if THEY contacted Chrysler about replacing it. I'm holding off on calling Chrysler because it probably will trigger them to start shit treatment even if I'm not complaining about them.

Once you sign on the dotted line, it's your problem. Lemon law is there, but that is a long process.
    Other tech at dealer says this isn't the first one. He had the same oil pump issue which STARTED as the P06DD

Warning now to anyone buying anything with the V6 3.6 Pentastar in it. Before signing paperwork, sit in car and warm it up watching oil pressure!

I did this while waiting for mine one of the days I was there. Should be 80 or more cold. then creep downwards. At about 170F, it should drop sharply to about 35psi. At 180F the car doing it right had 33psi at 750rpm idle. Bumping to 3krpm got 50psi.
    Mine on the other hand before oil pump replace was around 60psi hot at 55mph. Idle was about 50psi hot. 3krpm was like 80psi or so.

6. YesThisThingHasAHemi

YesThisThingHasAHemi Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2015
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Billet Metallic
    I'd be mad as a hornet wanting a new replacement!

7. bobw

bobw New Member

Vehicle:
    '18 Charger SXT
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2017
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Color?:
    Maximum Steel Metallic
    Update - well no changes really...
    Car still at dealer. Called Chrylser customer service earlier in week. No Callback. Called them back yesterday, and was told they will call me eventually.

Now 13 days in shop. Hands are tied...