Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit, 392 LSD diff, AFE, No cats 2.5 exhaust Dynomax bullet muffers
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
p0219 engine over speed,Diablo platinum hemifever tune, trans nag1, total trans crash.
I decided to do a WOT from stop 1st gear in “D” drive.
1st gear on the Nag1 is 3:54 ratio plus the 3:92 LSD differential revs out very quickly.
so I do it in D drive. as It shifts into 2nd… crash … no gears?
Coast to a stop. Restart all works + Eng light.

P0219 “Engine over speed”?
Why would that cause the tranny to crash?
I’m sure that’s not limp mode but some kind of a safety built in to the transmission TCM, am I the only person this has happened to?

This happed 1 other time about a year ago and I restarted and everything seems fine. I don’t push it that often so I don’t know if it was a one time problem or not except yesterday again.

I am surprised to see “engine over speed”, since it normally shifts at 56-5800 RPMs in “D” drive?
Any wisdom and or help appreciated.

Dedge mechanics are useless because as soon as they see a tuner they say everything is the problem of the tuner… $1000 please ….etc

thanks… I appreciate any wisdom or knowledge concerning this
Tony in Florida

· Registered
3,627 Posts
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) monitors the engine speed over the CAN bus (CAN = controller area network). If the engine speed is greater than a specified RPM the TCM assumes that either the information from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is incorrect or that a major mechanical problem exist. Once the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is set, the TCM will position the transmission gear into neutral to protect the engine and transmissin from damage. The transmission will remain in neutral until the ignition is cycled Off/On.
So yes, your car went into limp mode. It is working as designed. The question is what is the redline RPM setting in your tune and how much over the redline setting did your WOT RPM go? You can do data logging with your Diablo and play it back on your computer. Download the DataViewer app from the Diablo website.
DiabloSport Technical Support - Holley

Contact HemiFever to find out what the redline setting is in your tune. Shifting at redline usually means the actual shift (due to time delay) will occur at an RPM above redline. Depending on TCM programming, shift solenoids, etc... this typically will be about 500 RPM above redline. I believe P0219 occurs 800 RPM above redline. You may want to lower your redline setting or shift points to allow for the time delay. But ask HemiFever what they recommend for your tune.

· Registered
2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit, 392 LSD diff, AFE, No cats 2.5 exhaust Dynomax bullet muffers
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[QUOTE="djalbin, post: 1935642, member: 38082"
[/QUOTE]
Wow, that was the most detailed answer I’ve ever received.
Thank you for sharing your technical knowledge.👍🏻.
Sadly every electronics equipment I own is Apple so I have not been able to look at my data logs.

I will attempt to make a data log and see if it repeats the event.{btw… that event is scary)
I don’t know if “Hemifever” will respond to me since my paid for tune, was a couple of years ago?

I am curious if the wheels speed, (spinning the tires), on WOT would cause an overev of engines rpm’s?
This car with the 3:92 ratio differential lurches & jerks so hard and runs the RPM so fast thru 1st gear, I don’t take my eyes off the road, to watch the Tach because I’m busy keeping the car straight. So I do not see how high RPM is going.

again I thank you
Tony in Florida

· Registered
3,627 Posts
I am curious if the wheels speed, (spinning the tires), on WOT would cause an overev of engines rpm’s?
It's possible. It's the RPM of the engine and not the speed of the car that is being watched by the TCM. If HemiFever does not reply you can look at some of the current tune settings. If you use the Diablo Advanced Tune menus there's a menu to Modify Parameters. This menu allows you to look at the current settings and change them in your current tune; including Rev Limiter, Shift Points and Shift Firmness.
2014 5.7L Hemi engine specs are 5700 redline and 5800 rev limiter. Catch the shift at 5600 RPM and you should be OK. Not catch it until 5800 RPM and you run the risk of over-revving. You can change the rev limiter setting to a higher value but you then run the risk of engine damage ... unless the engine has been modified internally for higher RPMs.

The other parameter you can examine in the Modify Parameters menu, and change if not set correctly, is the Calibrate Speedometer for Gear Ratio.

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other parameter you can examine in the Modify Parameters menu, and change if not set correctly, is the Calibrate Speedometer for Gear Ratio.
I could not find the parameters you spoke of.
In advance I found parameters, tire size, differential ratio etc.

BTW I did get this response from Hemifever:
Since there's no trans control there's no ability to raise the transmission rev limiter. The tune doesn't have the engine limiter raised up but if you used the tuner itself to raise the rev limiter then if you spin it over about 6100 rpm it'll do the limp model.

Sean Powell
www.hemifevertuning.com

if this continues I’ll have to install a shift light? Crazy Stuff
Thanks again for your time.
Tony in Florida

· Registered
3,627 Posts
In advance I found parameters, tire size, differential ratio etc.
The menus may be different in your Diablo tuner and mine (I have the i2). But at least the parameters are there so you can see the settings and change them if needed (e.g. differential ratio).
I don't know if you use AutoStick (manual shifting). If you do ...
If AutoStick is engaged while in DRIVE mode, the transmission will automatically shift up when maximum engine speed is reached.
If AutoStick is engaged while in SPORT mode, the transmission will remain in the selected gear even when maximum engine speed is reached. The transmission
will upshift only when commanded by the driver

The custom tune may have Sport mode enabled or behave like Sport mode.
In AutoStick you can start out in first or second gear. Tapping (+) at a stop will allow starting in second gear. May help with the 3.92 rear gears.

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The menus may be different in your Diablo tuner and mine (I have the i2). But at least the parameters are there so you can see the settings and change them if needed (e.g. differential ratio).
I don't know if you use AutoStick (manual shifting). If you do ...

If AutoStick is engaged while in DRIVE mode, the transmission will automatically shift up when maximum engine speed is reached.
If AutoStick is engaged

The custom tune may have Sport mode enabled or behave like Sport mode.
In AutoStick you can start out in first or second gear. Tapping (+) at a stop will allow starting in second gear. May help with the 3.92 rear gears.
I was not in sport mode.
I was not in auto stick.
So I have confusion here because if I’m in a standard automatic drive.
And punch the throttle it should shift normally at an earlier 5500;RPM and not going to a limp mode?
HemiFeavor claims that there are no adjustments for that with Diablo sport?

so why would it suddenly do that in standard drive mode, that’s the scary question for me.

thanks for any help and information.
Tony in Florida

· Registered
3,627 Posts
You're correct that if driving in full Auto mode "D" the transmission should shift at the predefined shift points - even with WOT. Which Diablo tuner are you using (i3 platinum)? You can contact Diablio tech support or go onto their forum to find out if they have support for setting shift points and where to access it. You need to find out what the current shift point settings are. Did anyone tune the car prior to your ownership? The Z-Automotive Tazer device also allows you to set shift points.
You may want to buy a used Windows PC so you can use the DataViewer app to look at data logs. It's possible the 3.92 rear gears in 1st gear are revving the engine too quickly for the PCM and TCM sample rate to keep up; causing the controllers to go into limp mode.
I have the i2 and it supports the following features (listed below). I have not used the shift points feature because I use AutoStick manual shifting.

Data Logging
Check Clear DTCs
Accepts Custom Tunes from CMR
Calibrate Speedometer for Gear Ratio
Calibrate Speedo for Tire Size
Cooling Fan Control
Disable ESP
Throttle Booster
Fuel Rich/Lean Adjustment
Spark Timing Advance/Retard
Idle RPM
Top Speed Limiter
Rev Limiter
Shift Points
Shift Firmness
Torque Management Adjustment
Disable Active Fuel Management
Reset TCM Adaptation
Disable Skip Shift

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I too have considered the 392 differential and it’s very quick 1st gear wind up with the Nag1trans?
And then in first gear it pretty much tries to blow off the street tires, which I’m sure is not helping.

I am using the Diablo sport I3, I wrote hemifever as I quoted above.

I was searching for the support of Diablo sports, but apparently they are now owned by “Holly” performance….. last night I found a place to contact their tech-support and I explained what happened and I’m waiting for a reply now.

I’ve also read somewhere, someone saying that a lot of these crazy computer codes happen if your battery is not 100% up? I’m not sure if that’s true but I am going to have my battery tested today.

I must say that instalping that 391 limited slip in my car has totally change the personality,
At times it leaps almost Violently hard on acceleration. It is quite impressive.

i’ve been trying to find a set of used rims 10 to 12 in wide …. to mount some slicks on 305 to 325s.
I just can’t see paying $600-$1000 for a rim just to mount slicks on + the cost of the slicks.
i’m an old dude, not a professional racer …. that’s crazy money to me😂 lol

At times I long for the days in my old 331cu in Fire Power hemi and its simplicity.
I don’t like being at the mercy of some technician & how he interprets his computer results and always comes up with at least 3 or 4 possibilities. I thought we’d advance more than that with the right software.

thanks for listening to me ramble on
thank you for your knowledge and advice
Tony in Florida

· Registered
201 Posts
I remember the first few months when I got my '06 Daytona new, even with the granny 2.82 gear, if you punched it and spun the tires rapidly (wet pavement), even in Drive, the engine would often hit the rev limiter and slam into 2nd, causing limp mode. After a few months, I got a Diablo tuner and adjusted my rev limiter to 6200 rpm, and adjusted my shift points to 6000 rpm, and rarely had that issue.

· Registered
3,627 Posts
If you start out in AutoStick you can put the transmission into 2nd gear for launch. Then you can stay in AutoStick or shift to "D" automatic shifting.

· Registered
3,627 Posts
At times I long for the days in my old 331cu in Fire Power hemi and its simplicity.
I had a guy ask me if the round indentions on the crossmember cover were cup holders. I said "yes, that's where you put your drink while you're standing here tuning the engine with your laptop."
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a guy ask me if the round indentions on the crossmember cover were cup holders. I said "yes, that's where you put your drink while you're standing here tuning the engine with your laptop."
View attachment 127381
That is good stuff….funny…. you can’t make that up

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got my battery checked yesterday
According to the 18-year-old (electrical technician), employee at Autozone auto parts, my battery is perfect.
I asked if any cells were getting weak and how did the load test go and he just shook his head yeah it’s perfect. The test equipment was on my battery for a total of 18 seconds ……
I’m sure he was right 🙈🙈🙈

I talked with Diablo Sports Tuner Teck support this morning and they said I should be able to adjust my rev limiter..
When I explain that I do not find it in the advanced parameters he said the tuner may have it locked out?
Well that just sucks also.

I might take it to the Dyno shop and see if he can get to it or what he might see. cheaper than going to the dealer.

thanks again for your help
So frustrated, I just might have to sell it.. Buy something with an engine I can work on.
Tony in Florida

· Registered
3,627 Posts
he said the tuner may have it locked out
They usually ask you to upload or send them the "info.xml" file, from the Diablo tuner, so they can analyze it. Then they send you a software update to download/install on your tuner or they have you connect the tuner to your network so they login to it and fix it ... like they do to unlock a tuner.
My tuner had an issue at one point where I could not select data logging. They sent me a file to load onto the tuner and it fixed the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts