Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello; I am new here but I have a 2010 Charger RT AWD with no mods and I was driving to work two days ago when my car suddenly lost power then started to act like it was misfiring (20min into my commute). I had it towed home and hooked up the OBDII scanner and got the P0340 code; changed the cam and crankshaft position sensors but the car still won’t start. Currently showing no codes but check engine light is still on and it try’s to crank over but will not start. My local dodge dealer suggested putting the old sensors back in and see if that works. I am at a total loss here any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have tried both the fuse pull and battery reset and still nothing. Battery is fully charged no signs of an alternator problem. I am really at a loss as to why it still won’t turn over. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When you replaced the cam and crank sensors, did you use aftermarket parts like Standard or Dorman? Speaking from experience, using anything but OE parts for sensors like cam, crank, wheel speed, etc. can result in a range between non-functional out of the box, to maybe 12 - 18 months. Also, double check your wiring connections and harness going to the cam position sensor for any corrosion or damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cam and crank sensors are NTK from Advance Auto. The wiring and connections look good for an 11 year old car. I still have the sensors I removed but not sure how logical it would be to put them back in considering that is what threw the code to begin with.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The PCM supplies the 5V signal to the sensors. The PCM has 2 main grounds. Both of these grounds are referred to as power grounds. The sensors are connected to these grounds (referred to as sensor returns). The sensor return comes into the sensor return circuit, passes through noise suppression, and is then connected to the power ground. The sensor also sends the cam/crank position signal to the PCM. As already mentioned it's best to use Mopar OEM sensors. When checking the wiring harness/connectors also check the PCM connection and mounting bracket.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cam and crank sensors have to sync together. It takes a few times cranking to sync them back together.
During that process it's easy to flood the engine with fuel. This saturates the plugs with fuel and it won't start. It wouldn't hurt to install new plugs.
P0340 can also be caused by a jumped timing belt or chain. Typical on 4 cylinder engines with belts. If you have a lot of miles on it, I'd check that too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts