Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well I’m getting this P0714 code for the transmission fluid temperature sensor being intermittent. I looked up online to see about getting a replacement sensor but I haven’t found anything. Just wondering if anyone else out there knows what this sensor is and the location? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I assume you have the NAG1 5-speed transmission?
The Electrohydraulic Control Unit Assembly of the NAG1 transmission contains a temperature sensor to monitor the transmission oil temperature. This sensor is wired in series with the transmission Park/Neutral switch. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) expects to see a valid voltage level from the sensor when the shifter is in Reverse or any forward Drive position. The TCM also expects to see an open circuit condition when the shifter is in the Park or Neutral position. If the TCM detects an open circuit when in Reverse or any forward drive position it will set DTC P0714.

If you have the SRT Performance pages, or the EVIC vehicle information menus, where you can see the engine & transmission temps ... the TCM substitutes the Transmission Temperature with the Engine Temperature when there's a open circuit condition in Park or Neutral.

The electrohydraulic control unit includes the shift plate, made from light alloy, for the hydraulic control and an electrical control unit. The electrical control unit is a made of plastic & the electrical components are mounted to it. The electrical control unit is screwed onto the shift plate. The transmission oil temperature sensor is located in the shell of the electric control unit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume you have the NAG1 5-speed transmission?
The Electrohydraulic Control Unit Assembly of the NAG1 transmission contains a temperature sensor to monitor the transmission oil temperature. This sensor is wired in series with the transmission Park/Neutral switch. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) expects to see a valid voltage level from the sensor when the shifter is in Reverse or any forward Drive position. The TCM also expects to see an open circuit condition when the shifter is in the Park or Neutral position. If the TCM detects an open circuit when in Reverse or any forward drive position it will set DTC P0714.

If you have the SRT Performance pages, or the EVIC vehicle information menus, where you can see the engine & transmission temps ... the TCM substitutes the Transmission Temperature with the Engine Temperature when there's a open circuit condition in Park or Neutral.

The electrohydraulic control unit includes the shift plate, made from light alloy, for the hydraulic control and an electrical control unit. The electrical control unit is a made of plastic & the electrical components are mounted to it. The electrical control unit is screwed onto the shift plate. The transmission oil temperature sensor is located in the shell of the electric control unit.
Thank you so much for the detail info. I’m starting to get a better idea of what might be going on.

So does that mean that the shifter plate is located on my column shifter? If that’s the case then that means that my shifter might be bad?

The transmission oil temp sensor is located inside my ECU?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

So I noticed that the wiring harness I made for the column shifter, some of the wires was a little exposed so I wrapped them all up with black electrical tape and plugged it back in.

I did notice when I see the temp reading on the trans temp for a split second it shows an insane number (ex 285F) then back to the normal reading (ex 168F) so I don’t know if I have an open circuit going on. I did manage to delete the code and hasn’t come back on since I checked it yesterday.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The electrohydraulic control unit (shift plate, electrical control unit & temp sensor) is located inside the transmission. But it appears you may have a wiring harness issue that is messing with the voltage or ground signal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts