Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, in the title is the code that is coming up from my brothers OBDII scanner, I'm having a hard time finding what exactly can be done to fix this issue, hoping someone here has an answer. I have a 2010 RT 5.7. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
948 Posts
When you Google the code you will usually get a result that describes the code and usual causes and solutions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you Google the code you will usually get a result that describes the code and usual causes and solutions.
I've tried this with no definitive solution, I'm looking on here for someone with experience with this problem or has a good idea of what I should look to replace

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'm confused with the results from your brother's scanner "P1524 Throttle closed position performance".
P1524 in the Dodge Charger Service Guide is "P1524 - OIL PRESSURE OUT OF RANGE - CAMSHAFT ADVANCE/RETARD DISABLED"

For the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) to enable, the oil pressure has to be approximately 42 psi. For the VCT to remain enabled the engine oil pressure can not drop below 31 psi.
When Monitored:
Engine running. RPM greater than or equal to 1100. Oil temperature less than or equal to 212°F.
Set Condition:
The engine oil pressure never reaches the calibrated specification to allow the VCT activation.

The Service Guide lists 16 different throttle position codes for the 5.7L and none of them are in the range of P1524. I would get a second code reading from another OBD2/CAN scanner to verify the code(s) that are logged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm confused with the results from your brother's scanner "P1524 Throttle closed position performance".
P1524 in the Dodge Charger Service Guide is "P1524 - OIL PRESSURE OUT OF RANGE - CAMSHAFT ADVANCE/RETARD DISABLED"

For the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) to enable, the oil pressure has to be approximately 42 psi. For the VCT to remain enabled the engine oil pressure can not drop below 31 psi.
When Monitored:
Engine running. RPM greater than or equal to 1100. Oil temperature less than or equal to 212°F.
Set Condition:
The engine oil pressure never reaches the calibrated specification to allow the VCT activation.

The Service Guide lists 16 different throttle position codes for the 5.7L and none of them are in the range of P1524. I would get a second code reading from another OBD2/CAN scanner to verify the code(s) that are logged.
Thank you for your input, while on my drive to work this morning I monitored my oil pressure using the EVIC and it seems to not hit 42psi, it hit around 28-29 at some points during idle but at it's highest got to about 39. I'll stop at an auto parts store and get the code confirmed. I'm assuming this would be an oil pressure sensor issue? Thank you for any other help you can provide.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
It could be the oil pressure sensor or the wiring harness/connectors to the sensor. It could also be the oil itself. Check the engine oil level and condition of the oil. Contaminated oil or old oil can cause reduced oil pressure. Use 5w20 oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts