Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Is it bad for my transmission to use paddle shifters all the time? I also use the stick to shift up and down as well as the paddle shifters so I'm concerned if constant use is bad for the transmission. I have a 2014 Charger R/T with a 5.7 engine with 87k miles and only been doing this for about the last 15k miles or so. Any concerns in doing this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Rallye with Plus Package
2,014 Posts
If you have the shifter in "manual" mode, it doesn't make any difference whether you shift gears by moving the shifter or the paddle shifters. I rarely drive in manual mode, but still use the paddle shifters to either downshift (use engine braking), or upshift to lower the RPM. If you use the paddles in auto mode, the transmission will switch back to auto (Drive) mode when you step on the accelerator. To force the transmission to switch to auto mode (useful when downshifting for engine braking), hold the upshift paddle for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is yours a five speed? If so, it is the same tranny as in my Wrangler. It shifts a bit firmer in manual mode, but this will have pretty much no effect on the longevity of the transmission. Depending on your habits you might shift more or less often than auto mode, so that might have a little effect on the tranny, either way.

All in all, I would not worry about that.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Normal driving in Auto-Stick (manual) mode using the console shifter and./or paddle shifters will not have a negative effect on the transmission. Taking the engine RPMs to redline all the time before shifting can have a negative effect.

Reactions: FSTMVR2020

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is yours a five speed? If so, it is the same tranny as in my Wrangler. It shifts a bit firmer in manual mode, but this will have pretty much no effect on the longevity of the transmission. Depending on your habits you might shift more or less often than auto mode, so that might have a little effect on the tranny, either way.

All in all, I would not worry about that.
Yes, it is a 5-speed. This is exactly what I needed to know. When accelerating I'll manually shift through the gears using either the paddle shifters or the stick if I'm turning the wheel. When coming to a stop I'll usually, not always let the car downshift on its own. The only time I'll manually down shift is if I'm in say 4th gear and slow down a bit and the car hasn't shifted down to 3rd on its own. Then I'll down shift to get more power. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I was excited to install paddles on my 2013 R/T but found they to be in the way mostly and a novelty now. But there should I decide a need.
Glad I got lucky cost wise. I cruised salvage sites seeing an add for a column. They had not taken the wheel off yet, the air bag had deployed, but I could see a paddle peeking out in the pic.
Got the wheel for $100.00 shipped. Flashed it with AlfaOBD.

Reactions: White Elemant

·
Registered
27 Posts
There's a reason for that lol....if the need (or want) to shift gears in a curve or turn arises.....gonna want to take your hand off the wheel every time to hit that paddle that's stationary in one spot lol?
Proper way to navigate a curve (track and "spirited" driving) is to brake and select the proper gear before the curve entry, if you have to shift while in the curve, you've effed something up 😏

When exiting curve, you gently apply 110% throttle and start tapping in gears. Proper column mounted paddles are long enough to reach when steering wheel is straight enough to change gear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They are wrongfully right 🙂

Beyond a 90 degree rotation of the steering wheel, the 99.9999% of the everyday drivers will have released their grip on the steeeing wheel such that they no longer are able to operate paddles without repositioning their hands, be they mounted wherever. Also after that 90 degrees, the paddles attached to the steering wheel will be reversed, confusing the aforementioned majority of drivers. Paddles mounted on the column are, of course, static.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I just use the console shifter when turning the steering wheel and use the paddle shifters when the steering wheel is centered.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Considering less than .0001% of everyday drivers have any clue about corner entry/exit dynamics
That's one of the reasons the steering and suspension geometry is designed with a certain amount of understeer ... most everyday drivers will brake in the middle of the curve to slow their speed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts