Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Is it bad for my transmission to use paddle shifters all the time? I also use the stick to shift up and down as well as the paddle shifters so I'm concerned if constant use is bad for the transmission. I have a 2014 Charger R/T with a 5.7 engine with 87k miles and only been doing this for about the last 15k miles or so. Any concerns in doing this?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is yours a five speed? If so, it is the same tranny as in my Wrangler. It shifts a bit firmer in manual mode, but this will have pretty much no effect on the longevity of the transmission. Depending on your habits you might shift more or less often than auto mode, so that might have a little effect on the tranny, either way.

All in all, I would not worry about that.
Yes, it is a 5-speed. This is exactly what I needed to know. When accelerating I'll manually shift through the gears using either the paddle shifters or the stick if I'm turning the wheel. When coming to a stop I'll usually, not always let the car downshift on its own. The only time I'll manually down shift is if I'm in say 4th gear and slow down a bit and the car hasn't shifted down to 3rd on its own. Then I'll down shift to get more power. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts