Dodge Charger Forum banner

Painting crosshair/grille silver to black

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TexasFinest 
G
#1 ·
Hi, I have no experience whatsoever in painting or messing around with my car, but I've been wanting to paint over my silver crosshair black for a while now. I've gathered enough information on the paint job itself to be comfortable doing it, but I'm not comfortable removing the crosshair from the car. I don't know if I could manage to get it off let alone get it back on when I'm done. Does anyone think I could paint it while it is still on the car? Has anyone done this?

thanks,

mike

#2 ·
there s a write up on here. go to the search bar and type in crosshair removal
hope that helps

#4 ·
Your better off taking it off the car! You will be happier in the long run with your paint job. You can remove the grill without taking the facia off................but I like just taking the whole facia off cause it is way easier to get the grill out and seated back in when done. Also when you have to off you can fix or paint or add some other stuff you might have wanted to do to your car as well. Once you have taken your front facia off once its a piece of cake the next time and so on.............

There is a great write up on here about how to do it step by step and you will not be sorry for taking your time and doing it right!

G
#5 ·
The guides I've seen all look pretty complicated, especially to someone who has no experience and no idea what they're doing inside the hood of a car.
From what I've gathered, your best case scenario is getting the grille off being cut and scuffed up trying to find some phantom screws along the way. If its that difficult to get off, I can't imagine how hard it'd be to get back on.
I won't even mention taking off the entire fascia because that's even more out of the question.
I guess if there's no way to do it with the thing still on the car I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it or pay someone. And I'm really against paying someone...:shakehead:

#7 ·
I am having a mod day September 4th, if you are willing to make the drive down we will be more then happy to give you a hand.. I also will have my stock Daytona grill for sale cheap, we could just swap it out with your chrome one..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.