·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you adjustthe parking brake on the srt8

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
i dunno but mine sucks. you put it fully on and the car still rolls back an inch or so till the trans catches in park. i just figured it was a bad design or the parking brake was an afterthought on Brembo racing brake set ups.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dunno but mine sucks. you put it fully on and the car still rolls back an inch or so till the trans catches in park. i just figured it was a bad design or the parking brake was an afterthought on Brembo racing brake set ups.
fully engaged mine still rolls like the brakes not even on

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
fully engaged mine still rolls like the brakes not even on
i haven't tried to park on a hill in neutral and see what happens with the E-brake. I'll have to do that and see if it still rolls.

i really don't use E-brakes for parking on auto trans cars unless I'm on a steep hill.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
On the R/T (don't know if the SRT8"s are the same) the emergency brakes are two small brake shoes that expand into the hub area of the disc.

Those shoes are really small; even when my car was new if I had them on and forgot then started to drive away, those ebrakes barely held.

You can adjust those shoes (if the SRT8's have them) just as the drum brakes are adjusted to be as close as possible to the drum surface.

I seriously consider carrying two wheel chocks and not rely on those ebrakes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
how do you adjustthe parking brake on the srt8
PARKING BRAKE SHOE ADJUSTMENT

While most vehicles require only a fine adjustment of the parking brake shoes, some vehicles may require a preliminary adjustment before a fine adjustment can be made. If a preliminary adjustment must be made, refer to PRELIMINARY ADJUSTMENT following the fine adjustment procedure listed below.

1. Place parking brake lever in “full released” position.
2. Raise and support vehicle. (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/HOISTING - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

3. Remove plug in parking brake shoe support to access adjuster star-wheel (1). NOTE: Through the access hole (2), rotate the adjuster star wheel (1) in the following direction to expand the shoes outward against the drum.

• Left brake – Rotate star-wheel toward rear of vehicle.
  • Right brake – Rotate star-wheel toward front of vehicle.
4. Using an appropriate tool, turn adjuster star wheel (1) until wheel will not rotate (dead lock).
5. Back off adjuster six detents (teeth).
6. Rotate wheel, checking for light drag. If drag is too heavy, continue to back off adjuster one detent at a time until light drag is present. Do not back off star-wheel more than 17 detents from wheel lock.
7. Install access plug.
8. Adjust opposite wheel parking brake shoes using same method.
9. Lower vehicle.
10. Apply and release parking brake lever once to ensure proper operation of parking brakes.
PRELIMINARY ADJUSTMENT

1. Remove rear brake rotor.

2. Using Brake Shoe Gauge, Special Tool C-3919, or equivalent, measure inside diameter of parking brake drum portion of rotor. Set Gauge.

3. Place Gauge (1) over parking brake shoes at widest point.
4. Using adjuster star wheel (2), adjust parking brake shoes until linings on both park brake shoes just touch jaws on gauge.
5. Install rear brake rotor. (Refer to 5 - BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/ROTORS - INSTALLATION)
6. Perform fine adjustment of parking brake shoes.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PARKING BRAKE SHOE ADJUSTMENT

While most vehicles require only a fine adjustment of the parking brake shoes, some vehicles may require a preliminary adjustment before a fine adjustment can be made. If a preliminary adjustment must be made, refer to PRELIMINARY ADJUSTMENT following the fine adjustment procedure listed below.

1. Place parking brake lever in “full released” position.
2. Raise and support vehicle. (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/HOISTING - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

3. Remove plug in parking brake shoe support to access adjuster star-wheel (1). NOTE: Through the access hole (2), rotate the adjuster star wheel (1) in the following direction to expand the shoes outward against the drum.

• Left brake – Rotate star-wheel toward rear of vehicle.
  • Right brake – Rotate star-wheel toward front of vehicle.
4. Using an appropriate tool, turn adjuster star wheel (1) until wheel will not rotate (dead lock).
5. Back off adjuster six detents (teeth).
6. Rotate wheel, checking for light drag. If drag is too heavy, continue to back off adjuster one detent at a time until light drag is present. Do not back off star-wheel more than 17 detents from wheel lock.
7. Install access plug.
8. Adjust opposite wheel parking brake shoes using same method.
9. Lower vehicle.
10. Apply and release parking brake lever once to ensure proper operation of parking brakes.
PRELIMINARY ADJUSTMENT

1. Remove rear brake rotor.

2. Using Brake Shoe Gauge, Special Tool C-3919, or equivalent, measure inside diameter of parking brake drum portion of rotor. Set Gauge.

3. Place Gauge (1) over parking brake shoes at widest point.
4. Using adjuster star wheel (2), adjust parking brake shoes until linings on both park brake shoes just touch jaws on gauge.
5. Install rear brake rotor. (Refer to 5 - BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/ROTORS - INSTALLATION)
6. Perform fine adjustment of parking brake shoes.
is this for a brake shoe set up. this is very detailed, wher did you find this?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i haven't tried to park on a hill in neutral and see what happens with the E-brake. I'll have to do that and see if it still rolls.

i really don't use E-brakes for parking on auto trans cars unless I'm on a steep hill.
My driveway is on a hill and every time i put my car in drive there is a thud because the tranny is holding the car on the hill. I dont want to do any damage to by flywheel

·
Registered
151 Posts
No, this is for the the emergency brake adjustment. The rear brake setup of your vehicle has rear disc brakes , the rotor ( once removed ) has a drum on the backside of the rotor where the emergency brake shoes reside. This is the procedure straight from Mopar service manual

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts