Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got an 07 sxt with 124k. Ive recently had upper control arms , tension strut, and quick struts put on. I still have a clunking noise. Sway bar links and bushings were also replaced at 85k. Ive kind of accepted the clunk but now i hve the steering going to the left. Since i put my 20 inch chrome wheels on it has gotten worse. I don't know how old the tie rods are, but my mechanic said they are okay. However the inner tie rods twist back-and-forth with my hand. Is this normal? When turning the steering wheel with the car off there is actually play in the tie rods and if you look from under the car you can see that they mov back-and-forth. A clunk can be heard when turning the wheel with the car off and even a little bit when its on if you turn the wheel back and forth quick enough. I know i need an alignment, but could the tie rods be bad? Thats why i think my fron end is still clunking. Also, everything has been replaced with moog and the quick struts were monroe.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
The easiest way to check out your tie rods is with the wheel off the ground, grab the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and see if you can rock the tire back forth, as in pulling with one hand while pushing with the other. You might be able to hear or feel any wear but might be helpful to have an assistant looking at the tie rods as you pivot the wheel. If the inner tie rods are worn you won't see anything but if your assistant put their hand on the steering linkage that goes into the steering unit they might be able to feel the "clunk" as you pivot the wheel.
If this description is "clear as mud", I'm sure there's a good video or two on You Tube..
Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts