Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere (i'm sure it has) but I wasn't able to find an exact answer on my search. I just picked up a 2009 Charger R/T with 116k miles. I have no idea what the service history has been. Based on the condition of the air filter (and cabin filter) it has been neglected recently. But overall seems to be in really good shape. I have heard mixed things about changing the trans fluid on higher milage cars as sometimes dirty fluid is the only thing keeping it working. I want to do all I reasonably can at this point to get it tip top and keep it running as long as possible, but don't want to introduce a problem by trying to do the opposite.

If I did change it I would probably do it myself by dropping the pan and draining from the hose. All shops I have contacted only want to do a full power flush.

How would you approach this?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Dropping the pan and changing the filter and fluid that drained out is pretty much the norm.

·
Registered
948 Posts
No full power flush on a transmission you don't know the history of.

Fluid and filter change as recommended

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Read up on the procedure for checking fluid level. The NAG1 (W5A580) 5-speed transmission fluid level check is temperature dependent ... the correct fluid level depends on the fluid temperature.

The information is available (free access) at the following website. It's in the repair section. The maintenance section only provides the recommend maintenance schedule.

https://www.roswell-nm.gov/1112/Chilton-Auto-Repair-Library

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I would let the dealer service it. That way you get all the old oil out of the torque converter too...plus the dealer knows the spec for getting the correct fluid level.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I've never been a big believer in that "changing out old, dirty fluid will kill your tranny" thing. I'm more of a "when in doubt, change it out" guy.

My preference would be to grab 4 one-gallon jugs of Valvoline MaxLife full-synthetic ATF from Wallyworld, drop the pan, change the filter, and do a passive flush (as you describe, using the lines and the transmission's own pump). As djalbin pointed out, you'll need to check the fill level at a specific temperature to get the level just right.

Also, I'd put in an aftermarket dipstick. You can find those on that website that's named for a river in South America for about $20.

You could just drop the pan and leave it at that, if you're okay with just mixing four quarts of clean fluid with ten quarts of old, dirty stuff. But definitely stay away from a power flush.

A good compromise would be to install an aftermarket pan with a drain plug, and change out the pan fluid every other oil change or something like that, until you're satisfied that you've got plenty of fresh fluid in circulation.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never been a big believer in that "changing out old, dirty fluid will kill your tranny" thing. I'm more of a "when in doubt, change it out" guy.

My preference would be to grab 4 one-gallon jugs of Valvoline MaxLife full-synthetic ATF from Wallyworld, drop the pan, change the filter, and do a passive flush (as you describe, using the lines and the transmission's own pump). As djalbin pointed out, you'll need to check the fill level at a specific temperature to get the level just right.

Also, I'd put in an aftermarket dipstick. You can find those on that website that's named for a river in South America for about $20.

You could just drop the pan and leave it at that, if you're okay with just mixing four quarts of clean fluid with ten quarts of old, dirty stuff. But definitely stay away from a power flush.

A good compromise would be to install an aftermarket pan with a drain plug, and change out the pan fluid every other oil change or something like that, until you're satisfied that you've got plenty of fresh fluid in circulation.

Good luck!
Perfect thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts