Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am in need of some help. I want to build a box and back cover out of plexiglass. I know it can be pricey and that is why I am here for help. I want to build it with the following concept. I want to replace the back tray with a plexi cover and build a small enclosure for a 10' kicker L5 solobaric. I will be splitting it in two with a hinge so it can open like the stock one would. so I need it to be 39" wide and 15.75" in height. and the second peice 39" wide by 24.75" tall. The box pieces will be (2)14.5" long and 3" high (1) 13" long by 3" high and (1) 14.5" long BY 13" high, this piece I want to be black if possible.

I am not sure I made the dimesnions right but hopefully it makes sense. I am wanting it to be 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Let me know where I can get these the cheapest. If the place cuts it that would be great! If not I can take a sheet that is big enough to cut all these locally. I am in Ventura COunty in So-Cal.

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I checked them out and they are pretty pricey for 3/4" and 1". I was hoping to find a cheaper place or even a local spot if possible.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Thanks, I checked them out and they are pretty pricey for 3/4" and 1". I was hoping to find a cheaper place or even a local spot if possible.
Yeah, I wasn't for sure of the cost. What was the price looking like?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a 1 inch thick sheet to cover all of that is about $200 and 3/4 inch is about $180. I was hoping to see about $80 or less, but I also had no idea how much that stuff costs.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
a 1 inch thick sheet to cover all of that is about $200 and 3/4 inch is about $180. I was hoping to see about $80 or less, but I also had no idea how much that stuff costs.
yeah that seems pricey.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I been shopping craigslist to see if anyone is looking to get rid of any. If any of you find some let em know, if it is cheap enough I may pay for shipping, as I think that is a lot since it is so heavy.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
I am stopping by my guys audio shop tomorrow. I will ask him for a price on the size you specified and get back with you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am stopping by my guys audio shop tomorrow. I will ask him for a price on the size you specified and get back with you.
Thanks man! Keep me psoted, not sure how much the shipping would be but if it saves me some money at the end cool! :TU:

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Thanks man! Keep me psoted, not sure how much the shipping would be but if it saves me some money at the end cool! :TU:

Ok I got cha!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I may be able to get my hands on some 1/4" Lexan. I hear it is more than twice as strong as Plexi. WOuld this work for what I want to do? I know someone here has to know about this stuff. My back cover will be in 2 parts so it can fold up like the stock one does. I plan to build a small sealed box for the sub into the cover. I am only mounting 1 10" L5 solobaric. Will this work if it is 1/4" Lexan?

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
My bad I didn't have the time to run by my installer today. I will go tomorrow.

·
Registered
513 Posts
probably not with the Lexan, sine your fighting vibration not tensile strength and mass stops vibration ( IE - heavy is good for audio).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts