Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This IS a really stupid question but anyway......I see allot of people talking about PORTED throttle bodys on the Z.....so my question is if i buy this product [url]http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/product_p/mmhvtb35.htm[/URL] even though the description of it on the site does not contain the word PORTED is this in fact a ported throttle body? and what excactly does ported Mean?....thanks in advance...

and also i would just like to say that chargerforumz has really helped me out alot and im sure others like me that want to mod thier ride but are not sure where to start.....so ide just like to say thanks to all the kind folks at the Z....THANKS!:TU:

·
Registered
136 Posts
It is shaved down, bigger opening, more air to mix with more fuel = more faster:dork:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Some manufactures "port" an existing throttle body to make the opening wider, thus allowing more air flow. Other manufactures mill/manufacture their own with the larger opening to achieve the same results. The porting of an existing TB is easier and less cost intensive to do, so they are generally a little less expensive to the end consumer. A milled TB, that is already manufactured to the larger specs will usually cost a little more because they are building the actual product and not just modifying the existing product.

I have not heard of anyone being dissatisfied with either version. There are varying results even among users of the same like type product. A lot of the results will depend on other mods you have on your car as well as how well your car is tuned to match those mods (Thus the NEED for a predator). So either way you choose to go I am sure you will be happy. Make sure you purchase from one of our supporting vendors. They are truly the people who make this place (The Z) great and give us the products and deals we need to have the best cars on the road.

If nothing else the TB will give much better throttle response and remove some of the "lag" our charges are known for.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
465 Posts
This IS a really stupid question but anyway......I see allot of people talking about PORTED throttle bodys on the Z.....so my question is if i buy this product [URL="http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/product_p/mmhvtb35.htm"][url]http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/product_p/mmhvtb35.htm[/URL][/URL] even though the description of it on the site does not contain the word PORTED is this in fact a ported throttle body? and what excactly does ported Mean?....thanks in advance...

and also i would just like to say that chargerforumz has really helped me out alot and im sure others like me that want to mod thier ride but are not sure where to start.....so ide just like to say thanks to all the kind folks at the Z....THANKS!:TU:
Most likely it's ported and I'm glad we can help you. That's what this site is all about.:TU: 71mm is over our stock 68mm so you'll get a much better response than what our stock provide.

Some manufactures "port" an existing throttle body to make the opening wider, thus allowing more air flow. Other manufactures mill/manufacture their own with the larger opening to achieve the same results. The porting of an existing TB is easier and less cost intensive to do, so they are generally a little less expensive to the end consumer. A milled TB, that is already manufactured to the larger specs will usually cost a little more because they are building the actual product and not just modifying the existing product.

I have not heard of anyone being dissatisfied with either version. There are varying results even among users of the same like type product. A lot of the results will depend on other mods you have on your car as well as how well your car is tuned to match those mods (Thus the NEED for a predator). So either way you choose to go I am sure you will be happy. Make sure you purchase from one of our supporting vendors. They are truly the people who make this place (The Z) great and give us the products and deals we need to have the best cars on the road.

If nothing else the TB will give much better throttle response and remove some of the "lag" our charges are known for.

Hope this helps.
Great explanation! How's that new engine?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info

Hope this helps.
i have CAI duel exhaust and diablo predator 91 tune.....after the throttle body should i do a custom tune? and if so will a custom tune make my car faster?

·
Registered
222 Posts
i have CAI duel exhaust and diablo predator 91 tune.....after the throttle body should i do a custom tune? and if so will a custom tune make my car faster?
A custom tune may be able to get some more horses out of your car but it's not necessary with the mods you're talking about.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a ported 87mm tb. My question is would the butterfly on a mfg. 87mm be different (matched to) the size of the 87? Porting from 80mm to 87mm but the butterfly was made for an 80mm.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a ported 87mm tb. My question is would the butterfly on a mfg. 87mm be different (matched to) the size of the 87? Porting from 80mm to 87mm but the butterfly was made for an 80mm.
The butterfly on the 87mm tb is still the stock 80mm. The front and back of the tb is 87mm. I actually had a long convo about the 87mm tb with a vendor that sells them on another website. I was going to buy a 87mm tb, but I went with a Arrington cast 85mm tb because the butterfly is 85mm

·
Registered
465 Posts
A custom tune may be able to get some more horses out of your car but it's not necessary with the mods you're talking about.
It will also help out with the A/F ratio which you will need with a bigger TB. Mine runs right, but I think it maybe running slightly too lean, which he can do himself, but it works better on a dyno.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same mods on my car and from all that I've read... it is a good idea to get a Dyno tune after the TB upgrade so that your car can maximize the benefits.

I've been looking at a TB upgrade as well and think that if you go with a cast, not ported, you will have a better mod as the cast TB is designed to be that size. (As mentioned above for the Hemi TB) About a $100 difference ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts