Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 11 years and 125K miles, my baby has given me its first problems. After about 5 minutes of driving in the morning, it seems to "get stuck" in 4th or 5th gear and won't let me shift manually. I can shut the car off, start it back up and then it's just fine until the next morning. I thought I'd try to outsmart it and drive it in manual the 3rd morning, but then I was in 5th gear and it stuck there (and would not let me downshift) until again I turned the car off then restarted it. I had the tranny flushed about a year and half ago when it had about 95K on it, I see no fluid leaks or anything of that sort. Anyone have any ideas before I take it to a shop? No trouble codes popped up (at least from a "check engine" light point of view..Is it possible to read transmission codes without a code reader?) Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I'm not sure what's causing the "stuck in 4th/5th gear" but the key Off/On cycle recovery is typically what happens after the car goes into Limp-In (limp home) mode.
The TCM (transmission control module) continuously checks for electrical problems, mechanical problems, and some hydraulic problems. When a problem is sensed, the TCM stores a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Some of these codes cause the transmission to go into Limp-In mode.
In some cases limp-in will de-energize all the solenoid and regulating valves ... the effect is the last engaged gear remains engaged.
The check engine light may not have come On but a scanner that can read the TCM codes will be able to see what was logged.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts