Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2 channel dash cam and it came with both the power port plug and a hard wire harness. I know the fuses boxes are in the trunk and under hood but is there an under dash power point for consumer use? The harness has some length but not enough to go to the fuse boxes. I need both switched and constant 12v and ground obviously. Was hoping to run the power to under dash.
i haven’t looked yet to see how to remove the lower dash but figured I would check here first before I go rooting around.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wish I could help. I bought a Rove R2-4K dash cam months ago and still haven't gotten around to installing it. Reading instructions is my Kryptonite. Lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wish I could help. I bought a Rove R2-4K dash cam months ago and still haven't gotten around to installing it. Reading instructions is my Kryptonite. Lol
Yeah I have that issue sometimes as well. ;)
I did find this tho.... Pinout for the infotainment Center harness.
These cameras don't pull enough juice to screw up the head unit ....do they?

Dodge Charger (2015-2017) RJ4/VP4 UConnect Head Unit pinout

In looking at this, I can only assume that ...
Pin1 - Constant 12v +
Pin2 - Switched 12v +

Pin 11 Constant -
Pin 12 Switched -

And Pin 43 is common ground
I was thinking of tapping into pins 1 & 2 for 12v power then using the common ground.

Or am I reading this wrong?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so no answers on the OEM power points.
How about a 12v switched and constant that I can tap into inside the cabin? Kick panel, door sill, etc?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have mine plugged into the cig socket for now, but want to find something by the mirror housing. Look there yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pulled power for my radar detector from the rear view mirror wire harness. I got a mounting bracket and power tap kit on Amazon. There may be a kit for your dash cam. Super happy with the installation, way cleaner than the coily wire bouncing up and down while driving.

Can't post a link but I had ordered "Mirror Mount 3001109".

Loses power when ignition is off too, even though cabin lights still work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled power for my radar detector from the rear view mirror wire harness. I got a mounting bracket and power tap kit on Amazon. There may be a kit for your dash cam. Super happy with the installation, way cleaner than the coily wire bouncing up and down while driving.

Can't post a link but I had ordered "Mirror Mount 3001109".

Loses power when ignition is off too, even though cabin lights still work.
I am needing both switched and constant. My camera setup has a park feature with motion sensor that records for movement when the vehicle is parked.
I am thinking that I am going to tap into the center console harness and run the wires under the dash and up through the A pillar. Just need to find out which wire is which and an easy place to tap into it. The rear power port inside the armrest is constant and the front one by the pocket is switched. Just need the nerve to take apart the console now. I just got this car 3 weeks ago. ??
Mine came with a plug in power cord and a hardwire cord. Hopefully long enough to make the round from the windshield to the power.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sure your camera doesn't have a battery back-up? Mine does, and turns on if the car is hit hard. Mine powers down with the ignition.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. So I finally pulled the console trim and pocket so that I can see two harnesses going towards the rear of the console... with a load of wires. So...anyone have a schematic? Or know the color code for the 12v constant in the rear of the console?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts