Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Power Steering Warning. This happened to my newly acquired 2014 Pursuit Saturday. Steering wheel is very hard to turn.
  • NO codes (read faults using AlfaOBD).
  • Pulled the engine fuse for 45 minutes, just to reset things.
  • Still no codes - just the warning light on the EVIC and very hard steering.
  • The reservoir is FULL. I cannot find any leaks
  • NO whining noise
I did find that both fuse 3 & 19 were removed. When I asked the dealer, he said sometimes police departments will add an inline fuse & bypass the fuse box. Guess what I found this morning?! The red side of the PS pump has a heavy duty 50A inline fuse (see photos). The zip tie is there is to hold the fuse in place. The fuse is not loose, so I assume this was an extra precaution.
I took the fuse out and visually inspected it. Tested the fuse (with test light) and it shows good. Nonetheless, I put 50A fuses in 3 & 19. No change. Tested fuse 39 (also for PS). It is good.

I drove the car Thursday. The dealer drove the car Thursday. And, I drove it about 15-20 miles Saturday before any of this started. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm completely stumped. Please help me, if you can.

Audio equipment Electronic engineering Circuit component Electronic component Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Vehicle door Wire

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The pumps are known to fail, not sure if that is the case. If fluid was added when low there is a procedure to get the air out.
A couple people have told me to empty, refill & bleed the system. From the symptoms, do you think that could/would fix the problem? I'm willing to go buy the vacuum pump. I just don't want to throw money away. Would this pump be okay?

Is this a good procedure to use for bleeding the system?

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,880 Posts
A couple people have told me to empty, refill & bleed the system. From the symptoms, do you think that could/would fix the problem? I'm willing to go buy the vacuum pump. I just don't want to throw money away. Would this pump be okay?

I would find the Dodge procedure and do that I would not use a pump. I am not sure of the exact process but it involves having the wheels off the ground and turning the steering wheel back and forth.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
It's similar but some of the details are different than the Dodge Service Manual procedure.

The Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) pump requires a different power steering fluid. Do not mix power steering fluid types. The EHPS system uses fluid which meets material specification MS-11655 or equivalent.
  1. Check the fluid level when the fluid is at normal ambient temperature
  2. For Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) systems, cycle the steering wheel lock-to-lock three times with the engine Off.
  3. Insert Power Steering Cap Adapter
  4. Attach Hand Vacuum Pump, with reservoir attached, to the Power Steering Cap Adapter
    Failure to use a vacuum pump reservoir may allow power steering fluid to be sucked into the hand vacuum pump.
    Do not run the engine while vacuum is applied to the power steering system.
    When performing the following steps make sure the vacuum level is maintained during the entire time period.
  5. Using Hand Vacuum Pump, apply 20-25 in. Hg of vacuum to the system for a minimum of three minutes.
  6. Slowly release the vacuum and remove the Vacuum Pump
  7. Adjust the fluid level as necessary.
  8. Repeat Step #1 through Step #7 until the fluid no longer drops when vacuum is applied.
  9. Start the engine and cycle the steering wheel lock-to-lock three times.
    Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops.
  10. Stop the engine and check for leaks at all connections.
  11. Check for any signs of air in the reservoir and check the fluid level. If air is present, repeat the procedure as necessary.

Auto part Font Circle Bicycle part Drawing

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@dodgeguy, @djalbin sent the Dodge procedure. I am doing that tonight.

I did a fluid replacement yesterday. Afterwards, I started the engine for a couple minutes. There was no PS warning light and the steering wheel turned with ease.
Last night, I started the engine and turned the wheel lock to lock 7x. On the 7th time, the Power Steering Warning light came back on. And, the steering wheel was very hard to turn.

So, does that indicate:
A) Air in the system
B) System needs a full flush
C) Bad pump

FWIW, I didn't do anything else as it was around 10pm when I was checking.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Power Steering Warning light came back on
If the warning light came On there should be a fault code. The AlfaOBD communicates with the PCM/ECU, ABS, transmission and BCM (body control module) but I don't know if it communicates with the EHPS module. Since the warning light is On, you can probably get a free scan at AutoZone, etc ... with a scanner that can read all modules/codes.
Problem could be the pump or there's still air in the system. Maybe not all the air was extracted or there's a gasket/seal that's letting air into the system. If there's no fluid leaks anywhere the problem may be the gasket seal on the fluid reservoir cap or a crack, etc... in the reservoir tank above the Full line.
The EHPS pump assembly is pricey to replace so you want to make sure the problem is the pump before replacing it.

Reactions: CharlieJ

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the warning light came On there should be a fault code. The AlfaOBD communicates with the PCM/ECU, ABS, transmission and BCM (body control module) but I don't know if it communicates with the EHPS module. Since the warning light is On, you can probably get a free scan at AutoZone, etc ... with a scanner that can read all modules/codes.
Problem could be the pump or there's still air in the system. Maybe not all the air was extracted or there's a gasket/seal that's letting air into the system. If there's no fluid leaks anywhere the problem may be the gasket seal on the fluid reservoir cap or a crack, etc... in the reservoir tank above the Full line.
The EHPS pump assembly is pricey to replace so you want to make sure the problem is the pump before replacing it.
As it turns out, the 50A inline fuse had blown. I assume this happened during the stop to stop turns as the warning light was off and the steering was fine until that 7th round. I replaced the fuse and decided to try it without anything else. Steering is good; no warning light. I drove it all weekend with zero issues. So, I'm guessing the fluid replacement, along with "burping" the air was the actual fix. Then, I complicated things by blowing the fuse. So, when the fuse was replaced, everything was fine.

THANKS to all who offered assistance and advice. In the end, for the price of a quart of MS11655 fluid and a 50A fuse, my car is drivable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts