Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this forum doesn't really have a 'build logs' section like some other non-charger ones I'm on, I figure I'll have two threads. One for audio related and other for, well, everything else :)

From day one of acquiring my car the goal has been to build a sound quality competition vehicle. For those not familiar with it, sound quality competition is very different than the more well known SPL competitions. SPL being all about how many DBs can you post on a meter. Sound quality's aim is to provide as much of a live concert experience as possible. Or more accurately, to reproduce the sound that the recording engineer intended. Think of it this way, if you went to a live music experience, say a concert, and you sat on the left side of the front row (to simulate being in the driver seat), then that is what we try to achieve.

So, a judge sits in the car with a score sheet and scores how well the stage is presented, depth, height, tonality, focus and a few other things. They look for things like is the singer in the middle of the stage? Does the drummer sound 10 feet behind the singer? Is the bassist over on the right? If the singer is right up on the microphone, does it sound like that? or if the singer is 5 feet back, so it sound like (s)he is 5 feet back.

So, with that little primer, I have acquired my third piece of equipment. These are a pair of 5.25" Fountek speakers. I will be using either these or a pair of JL Audio C5-400's (4" speakers) for midrange duty. I'm going to experiment with putting these in the doors to replace the factory 6x9's. These are under $40 a piece.

My 1st purchase is actually a hold over from my truck build. These are a pair of Vifa XT25's 1" tweeters. These little babies are under $20 a piece. I think I got them on sale for like 18 or so. I added some quick disconnects to them and soldered the speaker wires, covered with techflex. These will go in a custom 'pod' in the sail panels.

My 2nd purchase I don't have a picture of, but it is a pro audio DSP unit, a Rane RPM88. It is currently being modified with a new power supply to run on 12 volts by a good friend of mine.

The rest of the equipment I will be getting after the first of the year in one big purchase. All JL Audio stuff. It will consists of 2 1000/1 XD amps to power the 13W7 sub, 2 600/6 XD amps to power the rest of the speakers, a pair of ZR800's 8" speakers for midbass duty and two JL units that will allow me to integrate my factory setup into it all, so I can keep my 8.4 uconnect unit.

I also intend to compete in the installation portion of the competitions. I've modeled the trunk of the car in Google Sketchup to allow me to play around with amp locations and such. I'll take a screen shot of that if anyone is interested. Part of what I am going to do is build a beauty panel shaped like the grill but with illuminated acrylic. Here are some pics of me getting a template for the grill:

I'll use that to made the opening of the beauty panel.

In a few weeks I'll have the rest of the equipment and the installation thrash will begin :) First major show I'll attend will be in College Station, TX in June. Going to be a pretty big show there if this past year was any indicator (over 40 sq cars).

If the car does well this coming year I'd like to make the trip out to daytona in 2015 for the spring break nationals, but we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the initial design for the acrylic piece for the amp beauty panel

The mopar and JL logos will be cut out and the whole piece will be edge lit with LEDs. The shape is taken directly from the template I posted earlier, so it will be the same size as the grill.

·
Registered
15,692 Posts
^^Schweeeeet! Will be following this build!

·
Drive it like u stole it!
4,819 Posts
I had friend compete in the db drag racing back in the day and went with him as couple times. I got into it a little but never competed though. I ended up going the way of sound quality over trying to be as loud as I could. I still hit almost 140 db but was shaking bolts loose to the point where my truck had issues opening and would stick. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the future.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had friend compete in the db drag racing back in the day and went with him as couple times. I got into it a little but never competed though. I ended up going the way of sound quality over trying to be as loud as I could. I still hit almost 140 db but was shaking bolts loose to the point where my truck had issues opening and would stick. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the future.
I don't necessarily mind the SPL stuff. Heck I was a bass-head back in my youth :) I put a JL 13 and a 250w amp in my daughter's Jeep Compass because she wanted some "wub wub" for Christmas last year :D

I will do some spl, but it won't be the main focus. In MECA, they have an award called BOBOS which is Best Of Best Of Show. It comprises of two SPL formats, install, SQ and RTA. I'd like to shoot for that at finals. The cap on SPL is 150 and I think I can get mid to high 140's without too much trouble. In IASCA they have a similar category called Triple Crown, which is SPL (130 max), SQ, install and rta (yea it's 4 categories...). I plan to build the sub enclosure so that it can switch from SPL mode to SQ mode with a switch, just for those purpose.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can't wait to see how the build progresses and to see the finished product in person. Are you putting the zr800's in the doors?!? I have some Morel 8", and figured on putting them in the kicks because I don't really know how to go about modifying the factory mount in the door.

Post that screenshot, if you don't mind. The trunk is another stumbling block for me. I have all my stuff in there, but it's not the best looking solution.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't wait to see how the build progresses and to see the finished product in person. Are you putting the zr800's in the doors?!? I have some Morel 8", and figured on putting them in the kicks because I don't really know how to go about modifying the factory mount in the door.

Post that screenshot, if you don't mind. The trunk is another stumbling block for me. I have all my stuff in there, but it's not the best looking solution.
I thought I recognized your username :) had to check diyma to be sure. And here I thought no one would find me on this forum lol.

The ZR's will be going into the footwells actually, behind the pedals and vented externally. I could actually fit 10's in there if I was a bit more crafty, but JL doesn't make a 10" midbass and I didn't want to spend the extra dough for a set of AE 10's. They would really rock, but ultimately not worth the extra expense at this point.

Kick panels can sort of be done, but there really isn't any room and you end up losing the whole dead pedal space. These cares just aren't made for a kick panel install. That's when I saw how much depth there was behind the pedals and thought "hmm..."

The trunk.. I've spent hours and hours staring and thinking about the trunk and how everything is going to lay out. It would have been a bit easier if I had decided to not do any spl, since I'd just run one or two 15's IB and be done with it. But I'm not, so it's taken a bit more thought. The spare tire well was a serious consideration but I think I'm going to save that for the air ride setup. I'll take a screenshot or two of the sketchup model when I get home and post it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
cant wait to see how it turns out,i just wish the alpine in my charger sounded as good as the harmon kardon in my wife's chally.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cant wait to see how it turns out,i just wish the alpine in my charger sounded as good as the harmon kardon in my wife's chally.
It drives me nuts too. really good audio is kind of like hipo engine mods. Once you've ridden in or built a fast car you just can't stand to drive a little stock 4 banger or whatever anymore :)

I'm that way with both things. I grew up around muscle cars. My truck has a 500hp 383 that I built. I like fast. I've also listened to some of the finest high end sound systems in the country and listening to this thing everyday is just frustrating. And once the audio is mostly there I'll start contemplating the performance side of the side, but that will be another thread :D So far it is fun and it gets out of its own way, but I want more

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are two snapshots of the sketchup model I'm working with. One is sort of a "as you look into the trunk" view. The Rane RPM88 is the DSP unit (it's big). What is modeled here is the trunk floor, wall to the back seats, package tray and the side areas that go into the fender area.

I added the two side areas because I'll most likely use them for possibly and extra battery, the factory integration units and possibly and arduino unit to control some automated functions.

The area under the package tray will be taken up with the amps and sub enclosure. The beauty panel I posted before will go across the back, so the rane will be hidden. I do no have the amps showing in this one as I changed my decision on the amps from when I first started the model and haven't gotten around to putting them in yet. They will mostly likely be stacked on a welded 1x1 frame.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got speaker in today. All 400ft of it..

probably enough for 4 or 5 cars :)

Amps and rest of speakers are on order, so hopefully they will come in before too long :TU:

·
Registered
178 Posts
subscribed! noob question (quality/Loudness) how would you compare those 5 1/4 speakers to some selenium 6" 6w4p? Selenium what i grown up using and thinking bout changing those stock 6*9 soon

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not heard the Selenium's myself, but what little I know of that speaker suggests it is more geared towards midbass duty where as my 5's are midrange drivers.

So, if you are using the stock amp setup and replacing the 6x9's they would probably be a good choice, as the factory speakers are setup for bass/midbass.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I will throw in a amp and replace all, 2 front and 2 rear speakers. so since i am gonna use a 15" l7 for bass i should go with midrange probably be louder and sound better since selenium will provide bass and its not what ill need. correct me if i am wrong. and if so i might get the same or similar setup that you are getting

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your 15 will be good up to say 80hz or so max. The 6's, assuming they are good midbass drivers, should be able to take over from there on up. My 5's could probably play 80hz fine, but not with any authority like those 6's could probably do. My 5's will be playing from about 300-400hz up to about 3k, give or take. I have 8's that will be playing from 300hz down to where ever I have my sub come in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds like a good setup!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My JL equipment is due tomorrow (4 boxes worth!), and in prep I decided to RTA the car to see where it is at factory. This is with three eq settings set to flat.

So what is it saying? well, it says that from 100hz down the factory setup has what looks like a 24db high pass. The sub bass drops of quite a bit. Not good. The high end does the same at about 8k. That sucks lol

I decided for the moment on getting the PAC C2A-CHY5 module which will allow me to bypass the factory amp and provide line out that way. Hopefully that will give me a more full range input for my DSP, instead of trying to boost all that low end and high end. It also shows about a 15db drop from 200 to about 375, which is quite a bit. The rest isn't too bad considering lack of any 'real' eq.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts