Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 07 SE that I plan on trading in for an SRT before the end of the year. I have a few questions though to finalize my decision. Any insight is appreciated

What are the differences between the 2009 and 2010?

What are the cons to going used rather than new? I don't plan on getting a car used for fleet or rental but I've heard that R/T and SRT models often get driven "hard" by the first owner. I'm looking for one that's less than 15k miles so that it isn't "broken in" too much.

I've heard that it is better to use Premium unleaded (91 oct) rather than normal unleaded. Opinions?

Also, on the dodge website, pictures show the instrument cluster LEDs being blue rather than green but any picture I've ever seen has the green LEDs. I just like the look of the blue better than the green lol. :D Do these models have the blue LEDs in the dash as depicted in the pictures below?
http://www.dodge.com/en/2010/charger/innovations/conveniences/
http://www.dodge.com/en/2010/charger/safety_security/accident_avoidance/

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I like the blue better, too. Mine are green. I think the MyGIG was improved in 09, as well as a different tail-light design. Not sure of anything else...I have an '08

·
Registered
507 Posts
The owners manual calls for minimum of 91 octane for the 6.1L Hemi. I have a 08 and did not see many differences in mine and the newer ones other than some minor cosmetic changes such as tail lights. They all have the crappy lug nuts. The SRT is the way to go for unadulterated power. Once you drive a SRT you will wonder why you didn't buy one before.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The SRT's have not changed much from 2006 to 2010. As far as I know there is no difference between 2009 and 2010 models.

Here's the additions these model years got:
2008: Got improved interior, HID's available, more rim options
2009: Got LSD and stronger rear-end, Revised Taillights

·
PLS EMAIL INSTEAD OF PM
1,649 Posts
I think the people that buy R/Ts and SRTs on average take BETTER care of their cars than people who buy SE and SXTs - probably because they invested a lot of money, might have a higher average age/more money to upkeep the cars etc etc.

I bought an SRT with 85000 miles. It's lived a slightly rough life, but it still runs like a scolded car and will last for another 200k easily.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I think the people that buy R/Ts and SRTs on average take BETTER care of their cars than people who buy SE and SXTs - probably because they invested a lot of money, might have a higher average age/more money to upkeep the cars etc etc.

I bought an SRT with 85000 miles. It's lived a slightly rough life, but it still runs like a scolded car and will last for another 200k easily.
I totally agree.

For most V6 charger owners (I'm not talking about the members on this forum) their charger is just a simple means of transportation with a little more style. This lessened enthusiasm means less maintenance and care... you don't see this with the Hemis as much.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts

I totally agree.

For most V6 charger owners (I'm not talking about the members on this forum) their charger is just a simple means of transportation with a little more style. This lessened enthusiasm means less maintenance and care... you don't see this with the Hemis as much.
Well put, guys. Most people here take pride in their cars, regardless of trim level. It's the unheard masses that treat their cars like appliances...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, I live in Vegas and we don't have a good track record for safety when driving lol. Hopefully I don't get a worn out Hemi

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Unfortunately, I live in Vegas and we don't have a good track record for safety when driving lol. Hopefully I don't get a worn out Hemi
You're talking about Vegas' driving record and not your own I hope? As a 19 year-old in Vegas if you have something bad on your driving record... your insurance quote on a Hemi will likely make your jaw drop.

Just a word of warning.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an 07 SE that I plan on trading in for an SRT before the end of the year. I have a few questions though to finalize my decision. Any insight is appreciated

What are the differences between the 2009 and 2010?

What are the cons to going used rather than new? I don't plan on getting a car used for fleet or rental but I've heard that R/T and SRT models often get driven "hard" by the first owner. I'm looking for one that's less than 15k miles so that it isn't "broken in" too much.

I've heard that it is better to use Premium unleaded (91 oct) rather than normal unleaded. Opinions?

Also, on the dodge website, pictures show the instrument cluster LEDs being blue rather than green but any picture I've ever seen has the green LEDs. I just like the look of the blue better than the green lol. :D Do these models have the blue LEDs in the dash as depicted in the pictures below?
[url]http://www.dodge.com/en/2010/charger/innovations/conveniences/[/URL]
[url]http://www.dodge.com/en/2010/charger/safety_security/accident_avoidance/[/URL]

Thanks in advance!
I got the '10 SRT8 it was new off the lot with less than 30 miles just from test driving before i got it.. i always use 91 gas my friend told me that it was the best so i am not taking any chances..

I test drove an '07 and an '08 before i bought mine that were used cars and they drove like crap... had no power when you hit the gas so i said screw it and bought new i didnt want one someone else had screwed over. Sometimes you can find one that wasnt messed over though cuz the '07 i bought that my ex drives still drives awesome! Though i dislike the interior of his.. i prefer the newer interior.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're talking about Vegas' driving record and not your own I hope? As a 19 year-old in Vegas if you have something bad on your driving record... your insurance quote on a Hemi will likely make your jaw drop.

Just a word of warning.
Oh no, my record is clean but because it's Vegas, my insurance is automatically high because of my age and because Vegas is 24/7 town with all day drinking. On a 07 SE, my insurance used to be $1200 every 6 months and now it's down to $999 every 6 months. That's with driver's education and good student discounts. Luckily I had the money to pay the car off or I would never be able to afford it. I can't wait to see the quote for an SRT :(

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I use nothing but 93 octane in my SRT. It's got 36000 miles on it and I'm not always gentle on the throttle. But like was said before, SRT owneers may run their cars hard. But most take very good care of them. I wouldn't have a problem buying a used one at all.
TXSweet's RT is pushing 100K and has had very few mechanical problems. Alternator went out a few days ago. That's the worst maintenance problem yet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the '10 SRT8 it was new off the lot with less than 30 miles just from test driving before i got it.. i always use 91 gas my friend told me that it was the best so i am not taking any chances..

I test drove an '07 and an '08 before i bought mine that were used cars and they drove like crap... had no power when you hit the gas so i said screw it and bought new i didnt want one someone else had screwed over. Sometimes you can find one that wasnt messed over though cuz the '07 i bought that my ex drives still drives awesome! Though i dislike the interior of his.. i prefer the newer interior.
I could go new, but all the dealerships around my area are very low stock on '10s because of the '11s coming out :TD:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Well, I have no idea about your credit rating, but being young I'd definitely encourage buying a used SRT. Keep in mind the second you drive it off the lot you're losing about $12,000 depending on the trim level. And, if you finance a $40,000 car you can expect to pay $60,000-$70,000 to pay it off without a huge down payment.
If you can buy a 1-2 year old SRT for 23k-29k you will save a lot of money. Now, if you make a lot of money and that's not an issue, then buy brand new!
One tip if you go used, CARFAX.

Either way, good luck! Be patient and you can find a great deal.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Oh no, my record is clean but because it's Vegas, my insurance is automatically high because of my age and because Vegas is 24/7 town with all day drinking. On a 07 SE, my insurance used to be $1200 every 6 months and now it's down to $999 every 6 months. That's with driver's education and good student discounts. Luckily I had the money to pay the car off or I would never be able to afford it. I can't wait to see the quote for an SRT :(
Who are you going to for insurance? No matter what car you get expect your rates to go up or hold steadly until you turn 25, with a relatively clean driving record. The only things that lowered my rate was getting married, having a 4-door car, and buying new. Hope it works out for you. You'll love the SRT8.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I have no idea about your credit rating, but being young I'd definitely encourage buying a used SRT. Keep in mind the second you drive it off the lot you're losing about $12,000 depending on the trim level. And, if you finance a $40,000 car you can expect to pay $60,000-$70,000 to pay it off without a huge down payment.
If you can buy a 1-2 year old SRT for 23k-29k you will save a lot of money. Now, if you make a lot of money and that's not an issue, then buy brand new!
One tip if you go used, CARFAX.

Either way, good luck! Be patient and you can find a great deal.
My down payment should be around 13k (turn-in value of my SE). But I agree about going used and that's probably what I'll do when the time comes.

Who are you going to for insurance? No matter what car you get expect your rates to go up or hold steadly until you turn 25, with a relatively clean driving record. The only things that lowered my rate was getting married, having a 4-door car, and buying new. Hope it works out for you. You'll love the SRT8.
I go through the Hartford. It was the cheapest for me back in Sept 08 when I got the car. I'm only expecting a $50-$100 raise from what it's at right now. I hope it doesn't go up too much :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

Wow, that's highway robbery... I'd expect that for a Hemi, but an SE? That's just wrong. At least you can expect it to go down at 21 and 25 years old.

I'd also recommend a used SRT. They haven't changed much over the years - 2008 started the updated interior, 2009 started the upgraded rear with LSD and beefier halfshafts. Those are the only two big changes for the life of our SRT's.

Fort pricing, SRT's seem to bottom out around $20k for 2006's... so they're holding their value well. Even five more years from now I'd expect a 2006 SRT to go for over $10k still.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I definitely want the new interior. I don't particularly like the two tone interior that my 07 currently has lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Assuming you qualify for a 5.71% loan over 60 mos., your payment would be $587/mo. on a '10 SRT8 that you should be able to pick up for $40K with the Option Group II and III and a sunroof, assuming your trade is worth $13K. Over the life of the loan, you'd pay a total of a little over $35K, which isn't horrible.

I am always fearful of how someone drove that "slightly used" car - you just never know. But to eliminate that risk costs $$ - everything's a trade.

And as for insurance increases - I'm not sure every insurer calculates an additional risk (which equals higher premium) for the SRT8 over any other V-8 Charger. I don't believe mine did.

I'm looking for a '10 and can attest to how few are out there - and that it is a good time to buy if you are in the market. I do find lots of black SRT8's - I am not overly fond of them but I see you have a black car already, so you should have an easier time finding another one (and getting a good deal) than I will trying to find another color. I'm going to be in Vegas this coming week and will visit Towbin for s___s and giggles - I'm not impressed with their lack of followup, but hey, if the car is right and the price is right, who knows?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts