Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to do a cam swap in my 07 rt, I'm going with the spartan plus and also replacing the lifters, springs and pushrods. I already have the bolt ons out of the way, plus also have a 100 shot with tune to go along with it. Now here's the million dollar question, what's the highest (roughly guesstimate) I can go on rwhp without grenading the trans ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I looked up the NAG1 tranny on wikipedia, and I'm not 100% sure of the horsepower rating they can handle, but I know for sure they can handle 895 lb ft of torque, which is what's gonna make or break the power to the pavement. As we all know, torque is what actually puts the power to the ground.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Actually I was wrong, found the info for ya as far as torque goes, but still doesn't directly answer your hp question.

The Mercedes-Benz 5G-TRONIC (also called 722.6) is an electronically shifted 5-speed overdrive automatic transmission. It is in the process of being replaced by the Mercedes Benz 7G-Tronic Transmission which was introduced in 2003. However, all V12-powered cars such as the S600 and S65 AMG still retain the 5G-Tronic, which has a torque capacity of 796 lb-ft, as the newer 7G-Tronic is limited to 542 lb-ft, not enough to handle the torque from the V12 engine.[1] Also, while rear-wheel drive W211 E-Class cars have adapted the 7G-Tronic, those with 4MATIC retain the five-speed automatic, although the current generation W212 E-Class released for the 2010 model year has dropped the 5G-Tronic entirely, except for four-cylinder models.
In Chrysler applications this transmission is identified as the New Automatic Gearbox- Generation One, or NAG1.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dodge put the NAG1 in the new 392 SRT8. They come stock with what? 470 crank hp? I assure you that a R/T with a cam swap, the tranny can handle it just fine.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
^+1, The Paramount VB costs around $600 and would give you firmer shifts in addition to extending the life of the trans for that extra hp. Not sure how much you will be making at the wheels with a Cam and 100 shot in a 07 but it sounds sweet!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been looking at getting the paramount vb but just need to save the money up and pull the trigger lol I'm shooting for about 450ish with the shot just to be safe. Just wasn't sure on how high I could go

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
How many miles do you have on the trans? Reason I ask is because I know of several Chanty's that are running around 450 hp to the wheels with the stock trans. 450 rwhp seems to be the limit for taking the stock trans before slippage starts occuring from what I have read. That and Police cruisers that get on it all the time.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Paramount VB. I have seen a few mixed reviews on the blue tops. Google both and see the reports for yourself and decide.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
There is only 46k on the trans, I've been looking to see if there is a vb on here for sale and for a good deal on one online as well
That is not too many miles on the trans but if you want to play it safe the VB will prolong the life of the trans especially if you plan to get on it alot with 450. I would keep checking Paramounts website for sales along with some of the other vendors that want to get rid of stuff that has been on the shelf a while. High horse performance and Modern Muscle come to mind that have sales all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do not believe the 07 R/T trans is any different than the 08 and up. Here is an article on what breaks (Transmission included) for the 08 - 11 Hemi by Hotrod.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general/hrdp_1105_what_breaks_on_2008_to_2011_dodges/

800+ ft-lbs of torque without modifications is dreaming IMO. Maybe good for one or two passes
That's probably rated in newton meters, which would be about 580 ft-lbs. Considering that many people relate that slippage occurs around 550 hp, and redline is about 5000-5500, then that's probably accurate.

What you'd want to do is change out the cam and springs to be able to rev higher. It will give you more hp without raising peak torque which is what breaks trannys. If you get to 6500-7000 rpm with 580 lb ft of torque you're looking at 700-800 hp as a limit for a stock nag1.

Now I'm just getting into this platform so I'm not sure but you may need a torque converter that can rev that high, not sure that the stock one won't balloon out...

Jaden

1 - 18 of 18 Posts