Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have heard (and read) great things about Meguiars products. I went out I bought the leather conditioner (the pump top version) and applied it only to the driver seat, which is black leather. It appeared to go on nice with the microfiber towel, then I used a separate one to buff off any excess, but it seemed to dry real quick.

Next day I drive it to the store, get out, and in the seat portion, I noticed some streaking lines. Not sure if you'd call them white or not, but it looks like the imprint of my butt (I'm sure to be the "butt" of all jokes now, I know), well more the jeans.

Now it kind of freaked me out as I had my parents using this product for years and no problems (however, they had tan leather which may not have shown it as much) and a friend with two black leathered cars that never said he had a problem. So I went home and used it again, trying to apply a consistent amount, but really working it into the leather ridged and flat areas of the seat in this R/T Plus. This was Sat afternoon. I did not use the car yesterday (Sun). This morning I drove into work, checked the seat, and there's still signs of something, but not as bad.

Any clue as to what I am doing wrong? I assume I have not permanently damaged the seats?

Any help, suggestions is appreciated.:TU:

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
This is one of the reasons that I try to avoid leather, myself, but maybe they just need a little more conditioning. Seems like most of the leather that I see is sort of stiff, and not pliable. I'm thinking that it could use some softening up with a little more application of some leather conditioner. I don't personally have any experience with it, but here's a bump to help you out, and I'll follow along, as I'd like to condition the black leather seats in my gf's Fusion sometime this spring.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is one of the reasons that I try to avoid leather, myself, but maybe they just need a little more conditioning. Seems like most of the leather that I see is sort of stiff, and not pliable. I'm thinking that it could use some softening up with a little more application of some leather conditioner. I don't personally have any experience with it, but here's a bump to help you out, and I'll follow along, as I'd like to condition the black leather seats in my gf's Fusion sometime this spring.
I appreciate the bump. I considered it at the time, as I've had leather before but it was light tan and in an older car that received some neglect from me as I was a lot younger at that time.

The manual from Dodge says damp cloth, but obviously unless the car is parked in shade and climate controlled all the time, the leather would deteriorate quite a bit over time compared to conditioned leather. I just assumed it would be easy to do and not add something to obsess about. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue. I use Meguiars leather conditioner on both my cars, and have never had an issue with residue. Everybody at my Saturday wash and detail uses it too. I usually put in on generously, let it soak in for 15 minutes and buff it off with a microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about your issue. I use Meguiars leather conditioner on both my cars, and have never had an issue with residue. Everybody at my Saturday wash and detail uses it too. I usually put in on generously, let it soak in for 15 minutes and buff it off with a microfiber cloth.
I applied it pretty generously, but didn't let it sit long as it seemed to soak in and dry. So basically, I'd say I was buffing it off after 5 min or so. I did this both times. I used microfiber, went in circular motions, used enough pressure to get it in good. It ironically, did not leave streaks everywhere though. Like most of the back to the seat is fine. The sides were ok as well I believe. And yes, I shook the bottle really well. lol. I only mention that as I used to be a computer tech and would sadly have to ask some customers if they had their power cord plugged in or the power turned on. :)

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
"No ma'am, when I say 'use the mouse to click on the icon', I do not mean that you shoudl pick up the mouse, put it against the monitor, and click the button..."

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a better applicator than a microfiber towel? Something not likely to bunch up as you are applying and buffing? I mean I had it folded into a fairly average size square.

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
Chemical Guys make a microfiber-covered, sponge shaped applicator that looks perfect for this job.
Amazon link here

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did you clean the leather before you applied the conditioner? The streaks you may be seeing are the dirt and grime build ups from sitting on the seat. It may be a new car, but it still gets dirty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you clean the leather before you applied the conditioner? The streaks you may be seeing are the dirt and grime build ups from sitting on the seat. It may be a new car, but it still gets dirty.
Well I guess the problem with some of these "all-in-one" products is they seem to indicate that it is a cleaner AND a conditioner. I'd driven it for maybe 3 weeks, but not a whole lot. Nothing really rubbed off the seat onto the microfiber and besides white lint, which I dusted off, it seemed clean.

I just assumed this would clean as it conditioned per the box. Not sure if my method is at fault.

The problem with this situation is I don't know if the conditioner is at fault or if the conditioner brought out some existing imperfection in the seat. I mean, I assume the seat is not messed up forever, I hope.

·
Drive it like u stole it!
4,819 Posts
I'm one of those people at the Saturday wash and detail and never had an issue. I love the stuff and won't use anything else. That sucks you had issues, good luck though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. It's a bit infuriating though as I'm not sure what variables is causing the problem. I'm obviously not a pro-detailer, so not sure how hard I'm supposed to rub the lotion in to the leather and then buff it without damaging things. I put some elbow grease into it, but dang, after 2 times, it makes me wonder.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wait until a hot, sunny summer day, sit the car outside all day with the windows rolled up, then apply the leather conditioner. The hot seat basically immediately melts the conditioner and lets it soak into the leather. I've been doing it like this for years and have never had an issue with streaking. I typically do two applications a day apart, once a year.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait until a hot, sunny summer day, sit the car outside all day with the windows rolled up, then apply the leather conditioner. The hot seat basically immediately melts the conditioner and lets it soak into the leather. I've been doing it like this for years and have never had an issue with streaking. I typically do two applications a day apart, once a year.

I don't doubt you, but Meguiars instructions said to use on a cool seat. Of course, that's relative. I was backing the car out of the garage with my butt on the seat, so some warmth was transferred. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use Meguiars myself on my black leather. I have no problems like you describe. I have thought of using saddle soap because it works better at conditioning and cleaning on my boots. But, with the perforated seats I'd be afraid I wouldn't get it all out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have the perforated sports seats, just the regular ones. Is everyone that is using Meguiars using the newer gel conditioner in the Gold Class bottle that replaced the old cream version?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts