Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got the 2011 se model of the charger without home link. right now im using just a normal garage door opener but i was wondering how hard it would be to add homelink to it? if i buy the overhead console is it just plug and play or will it not work at all? any other suggestions for more of an OEM-feel garage door opener? any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
491 Posts
It seems like HomeLink messages come up on the EVIC or the radio display when programming. I could see it being plug and play if you came up with power, but you may not get any notifications about it from the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was unable to find any answers to this online. I just added HomeLink to my 2011 Charger Pursuit. The stock overhead console and the HomeLink console are identical except for the extra buttons and some circuitry inside. The connectors are the same. However, my car did not have all the wires populated in the 16 pin connector.

I purchased a used HomeLink console and used my old one for testing. I traced out the pins using a multimeter set to continuity. The Black/Green wire from Pin 5 connected to large areas of the circuit board and I determined it to be Ground. Pins 4 and 7 supplied +12v when the door opens, then gradually dims. Pin 8 supplies +12v whenever the ignition is active.

I jumpered Pin 1 to Pin 8 to provide power to the HomeLink (Red wire below). The lights lit up, but it didn't function. I pulled it apart again and did some more testing. I discovered Pin 2 connects to large areas of the circuit board including many ICs. I determined this to be signal ground. So I jumpered Pin 2 to Pin 5 (Green wire below). You will definitely want to wrap some electrical tape around Pin 8 as it is very close to Pin 7 and can short +12v to signal ground if you aren't careful - especially because when reassembling the wires I added get scrunched by the console.

Success! Now the HomeLink remote functions fine whenever the ignition is on, and there are no modifications to the car wiring, only the console. So if I get another Charger I can simply swap the overhead consoles to add HomeLink to that one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is awesome - I just picked up a 2013 Pursuit and have been looking for someone to show me the way on this project lol

Thanks Bad_Karma!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was unable to find any answers to this online. I just added HomeLink to my 2011 Charger Pursuit. The stock overhead console and the HomeLink console are identical except for the extra buttons and some circuitry inside. The connectors are the same. However, my car did not have all the wires populated in the 16 pin connector.

I purchased a used HomeLink console and used my old one for testing. I traced out the pins using a multimeter set to continuity. The Black/Green wire from Pin 5 connected to large areas of the circuit board and I determined it to be Ground. Pins 4 and 7 supplied +12v when the door opens, then gradually dims. Pin 8 supplies +12v whenever the ignition is active.

I jumpered Pin 1 to Pin 8 to provide power to the HomeLink (Red wire below). The lights lit up, but it didn't function. I pulled it apart again and did some more testing. I discovered Pin 2 connects to large areas of the circuit board including many ICs. I determined this to be signal ground. So I jumpered Pin 2 to Pin 5 (Green wire below). You will definitely want to wrap some electrical tape around Pin 8 as it is very close to Pin 7 and can short +12v to signal ground if you aren't careful - especially because when reassembling the wires I added get scrunched by the console.

Success! Now the HomeLink remote functions fine whenever the ignition is on, and there are no modifications to the car wiring, only the console. So if I get another Charger I can simply swap the overhead consoles to add HomeLink to that one.
I did this. Got a used overhead with homelink, did the jumpers as the post says and it worked!! Programmed my garage door and driveway gate. I did not note anything on my display but I dont care about that. Thanks for the post!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I bought a 2013 homelink overhead to add to my 2019 SXT which didnt have it. plug in and nothing.. pin 1 had 3.2v. i checked them all and pin 8 has 14v when running and 12v when not so it is a constant power, i soldered a jumper like you did from pin 1 to pin 8 and BINGO. programed fine and works perfectly. I did not jump the grounds to make it work, only 1 and 8

thanks for the heads up on this fix

·
Registered
2019 Charger SXT Plus w/Blacktop Pkg, w/ Leather Pkg, & W/Nav & TravelPkg
37 Posts
Update: I pulled the overhead console w / Homelink from my 2017 SXT (wrecked - thanks to a cow!) and put it in my new(er) 2019 SXT Blacktop w/Alpine w/Leather (oops, bragging :)).

It is a whole lot easier to jumper the back side of the plug versus soldering / taping, etc. as described. Jumper from pin 1 & 8 as instructed. I used the smaller plug tap connectors from a radar detector mirror tap wiring harness. Piece of cake. Didn't even have to reprogram!

Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts