Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about cost, how realistic the mod is and if it's commonly done, and would have to do anything with the ecu so the car can adjust? I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff if your can't tell haha. I'm used to my simple 6-speed stick.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a feeling that would be the case, thanks
I would take that with a grain of salt as the part numbers on the floor pans are the same for 5 and 8 speed cars. Besides that you would need ALL the wiring from an 8 speed car and much of the interior along with the newer rear end and trans braces. A 6 speed manual swap would be easier for sure.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm curious about cost, how realistic the mod is and if it's commonly done, and would have to do anything with the ecu so the car can adjust? I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff if your can't tell haha. I'm used to my simple 6-speed stick.
Cost is probably astronomical (if it can be done well and everything works), not really a realistic swap or more people (so far that I know of, no one has done it to anything newer than the 70's).

Regarding the trans comments, more importantly than any kind of fit (there's always metal work), the NAG1 has a TCM under the dash that controls it; the ZF 8HP70 and 8HP90 (which turns out are not swappable for upgrade purposes) have what is basically their TCM...INTERNALLY. They also run on next gen CANbus. Integrating that into an older CANbus vehicle and having to function correctly (if at all) is the trick. This is why that Canadian dealership that got famous for putting a Hellcat in a Ram couldn't upgrade the trans; they had to use the existing 8HP70 and transfer case. Pretty sure the way that Ram owner (and anyone with that much power) would drive it that the trans is living on borrowed time since it's only rated for a max input torque of 561 ft/lbs (stock Hellcat is 650). It's actually easier to put a new VVT hemi with an 8sp into say, a '71 Charger or some such than it is to try and integrate it into an older electronic vehicle. Thus far I have not heard definitively that someone had figured it out other than unconfirmed rumors that Arrington had.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cost is probably astronomical (if it can be done well and everything works), not really a realistic swap or more people (so far that I know of, no one has done it to anything newer than the 70's).

Regarding the trans comments, more importantly than any kind of fit (there's always metal work), the NAG1 has a TCM under the dash that controls it; the ZF 8HP70 and 8HP90 (which turns out are not swappable for upgrade purposes) have what is basically their TCM...INTERNALLY. They also run on next gen CANbus. Integrating that into an older CANbus vehicle and having to function correctly (if at all) is the trick. This is why that Canadian dealership that got famous for putting a Hellcat in a Ram couldn't upgrade the trans; they had to use the existing 8HP70 and transfer case. Pretty sure the way that Ram owner (and anyone with that much power) would drive it that the trans is living on borrowed time since it's only rated for a max input torque of 561 ft/lbs (stock Hellcat is 650). It's actually easier to put a new VVT hemi with an 8sp into say, a '71 Charger or some such than it is to try and integrate it into an older electronic vehicle. Thus far I have not heard definitively that someone had figured it out other than unconfirmed rumors that Arrington had.
Thats why I said you would need every inch of wiring and module from a 15+ car. With a parts car it wouldnt bee too bad and wouldnt cost much.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Wait what lonestar? If I supercharge my scat I can't swap my 70 for a 90?????
Nope, at least not that anyone but the factory has figured out to do.

Thats why I said you would need every inch of wiring and module from a 15+ car. With a parts car it wouldnt bee too bad and wouldnt cost much.
Yep, that would get you an 8HP70, but then you have the joy of trying to integrate that new harness into the old platform, lights, HVAC, cluster etc. Can't graft 15+ everything into it, though the cluster and display would be cool.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wait what lonestar? If I supercharge my scat I can't swap my 70 for a 90?????
Yes you can.. Chuck at Hell Raiser performance in Florida is selling new HP90’s with converter and fluid for 6500.00 and has a kit to put them in 6.4 cars along with the software to make them work .

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes you can.. Chuck at Hell Raiser performance in Florida is selling new HP90’s with converter and fluid for 6500.00 and has a kit to put them in 6.4 cars along with the software to make them work .
He needs to advertise beyond facebook then lol, that's the only place I could find it. Expensive though, starting at $6500 and sharply north from there.

·
Registered
243 Posts
He needs to advertise beyond facebook then lol, that's the only place I could find it. Expensive though, starting at $6500 and sharply north from there.
6500 for a new HP90, converter and fluid didn't seem bad to me when the rebuilt HP90 ( trans only ) from Paramount is only a little less. I bought a 1000whp HP70 with a 1 year warranty from Hellraiser for 4500.00 . sitting on floor waiting to go in car so no results at this point.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Really wanna impress, he needs to figure out how to retrofit the 8sp to the older generations. He'll make a shitload of money on that one.
He addresses the 5 to 8 speed swap a bit on his FB page . does not sound like it will be as easy as the HP90 in place of a 70 swap is.

·
Registered
981 Posts
He addresses the 5 to 8 speed swap a bit on his FB page . does not sound like it will be as easy as the HP90 in place of a 70 swap is.
Looks like someone else figured that out. Chuck sent me over to http://soundgermanautomotive.com/
I asked if an 8HP70 could be fairly easily retrofitted to a NAG1 car and just to further challenge I also asked if it could be retrofitted to a PCI bus 03 Ram with a 545RFE. Response I got was yes to both, give us a call.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks like someone else figured that out. Chuck sent me over to http://soundgermanautomotive.com/
I asked if an 8HP70 could be fairly easily retrofitted to a NAG1 car and just to further challenge I also asked if it could be retrofitted to a PCI bus 03 Ram with a 545RFE. Response I got was yes to both, give us a call.
Nice! gotta love someone going after a big demand in the market .
WOW.. just looked at their website . That’s huge ..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts