Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone can help me here. I just got a 2012 Charger RT. It came with the 4.3/RHA radio (the lowest model possible). I purchased the 8.4/RB5 from LKQ. It's a legitimate company (not stolen) that pulls pieces from wrecked cars. I got the radio brain & 8.4" LCD screen from the same vehicle, so the VIN's match.
I tested the radio this weekend (I'm waiting on the dash bezel to come in) to make sure it wasn't DOA. The radio is asking for a "Code". I've seen previous forum threads on here where someone mentioned a sticker on the radio. I haven't been able to locate any such sticker.
I asked two different dealers yesterday in which they both told me that they have never encountered someone upgrading the radio with a used radio & that they don't think it can be done. All the upgrades or swaps for dead units they have done have been with brand new units.
I'm really hoping to be able to get this to work. I couldn't justify spending the $1700 buying a brand new one from the dealer when I was able to get this one in very good condition for 1/3 the price.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you,

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I cant confirm it right now, but I thought I read were you have to call Chrysler and have the radio serial number changed to your vin#. But I'm not 100% on that. Or the dealer can flash it.
Here u can download the users manual for the radio to get u started.
[url]http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/[/URL]

I have a question, is that radio out of a 2011 or 2012?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's out of a 2012 Charger, which is the same year as mine. Are you saying I'm going to have to send it in to Chrylser and have them change the serial number on the new one to match the VIN on my car?
Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Naw, you shouldn't have to send it in. Just call them and if you explain the situation they should give you the code to unlock it... That said a fair amount of guys have run into the code issue while working on their system, lockpick installs come to mind. As I recall, in more than one case the code request cleared itself after having power restored for a while. Your situation is a bit different, so it may or may not clear itself.

Jeff

·
Registered
321 Posts
Am definitely interested in seeing how this turns out and such since that is something I am considering getting done on my ride as well. the 4.3 seems so small after running the nav for past several months.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i was going to order the 8.4 setup about a month ago
they guy at Steve White told me take it to the dealer and they hook it up and enter the code for you
did you also purchase the AC Control that has the slot for the SD card?
i think its around 335 for that additional part
i decided to wait and see what the aftermarket looks like, if not going to order the 8.4 with the AC control part with slot

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ 2Cav, thank you..I'll call Chrysler tomorrow or Thursday and see if they'll help me with it. I'm still waiting on the dash bezel, so I don't/can't have it installed yet. Since mine is the police package, the bezel is just slightly different in that the gear selector is on the steering column. The dash bezel is just slightly indented where the selecter meets the column. I have a body shop that's ordering the bezel for me and that's going to help me modify it so that it will fit. I really hope that this will work. I really want to have the 8.4" screen & Sat radio as well as the back-up camera.

@tngstnrnt: I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

@ JoeKooL83: I was able to get the face piece with the radio. It was only about $10 more. We were guessing that's what the part meant when it said "w/ face". Glad I did.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
All the 2011 and 2012's came prewired for the backup camera, IF u had the 8.4 radio, I dont know if the cars are prewired with the smaller radio installs. BUT just incase they are prewired, u will have a loose plug behind the old radio, make sure to plug it into the back of the 8.4 radio, this will save you alot of work when u go to install the backup cam.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Good call Ron!!! I am looking at the place he mentioned getting the receiver and I can get one for 150.00 atm just down the street from me... I may just pull the trigger and grab it and run to the dealership and have them flash it etc...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for info on the back-up camera pre-wire. I don't think mine has it as it since it has the 4.3" screen. It doesn't even have the SAT antenna, so I'm going to have to come up with that too.
Tngstnrnt: let me know if you have any luck w/ the code issue I'm having.
Thanks,

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
What you need is what they call the "Sales code", I just spent the morning calling around and here's what I was told.
You will need the car Vin #'s for your car and the car that the radio came out of. Then your dealer uploads that info to chrysler, which marrys the new radio to you "sales code" (your car). Then they upload a new code to you car.
I also just bought a 8.4N from a Schram Auto Parts in Michigan, they tell me $165 includes shipping the radio and touch screen and he just emailed me the VIN #..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Naw, you shouldn't have to send it in. Just call them and if you explain the situation they should give you the code to unlock it... That said a fair amount of guys have run into the code issue while working on their system, lockpick installs come to mind. As I recall, in more than one case the code request cleared itself after having power restored for a while. Your situation is a bit different, so it may or may not clear itself.

Jeff
my radio just went off then on and off again so i got one identical from a junk yard.Now its asking me for the anti theft code all i know its four numbers and i cannot find it on the radio can.anyone help me plz thanks

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I swapped in a NAV radio from Veldmans Auto Parts (salvage) South Bend Indiana for $200.00. The VIN for the donor car is listed on all their parts.
For the PIN I called my local dealership parts counter, after a short hold I spoke to someone else that took the Radio S/N and VIN. I asked if he wanted the donor or the receiver and he said doner.
Bam-o no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts