Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i found out recently from Drive SRT that my car is 1 of 2 SRT's ever made in the copperhead color. The person i spoke to said he could not get any further information but suffice to say my vehicle is indeed very rare. I've already put 4k miles on it and i am pretty stuck on what to do.

In limited research i've found that dodge has done limited production of the different shades of orange over the years: hemi orange, header orange, toxic orange,and now copperhead pearl coat.

Since I'm not a car collector or appraiser or collector, i didn't really know what to do. I went a bought a used Ram for a couple grand to be my daily driver and now my SRT is just sitting there looking pretty and not accruing miles.

So if any of you out there have any experience with this type of thing, or can offer me some advice, please do. Do i sell the car? Do i start taking it to shows and marketing its rarity and put it up for sale? Do i hold it for 30 years? Do i just say screw and drop a supercharger in it and go crazy? How much could it be worth if its really one of two. Any input helps, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It's worth will be told in the future, not now. You are doing the right thing to garage it. I don't drive mine I barely put 1,000 miles on it in the year I owned it so far but that's my decision, no special reason, just want to keep it nice after I restored it. Yours being a possible 1 of 2 is worth investigating. I wouldn't totally trust what SRT told you, you can have someone research it for you or do it yourself if you have the time. The VIN number will tell you everything.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's worth will be told in the future, not now. You are doing the right thing to garage it. I don't drive mine I barely put 1,000 miles on it in the year I owned it so far but that's my decision, no special reason, just want to keep it nice after I restored it. Yours being a possible 1 of 2 is worth investigating. I wouldn't totally trust what SRT told you, you can have someone research it for you or do it yourself if you have the time. The VIN number will tell you everything.
Sadly I had the feeling that I can't really trust srt about what they told me. They would not give me any specific information. Where should I look to find out?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Dumb Question Do You enjoy driving it, That what I bought mine for. I may leave it in the garage on really bad days but I'll be damn if I not going to take it out and drive it. feels to good getting down on the gas. Man why did you buy it, if it is worth more or not you may want to be a little selfish and get thet SRT Smile!!!!!! Don't mean ant harm but just a thought.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's a car. Drive it. If it will ever be worth more than any other Charger, it will be many years down the road.

I never understood people who buy a car, park it, and drool over it while it sits in the garage. I've been the purchaser of several of those low mileage, 2-3 year old cars over the years. I promptly started driving the wheels off them.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yes, drive it and enjoy it. Although the car will be worth a lot if it really is 1 of 2, you have to go show off that beauty! Actually, your car is my dream car, that copperhead pearl color is just beautiful! I love my 1st gen, but the second gens have grown on me and that color, is just perfect....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Cars are generally a terrible investment. You could spend years waiting for the value to appreciate and never get your money out of it.

I hate to use it as an example, but there's a show called Pawn Stars on History Channel. They get these people in their shop with crazy rare items that nobody has ever heard of only to find out that it's worthless. It has to be rare AND sellable AND desirable. So you may have the first two covered, but not everyone wants to buy a Copperhead Pearl Charger (I'd probably fit in that category). So you may find that one dude in love with the color with bags of money laying around, but you might end up trading it to a dealership that couldn't care less what color the car is.

Of course I could be totally wrong, but I think you should do what makes you happy. If that means driving your SRT then DRIVE!

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
I'm like many others, drive the hell out of it and enjoy that baby!! The link below may help, this is how I found out all the information on my M11 and how of the 1348 that only 14 came without a spoiler.

[url]http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/...ailForm('R[/URL]')

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
My DWB 09 SRT8 300 is a 1 of 6 car for the year of 09 and I debated this same question myself. But just as everyone else has mentioned so far, drive the crap out of it and enjoy it!

I bought mine used a few months ago with about 26K miles and I am already close to the 32K miles lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dumb Question Do You enjoy driving it, That what I bought mine for. I may leave it in the garage on really bad days but I'll be damn if I not going to take it out and drive it. feels to good getting down on the gas. Man why did you buy it, if it is worth more or not you may want to be a little selfish and get thet SRT Smile!!!!!! Don't mean ant harm but just a thought.
Yes and I totally agree, I want to drive the car! I just really didn't know what to do. I bought the charger to be a daily driver and to engine laying into the big hemi. I still drive it, just sparingly, like weekends and special occasions. I think it makes it even more special.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really appreciate all the input guys. Even since finding out about the rarity, I have driven the car on a mini road trip, so its not like I just leave it in the garage all the time.

Let me get your opinions on one more thing, should I keep everything stock? Because if it is going to appreciate in value eventually it would have to be with all its OEM parts, right?

·
Registered
176 Posts
If the only thing about it in particular that is rare is the exterior color, I don't know that I would bet on it appreciating that much, if at all. Now if the build sheet specifies things like it has an unusual rear-end gearing or other OEM performance differences vs. any other SRT8 of the same year, that would be a different story. As mentioned earlier in the thread, 'rare' does not necessarily equal 'valuable.'

As far as mods go, as long as you aren't doing anything that can't be removed and replaced with the OEM parts later, go for it. My car isn't rare by any means, but from past experience I know that OEM often looks better on a trade than mods. I have all of the OEM parts I've replaced in my attic, including the 100% in tact OEM cat-back system.

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
Cars do make terrible investments, very few ever increase in price dramatically and even so it costs money every year to insure and maintain them pretty much wiping out any possible gains. Enjoy it for what it is, let your beater accumulate all the going to work miles if you plan on keeping the SRT for 10 years or more and keep all your stock parts for if you ever decide to sell.

When I first bought mine I drove it every day but when I saw 6k miles on the odometer in less than a year I decided I didn't want to rack them up that fast so I went back to driving my truck back and forth to work and saving the car for weekends.

I knew I wanted to keep the car for a very long time with no plans to trade it in so this way I could enjoy it for decades without running it to the ground. Now 7 years later I still love it and drive it on the weekends with occasional out of state trips and the car has just under 30k on it, right on track to keep it around for a very long time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I first bought mine I drove it every day but when I saw 6k miles on the odometer in less than a year I decided I didn't want to rack them up that fast so I went back to driving my truck back and forth to work and saving the car for weekends.
I'm just under 6k. I've had the car for a whole 2 1/2 months... :eek:

·
504 Boy
12,059 Posts
Yeah I don't know why you wouldn't drive it. One of two with a flux capacitor might gain you some future value, but one of two with a certain color? As mentioned above, unless you find that one someone who has to have that color, and has to have it on an SRT8 2013 Charger, you likely aren't gonna find much value over any other color. Drive it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Don't worry so much about future worth, drive and enjoy it today!

I seem to remember SRT's Facebook page posting a pic of a 1 of 2 Copperhead SRT, was that yours?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts