Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I have a 13 charger with the rb2 radio and I want upgrade to an rb5 so I can have nav and Sirius travel link. Here's the question, is is a simple swap or am I opening a can of worms. I found a this website, http://oemautopartsco.com/products/rb5-8-4n-gps-navigation-radio, they make it seem very simple. Thoughts? Has anyone done this, or have you bought from this guys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nav and Traffic are easy if you get a 2013+ radio, just swap it out, but Travel Link is that can of worms that you were talking about.

It's possible, but you will have to contact Chrysler to add the Travel Link sales code (RSM). The dealerships cannot add that code locally for some reason, so you have to get headquarters involved. I spent quite a lot of time getting this resolved, and a couple of trips to the dealership service center.

It might be easier for other folks now that the legwork has been done. Just contact ChryslerCare and open a case, asking that they add RSM to your car. They'll contact your dealership and arrange everything, and I also had to pre-pay the dealership before Chrysler would add the code. After it's added, you have to take it to the dealership and have the car reprogrammed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok sounds good, I've been poking around the internet and found a rb5 from 2013 300. Does that matter, will it change the interface, does it need to be from a charger?

·
Registered
720 Posts
The interface will adapt to the car for a 13 model. You'll need to get an unlock code from a dealership before you can use it, though. It's probably easiest if you just bring the radio to the parts department at a dealership before you even install it, and they can look up the code right there at the counter.

The first time you turn it on it will be blue, but after it turns off an on once or twice it will look like any other Dodge system.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That RB5 from LKQ looks like a good candidate.

Not to bust the budget, but if you are going this far I recommend adding the backup camera at this juncture- when you are paying for Travel Link the dealer will probably add the RB5 and XAC (Parkview) sales codes for little to no money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the one I was looking, I've contacted them, just waiting on a reply. And yes I was going to do the backup cam as well. Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That's the one I was looking, I've contacted them, just waiting on a reply. And yes I was going to do the backup cam as well. Thanks for all the help everyone.
I recommend calling them tomorrow. Because the info wasn't fed into LKQ's online hub, you'll be dealing directly with salvage yard employees. My experience was you could get them on the phone and get it paid for and shipped before ever receiving a reply to an e-mail.

Another pro-tip if you are interested in confirming the build date or part numbers they will usually text a picture to your cell much quicker than offering to shoot it with a camera and e-mail.

·
Registered
491 Posts
thanks, called them and its on its way!
Man, I'm excited for you. It took me three tries to get the radio I wanted. You'll have it installed in about 15 minutes. It will probably take you longer to get to the dealer than install the radio.

Does you current RE2 display a wrench with the word "settings" on it on the far right of the display, or does it display a "more" button?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, I'm excited for you. It took me three tries to get the radio I wanted. You'll have it installed in about 15 minutes. It will probably take you longer to get to the dealer than install the radio.

Does you current RE2 display a wrench with the word "settings" on it on the far right of the display, or does it display a "more" button?
It has the wrench.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It has the wrench.
Your in the same boat I am. I went from an RE2 to RB5, and kept the wrench. You'll get the more button if you go through with programming the RSM sales code. I don't plan on keeping SiriusXM, so I never went through with it. It is very interesting, because there are some videos out there of cars that have a more button, but with nothing more in it that settings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your in the same boat I am. I went from an RE2 to RB5, and kept the wrench. You'll get the more button if you go through with programming the RSM sales code. I don't plan on keeping SiriusXM, so I never went through with it. It is very interesting, because there are some videos out there of cars that have a more button, but with nothing more in it that settings.
Huh, interesting. Good to know! Thanks, I will have to let yall know what happens, should be here Monday and depending on my work schedule I will hopefully have it in then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally did the swap. Everything works as far as nav goes.Going to get everything flashed tomorrow. I did notice that my heated and cooled seats buttons were grayed out and they dont function when I touch them. I hope this is just because I havent had the flash yet. Super easy install though, I recommend doing it if you dont have nav and want it.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Finally did the swap. Everything works as far as nav goes.Going to get everything flashed tomorrow. I did notice that my heated and cooled seats buttons were grayed out and they dont function when I touch them. I hope this is just because I havent had the flash yet. Super easy install though, I recommend doing it if you dont have nav and want it.
Keep us posted on the seats, I'm curious why they don't work. I'm assuming the 2013 units no longer need the security code?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keep us posted on the seats, I'm curious why they don't work. I'm assuming the 2013 units no longer need the security code?
No, I went in yesturday and got the code and scheduled a service as well as the flash. Still waiting on the ChryslerCare to get back to me on the sales code for Travel Link.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I find this interesting. Usually with a sales code issue the buttons aren't even there.

You may try pulling the battery/fuse for 10 minutes and seeing if that makes everything copacetic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts