Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 SXT 3.6L V6 with 57k miles and the 195mm differential. I wanna do a drain and fill of the fluid. Looking to confirm Mopar fluid part number. This is what I was able to dig up, 68232947AB. Can somebody on here confirm this is the Mopar part number for the needed gear oil and how much of it will I need. Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes that is correct 75W/85. I have been using Redline which has the friction modifier already in it for LSD (not needed for the 195 open diff). It calls for 1.1qts but i have changed mine 3 times along with my Jeep that has the same 195 diff and i have only been able to get max 1qt in, but you may want to buy an extra qt just in case.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that is correct 75W/85. I have been using Redline which has the friction modifier already in it for LSD (not needed for the 195 open diff). It calls for 1.1qts but i have changed mine 3 times along with my Jeep that has the same 195 diff and i have only been able to get max 1qt in, but you may want to buy an extra qt just in case.
Thanks for the reply and info. I thought of going with the Redline fluid but figured I’d just go with the Mopar stuff. Not much price difference.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the manual say to do it? I thought only Severe Duty like taxis or police.
I think manual says to inspect fluid level. Can’t remember the interval. But I like to change my fluids every so often. Can’t hurt but help I think. Especially since it’s something I can do and not expensive. It’s like the tranny fluid. Dodge says it doesn’t need to be changed because it’s a lifetime fluid. I call bullshit. No such thing. I’m past the warranty so in my case I won’t be voiding them warranty or anything.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Manual says 50k- i do it every 25k because its cheap and easy to do.
I’ve been wanting to do it sooner but have kept putting it off. Planning to do the same on my wife’s SUV. Will make it a point to replace at 30k mile intervals going forward.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Make sure you can loosen the fill plug before you pull the drain plug.

Reactions: dodgeguy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make sure you can loosen the fill plug before you pull the drain plug.
Good tip and yeah, I’m surprised how many people remove the drain plug first to then find the fill plug is seized and then are super screwed. Even crazier though how some service manual (can’t remember if it’s Dodge or Hyundai my wife’s SUV) say to first do the drain plug and then fill plug.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A transfer pump will make things easier.
Yup, got one. Pretty much ready to go with everything I need. Thought I would need new washers for both drain and fill plugs but dealership service dept said they don’t even stock it which I thought was weird. I’m used to replacing washers after removing at least the drain plugs. But I guess in this case it’s not needed. Unless they gave me wrong info. Thoughts???

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,880 Posts
Yup, got one. Pretty much ready to go with everything I need. Thought I would need new washers for both drain and fill plugs but dealership service dept said they don’t even stock it which I thought was weird. I’m used to replacing washers after removing at least the drain plugs. But I guess in this case it’s not needed. Unless they gave me wrong info. Thoughts???
I don't recall any washers when I did it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Copy that, they are tapered threads.

I found a magnetic plug HERE, And the socket for it HERE.

I changed my 215 internals to a Wavetrac posi and wanted a magnet.
No tape needed.

Automotive tire Nickel Cylinder Auto part Gas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts