Rear Differential Fluid Options? Limited Slip Additive

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger Chassis - Suspension' started by Daytona314, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Daytona314

Daytona314 New Member Military

Vehicle:
    Daytona R&T
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    Daytona
    Color?:
    Marine Blue
    So I am looking to do the drain and fill myself but I have a question I can't seem to figure out. I spoke with the dealership today and made sure I had the correct weight for the fluid. I have a 2013 Charger Daytona 5.7 RT R&T @ 55,000 miles and it has the 215mm Rear Axle which called for MOPAR Synthetic Gear Lubricant SAE 75W-140. After speaking with the dealership more and they checked my VIN I was informed that it is NOT a limited slip differential. So they want to charge a lot for the drain and fill and I decided I would do it on my own but each bottle I look for that is 75W-140 all say they have a limited slip additive in it. I am curious if that will cause issues if my does not have that. I searched on here trying to see if this was discussed and I can not find anything.

Here is what is called for my car:
    Mopar
    https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrysler-4874469-Synthetic-Lubricant/dp/B000TWI4DO

Here are other options I was looking at but all include the additive:

Royal Purple
    https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple...e=UTF8&qid=1510419411&sr=1-3&keywords=75W-140

Mobile 1
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IF3KFK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

Lucas Oil
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BCKWVE/ref=psdc_15719351_t4_B000IG7PMM

If it is not worth going to a different brand then I will just buy the Mopar kind. I was just curious if I have options or not. Thank you for anyone who can shed some light on this.

2. djalbin

djalbin Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R&T STP
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    The 215 MM RII is an open differential. The G648 (226mm RII) is the limited-slip differential. The Royal Purple and Mobil-1 prices are so close to the Mopar price that there isn't any price advantage. The Lucas Oil price is lower priced.
    The Lucas just says it's "excellent for use in limited slip differentials", but does not have the "LS" designation or say "no additional additives are necessary." ... like the Mobil and Royal Purple.
    The differential only holds 1.3 quarts so the price difference between Lucas Oil ($36.46) and Mopar ($46.58) is only $10.12

Daytona314 likes this.
  3. Daytona314

Vehicle:
    Daytona R&T
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    Daytona
    Color?:
    Marine Blue
    Thank you. I think I will stick with the OEM stuff. I was just curious because I know Royal Purple was always highly respected and supposedly better fluids. So it was not necessarily about the price but the quality. I don't do anything crazy in the car as it is just daily driver but I figured I would try to learn more about how the limited slip additive would impact an open rear diff.

I recently just did the spark plugs and same thing happened where everyone at the stores were telling me to upgrade from copper but I decided to stick with OEM.

I really appreciate your reply.

4. djalbin

djalbin Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R&T STP
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Best to stay with the OEM copper spark plugs for the Hemi. The PCM is programmed for the timing of the copper plugs. You don't get the long life out of them like the platinum, iridium, etc ... but they perform well. Some of the police cars with the Hemi had platinum spark plugs but the PCM had a different tune to match the timing of the plugs. The 2015+ models may have the longer life plugs (non-copper) but then again the PCM is programmed differently than the copper plug Hemi.
    Some copper plug Hemi owners have switched to platinum/iridium but the results are mixed. Some reported the engine ran OK and others switched back to copper because the engine ran like crap with the non-copper plugs.

Daytona314 likes this.
  5. YesThisThingHasAHemi

YesThisThingHasAHemi Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2015
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Billet Metallic
    I just went through this same ordeal with mine. I have the regular R/T. It takes 75W85. I couldn't find it stocked anywhere in that viscosity. So I just stuck with OEM. Picked up a quart from the dealer for about $25. Since mine holds 1.1, I had to top it off with some extra 75W90 Lucas that I had from a previous project.

Daytona314 likes this.
  6. Daytona314

Vehicle:
    Daytona R&T
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    Daytona
    Color?:
    Marine Blue
    Yeah, I think at this point I am just going to stick with OEM on anything I purchase. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with the car so just want to keep it running like the day I got it. I am mainly getting satisfaction out of doing things on my own that I have not done before. Plus saving a few bucks is an added bonus.

Yeah mine will hold 1.3 so I just got two bottles. That way when I do it again down the road I will already have the spare bottle to do two more.