Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post on the forum. I have a 2012 RWD Charger with V6 and 8 speed. I have access to the 3.06 geared rear end from a salvaged AWD charger(same year). What I cannot seem to determine is if it will bolt in place of the existing differential or if I will encounter additional modification issues. Mopar customer service has not returned several emails. Before I drop the money on the differential I would like to know what I am getting myself into. Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey, just wondering if you pulled the trigger on this? I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have a 2014 SXT, and pretty sure it's a 2.65 rear gear, but haven't had a chance to peek under there and see. Plus I'm also not sure if I have an LSD or not?? My guess would be not as I'm sure Dodge reserved those for the SRT models and not the SXT's. Do u know if similar year SRT rear ends will fit? You can find years 11-14 on eBay all day, and not too pricey either but not all are LSD's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, first post on the forum. I have a 2012 RWD Charger with V6 and 8 speed. I have access to the 3.06 geared rear end from a salvaged AWD charger(same year). What I cannot seem to determine is if it will bolt in place of the existing differential or if I will encounter additional modification issues. Mopar customer service has not returned several emails. Before I drop the money on the differential I would like to know what I am getting myself into. Any ideas or thoughts?
i dont know wether it will bolt up or not but i know the awd 3.06 isnt a lsd and i think its a different carrier all together along with different axels and a different subframe vs rwd

Hey, just wondering if you pulled the trigger on this? I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have a 2014 SXT, and pretty sure it's a 2.65 rear gear, but haven't had a chance to peek under there and see. Plus I'm also not sure if I have an LSD or not?? My guess would be not as I'm sure Dodge reserved those for the SRT models and not the SXT's. Do u know if similar year SRT rear ends will fit? You can find years 11-14 on eBay all day, and not too pricey either but not all are LSD's.
for your question your correct its only a 2.65 non lsd on the sxt's and for the second part yes you can bolt up a srt diff i swapped mine for a 3.92 srt getrags diff and it bolts right in place just need i new longer bolt and the beefier axels to go with it but other then that it works perfect

Reactions: chingon863

·
Registered
19 Posts
lloydio- that sounds great! The beefier axles I get if I actually had the power to match it, but owning an SXT power is, well limited. So I'm wondering if i can reuse my existing axles? Ive been looking at some diffs from same year challys also, do you know if they will bolt right up and do those diffs share the same number of bolts where the axles mate to housing? I'm sure there is a word for that part where the axles flanges bolt up, but Im not sure what its called? If i get this going, I'd like to do a install thread if one doesn't exist, specifically for the 2.65 to 3.06 swap in an SXT with part#, torque specs, the whole nine. since you've done it, could i source this info from you?

·
Registered
27 Posts
so to answer the first question no you cant reuse them cause its not just the fact there beffier one of them is short to compensate for the diff being slightly bigger then the stock diff to the right of it as shown in the picture
14702353_10207975350970131_5486969318974860545_n.jpg

and the axles dont bolt up to the diff they just slide into the differental and have a locking ring on them, and the axle to the hub has the axle nut and depending on your charger you may need new hubs if its older then 2011 i believe but after your stock hubs will work i can give you a pretty good rundown of how its done just not torque specs as i kinda just did the really tight and add blue locktight to literally everything holding the diff and driveshaft in

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ahhh yes, OK, i see now. The clips on the diff side of axle are not like traditional c-clips like back in the day where you had to install with the diff cover off, correct? Looks like there should be no reason to open the carrier to install the clips. They are more like normal shaft rings where they just compress into a relief cut in the shaft and expand when they slide all the way thru, right? Hell, I should be able to do this wearing white gloves!! So I'm seeing more used 3.06 carriers from RWD challengers then chargers. Anyone know if Chrysler tried to keep costs down and made them the exact some for both platforms vs. specific to each?

·
Registered
27 Posts
exactly they are a pain to get out which is why i just pull the entire assembly as a whole by disassembling one side of the suspension and slide the whole diff and axles as a whole to one side out of the opposite hub, and to the other question they are the exact same between the charger and challenger but i will say make sure on the 3.06 cause some like the r/t came with a 3.06 but it was open not a lsd so just keep an eye if your buying used of ebay

·
Registered
19 Posts
thanks. So if diffs are the same btwn the cars, it might be safe in assuming i can reuse my existing axles and hubs if i score a diff from a NON AWD chally or charger, no? you mentioned longer bolts earlier... Was that a Mopar part? did you replace that bushing as well? was it a longer bolt only because your diff was from a SRT LSD I'm wondering? referring to your pic, looks like you might have changed the gearoil to royal purple? Did you do it just because it was out easy drain/fill or.... that RP is some good sh*t!

·
Registered
19 Posts
back to the diff, if i score a 3.06 LSD from a SRT ill need diff, shafts, and new hubs, correct?
If i score an open 3.06 diff i might be able to reuse my shafts and hubs, correct?
Do RT's have open diffs or LSD's?

·
Registered
27 Posts
R/T's normally have a open diff 3.06 and yes what you need for a LSD version is the new beefier and shorter axles and if you have a non 2011+ you need new hubs as well to match the spline count and correct if you get a open version it should take the same Axel's you have now but honestly if your gonna go up in gear ratio might as well make it a LSD as well and for the royal purple iv seen people complain about the getrag making noises after awhile and apperently royal purple because it has its own friction modifier solved alot of their problems I figured might as well use it from the start if you get a open diff it takes 75w-140 but the LSD takes 75w-90 and lastly for the longer bolt if you get a LSD version the front most bolt is longer to compensate the extra weight you can either get the new bolt from Mopar or just do what I did and go to your local bolt shop and get the same thread just around 6" and it will work just aswell and no I didn't replace the bushings but it is the best time to do it

·
Registered
19 Posts
yea, agreed and I was gonna try and shoot for an LSD. And just so I'm clear about the hubs, you say 2011 and up I will need new hubs also?? Sorry.
Did you need a puller to release the hub from the splines after you loosen the axle nut? My SXT only has 15k miles on it, so I'd image maybe a good dead blow mallet should be enough convincing to release it. Off the top of your head do you remember the size socket for the nut on the hub side of axle? Any out of the norm sockets needed, or was it all pretty standard stuff?
Does the drive shaft bolt to the triangle piece via those 3 bolts? Is that long pin in the middle there just a locating pin or is it just a long threaded bolt part of the pinion gear that's bolted to that triangle piece?
Lastly, a quick programming via Diablo i2010 to program new rear ratio should seal the deal, correct? with your 3.92 how is hwy cruising rpms? Is First gear useless?

·
Registered
27 Posts
For the first question if you have a 2011 or newer you wont need new hub s but if you have a 2010 or older you need new hubs and yes a good dead blow hammer will do I have 50k km on my charger and it came out fine and the socket for the axle nut I'll have to go home and check but other then that you will need decent size Hex socket for the driveshaft as it's bolts to a coupler which then bolts to the driveshaft and the center long pin is just a locator pin like the picture
CIMG6023.jpg

and if you have a 5 speed then it uses calculations to determine the speed between the gear ratio and tire size and transmission ratios but if you have a 8 speed it calculates your speed based of the speed sensors in the abs system and the tire diameter to show the speed so you dont actually need to get it tuned, for me with the 8 speed it rides at around 2000 rpm at 100km/62mph and 2500 at 130km/80mph , and first gear goes by alot faster but its not useless it still goes up to 50km and thats also with a 3.92 so with a 3.06 it wont be anywhere as aggressive

·
Registered
19 Posts
thanks. I have the 8sp so the 3.06 shouldn't be to bad. i know there's probably a calculator out there to tell me my RPMs at any given speed, but i have no idea what the ratios are in the 8spd and I'm sure you need those to plug in. So after having done the swap would you say its more fun to drive around town now despite the higher hwy RPMs? Was it worth it? I still need to get some kinda tune going as that's still stock but that should change very soon(thanks Santa!). I feel these SXTs need a good kick in the lower ass to wake it up, and I'm hoping the gear swap might be it. thanks for all the info!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The main final ratio is in the 845re is 0.67 and stock tire diameter is around 28.6 so use those for crusing calculations you do and yes is it more fun it's honestly 10 times better it was the best mod iv done to my car so much better then my intake exhaust tune combined it wakes it up off a launch totally worth the money

·
Registered
5 Posts
i dont know wether it will bolt up or not but i know the awd 3.06 isnt a lsd and i think its a different carrier all together along with different axels and a different subframe vs rwd

for your question your correct its only a 2.65 non lsd on the sxt's and for the second part yes you can bolt up a srt diff i swapped mine for a 3.92 srt getrags diff and it bolts right in place just need i new longer bolt and the beefier axels to go with it but other then that it works perfect
What srt model did you get the 3.92 out of? Charg or chally? I work for a dodge dealer and ready to pull the trigger on this swap but need the correct info on the donor car. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Are there ANY other Dodge models with a 3.06 that would a be a strait swap with a Charger SE/SXT?

·
Registered
27 Posts
im pretty sure i got mine from a challenger and for the 3.06 i think it comes in a r/t road and track or 100th anniversary edition but not the base r/t

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I think I remember seeing that some of the Challenger SXT's and Blacktops had the 3.06. These are the ones I think we'd have the bets chance with.

im pretty sure i got mine from a challenger and for the 3.06 i think it comes in a r/t road and track or 100th anniversary edition but not the base r/t
You got your 3.92 from a Challenger?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think I remember seeing that some of the Challenger SXT's and Blacktops had the 3.06. These are the ones I think we'd have the bets chance with.

You got your 3.92 from a Challenger?
only thing to keep track of is you can get a 3.06 thats not a lsd and is still open which is most likely what the blacktops have, and for the diff mine was a used diff that was tested fitted on a Challenger but taken off almost immediately but my axles are just used srt axles

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yeah currently having LSD isn't a top priority, I'm just looking for the easiest way to swap in a more aggressive gear for better acceleration. Definitely looking to keep my stock axels, hubs, etc

Your setup sounds pretty intense! How you you like the aggressive gearing with the 8 speed?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts