Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching for several days on multiple forums looking for a good bang for my buck mod for my car and pretty much everywhere I read said a diff swap was a good one. I have an 06 Daytona with 2.82 gears. I am trying to swap to 3.90s which everywhere I checked said they would work and all that was required to swap was the pumpkin and axles. Supposed to be a direct fit and bolt up. So far I have had to by a ne mounting bushing because the housing is different and after that i got it bolted up but the diff yoke does not match up with the drive shaft and coupler. Is there an adapter i need or do i have to change the yokes? Or does the 3.90 diff not work like I read it does? Any help would be appreciated. I tried searching for rear gear swaps but came up with nothing that helped.

·
Registered
273 Posts
AS far as I know the 3.90 is a ZF differential for 2015 and up cars. not sure for an 06 but I think those are Getrag differentials .what is the part # on the ID tag ?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Nothing gear change wise for an '06 is direct fit lol. The Getrag is the usual upgrade, but it requires axles and hubs, as well as the specific coupler and shimming it off the car floor so you don't get vibration transmitted from it. ZF diff won't fit unless you swap the entire cradle from a '15 or newer. Here is a Getrag in my '06:

IMAG2082.jpg
IMAG2083.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I have the 3.90 bolted in and the yokes between the 3.90 and my 2.82 swapped so it will now bolt up to my ds. Just waiting for the new pinion seal to get here so I can finish it up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I did swap axles but did not have to swap hubs. It is not a ZF diff. Zf from what I have read is 09+ and this one out of an 06.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts