Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not an owner yet, but just getting ducks in row. I plan on getting a SP in the next couple of months and have been reading that the rear tires are a little too small and spin alot. I have read that going to 305's is a good size, question is this. Most of the ones I am looking at are dynamics package with the 9.5" rim, are any of you putting a tire that size on the 9.5, or getting new rims as well. Kind of like the dynamics rim, and 305 seems to want a 10" rim....

TIA

willie

·
Registered
321 Posts
A little bit of research will probably show that the 305s will fit, though it is a stretch to make it happen.

As far as the 295s being too thin/ small, I think that it all depends on how you drive. I have had my Daytona for almost 21K miles, and I have not had any issues.

I did replace my stock wheels, but I did so with the same size. I did it for looks, rather than performance.

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little bit of research will probably show that the 305s will fit, though it is a stretch to make it happen.

As far as the 295s being too thin/ small, I think that it all depends on how you drive. I have had my Daytona for almost 21K miles, and I have not had any issues.

I did replace my stock wheels, but I did so with the same size. I did it for looks, rather than performance.

good luck

Exco
so did yours come with 295's, 2019 SP's come with 275's with the dynamics package...

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
275's are a vast improvement over the 245's. You don't have to go nuts if you don't need to. If you want to go wider than 275's, you'll need 10" wide wheels to do so safely. And not all tires are created equal. Better tires mean better traction. It's not just the size of the tire patch that gets you traction.

Reactions: RustyColt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
275's are a vast improvement over the 245's. You don't have to go nuts if you don't need to. If you want to go wider than 275's, you'll need 10" wide wheels to do so safely. And not all tires are created equal. Better tires mean better traction. It's not just the size of the tire patch that gets you traction.
I would be getting michelin or continental for new tires...

thanks all. will definitely get the dynamics package for the wider tire/wheel combo....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Daytona with Mickey thompson street Comp 275 on the front and rear. The car handles great with these. But the rear still will break loose. I’m going to a 305 in the rear with a 10” wheel.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just for reference, from factory:
R/T has 20x8.0 wheels and 245/45R20 tires
SP has 20x9.0 wheels and 245/45R20 tires
*** has 20x9.5 wheels and 275/40R20 tires

***= hellcat, 392 Daytona, SRT, or Dynamics Package.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I find it interesting that the R/T and Scat Pack have the same tires despite the SP having an inch wider wheel.

I just put the 275/40 Indy 500s on my Scat Pack and the tire width is no wider than the factory 245s they replaced. The tread contact patch IS wider, but overall tire width is not. I was expecting the sidewall to budge out a bit but it doesn't. I would bet you could put a 305 tire on the 9.0 wide SP wheel as it would be ~15mm wider on each side than the 275s I just put on.

I would say a 305 would be a slam dunk on the wider 9.5 inch factory wheel

·
Registered
980 Posts
The Dynamics package gives you the 9.5inch wide wheel with the 275 tires
And you get the 6 piston front brakes. But they are really dusty and a lot of folks change out the pads quick because of it. The other thing is that a single front rotor will run over $700 at the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just get Atturo AZ850 275's you will thank me later
I’m sure these are great tires. Although for the 392 these will still break loose easily. I run the Mickey Thompson street comps and still have a hard time not breaking tires loose. This is just my opinion not intended to make anyone mad. Just I’ve tried a lot of tires on these cars and it’s hard to find the right one. Just go with what you like and trust.... A 305 in the rear is what I’ve found to work best.

·
Registered
983 Posts
So how well does the traction control work? Think a Michelin PSS 4s still break loose in 275? I'm only at 145 miles, so can't test it yet on the Goodyear RS-A2's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Once it is time I will put BFG G-Force Comp 2 on. Ran then on my A4 super grippy tire! Look good too. Wet traction is second to none IMO. Great side bite and quiet.
55D8EDA5-56D1-49A1-9A2F-C5DFD08B5A38.jpeg
4639CE15-1814-4768-9111-7AE469DA8B97.jpeg
C2D11D1C-822D-4934-B0A5-FAF7045E0DBF.jpeg

·
Registered
983 Posts
No A/S will stick any good. You'll have to go to a dedicated summer tire, like the Michelin 4S or similar. I just passed 300 miles, so they want you to hammer it for break-in. The Goodyear RS-A2, which is a pretty decent tire, wouldn't hold traction a bit. I have some 4S in 275, which I will put on next Spring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In the closest to factory diameter would you say the 305/35-20 is it?

It looses 1% in overall.

Not really wanting to mess with the computer for a simple tire swap.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts