Dodge Charger Forum banner

Recommendations needed 2014 AWD R/T

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Nuwanda 
#1 ·
Good afternoon,

I just joined the forum. I am interested in purchasing a 2014 Charger R/T AWD w/58k miles, asking $18,900. I have read about problems with these vehicles, but I'm wondering if, coming up on 7 years old, the issues would have been worked out by now.

Also, this would need to be a daily driver and I don't have flexibility with work. Would you recommend this year/model as a daily? I can afford a new or late model Charger GT AWD. I just like the old body style and obviously, the V-8. But if you recommend a newer model, please advise, and let me know why.

Thanks in advance!

TStol

#3 ·
They all seem to be priced around there for that mileage. I'm assuming there's some flexibility. The used car market has gone through the roof this past year. I'm sure the Charger is no exception. I have to consider the fact that I can get a brand new leftover 2020 for only $12k more than a this car.

#4 ·
The 2014 R/T AWD is the last year FCA made the V8 AWD in civilian trim. If you can live with a V6, by all means go for a more recent GT. I chose the R/T and don't regret it a bit, even though it doesn't snow much where I live.

Found it on Autotrader, drove to the next state, and left them with my 2009 R/T AWD. Worked out well.

Reactions: Nuwanda
#6 ·
I'm not aware of any in particular. In my experience it's a solid car.

If you go with the R/T AWD, it will have a 5 speed transmission. Mine works fine, but some people prefer the 8 speed, which I think comes in the newer V6 AWD.

Reactions: TStol
#7 ·
I love my 2013 RT Plus AWD as a daily driver. I test drove a new AWD V6 first, then my RT. Chose the V8 over the warranty, and no have no regrets after 4 years. It's a great daily driver choice, especially in Western PA with its wide variety of weather. That price sounded high to me, but kbb says it's pretty much a mid-range price. If you buy used, I would get the VIN# first and plug it into the FCA website here ---> Lookup FCA Vehicle Recalls by VIN | Official Mopar® Site <---- to see if there are recalls that still need done. And try to get maintenance records. These cars tend to hold up well if they are taken care of. Good luck!

Reactions: MtnRT
#8 ·
Thanks for the thoughtful reply! I'll throw the VIN into that site to check out the recalls. I take care of my cars, but of course if I buy a vehicle with 60k miles I don't know how it was treated before. Is there an "average" amount of time these cars last? Not the extremes, but you know, do they last on average 120k miles? 150k...200k? Also, I have read about the transmission only being a 5 speed and it was mentioned in this thread as well. I will have a 2 hour daily commute (total...1 hr each way). What is it about the 5 spd some people don't care for and is it an issue for you? Lastly, I'm in the same boat as you were: looking at newer V-6 AWDs as well (GT model). Besides the wonderful V-8, is there any other reason you chose your RT over the AWD V6? Any info would help me in this decision. Thanks!

#10 ·
I don't have any statistics for the average lifespan, but it's not unheard of to get 150K, 200K+ miles out of these cars if they are cared for properly. The wild card is the 58k miles yours was driven by someone else, which is why I'd ask for service records to at least see that the routine maintenance was done in a timely fashion. I have no issues with the 5 spd (NAG1) tranny. As far as other reasons I chose the RT, I didn't really consider buying the V6 after I drove it. I drove the RT right after (same dealership, same day), but even before I test drove the RT, I knew I wouldn't buy the V6. It just wasn't for me, but a lot of people enjoy the V6. If you can, I'd suggest driving both. Everybody's car preferences are different, and there is no substitute for firsthand experience. Enjoy!

P.S.- As far as why I chose this particular AWD RT, I liked the Plus pkg, the black honeycomb grill (I prefer it over the grilles with the chrome cross on them from those years), paddle shifters, spoiler, 19" Premium wheels. Lots of options I liked. :)

Reactions: MtnRT and RamAirV1
#9 ·
While you’re at it, if you haven’t already, check out the Equipment Listing at FCA. Just plug in your VIN. It says RAM, but it works on Dodge and Chrysler as well.

Reactions: TStol and Nuwanda
#12 ·
Just curious- what did you decide to do?

#13 ·
I decided to wait. Since I'm not in need of a car at the moment, I figured I'd continue looking until the right car/right deal presented itself. My only concern about buying a used AWD is rust. A person who has an AWD likely bought it to use in the snow...exactly why I need an AWD. However, if they didn't take care of it properly, I'll be dealing with rust problems a few years down the road. For $10-15k more I can buy a new Charger and not have to worry about that. I go back and forth, but I'm still looking is what it comes down to.

#14 ·
An awd shouldn't be any worse for rust then any normal charger that also saw winter use. I'm in an area that would make full use of awd yet most of the chargers and 300s running around are rwd ones. Look it over well before you buy and you'll be ok.
I wouldn't have bought that one either at that price.

#15 ·
I have a 2014 R/T AWD that I bought CPO in 2016 w/ ~18K miles on it. It now has 103K miles.

It's been almost completely trouble-free. Shortly after I bought it, one of the valves in the cylinder head started sticking for some reason. The cylinder head was replaced under warranty. Other than that, I haven't had a single problem with it.

I too have a 2 hour daily commute. I bought my Charger after having a V6 model as a rental car on a trip to Texas. It was very comfortable to drive on the highway, and handled all but the worst road imperfections with ease. I was so impressed I started looking for an R/T AWD immediately after returning home from that trip. I live in the Northeast, and the car has never had any issues in the winter. I've easily made it to and back from work even in bad snowstorms.

The only real issues the AWDs have is when you start adding significantly more power. The NAG1 5-spd auto isn't super tough, conventional wisdom says not to push a stock NAG1 beyond 550-600 lb./ft of torque. The early AWDs had problems with weak transfer cases, but the later AWD transfer cases are stronger. Not sure if anyone has determined the limit on them yet.

#17 ·
The only real issues the AWDs have is when you start adding significantly more power. The NAG1 5-spd auto isn't super tough, conventional wisdom says not to push a stock NAG1 beyond 550-600 lb./ft of torque. The early AWDs had problems with weak transfer cases, but the later AWD transfer cases are stronger. Not sure if anyone has determined the limit on them yet.
Dave Dasllamas has a '14 AWD RT putting out 625 awhp with the stock transfer case, unless he's upped it since I last visited his YouTube channel. Not saying I'd recommend it, just saying it's been done and seems to be holding up? Happy modding! Lol

Reactions: MtnRT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.