Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently having an issue with my 09' charger electronics. I am hoping someone might have some insights or suggestions, as I can't seem to find any info on forums, websites, or by "dial-a-shop". About 2 weeks ago, my car became a brick with a red blinking light. Previous to this, all of the dash warning lights came on while driving, so I pulled over imediately and shut the car off. Stuck an OBD II on it and read a P0481 (fan 2 control circuit) and U0141 (lost communication with body control modual A) code. About 200 miles prior, I had the radiator and (1) radiator fan replaced due to fatigue failure...

I had something similar happen 5 years prior, and it was related to the battery. Checked voltage, was ok, but took it out anyway and had it tested, very low cranking amps, so i replaced it. I clearded the codes, checked alternator voltage, and started driving back home with my scanner still plugged in to monitor the system. About 1 min from my house, the dash warning lights light up again like a christmas tree and then my scanner read "lost communication with PCM" or something to that extent. The car was still running though, so I drove the remaining 1/4 mile and parked it in my garage. Now, it is a brick with a red blinking light. I can't for the life of me figure out how to reset or bypass what I am guessing is a security lockout? I can no longer connect to the computer to check codes see anything worth while. The interior lights come on, and the dash readout will still note "door adjar, or trunk open", but that is it. Key in, dead stick... i have pulled every fuse, pulled every relay one by one, checked new radiator fan wiring, un-cabled the battery for several days, but same condition persists no matter my efforts.

Has anyone ever seen this before, or have any suggestions other than "take it to the dealer"... ?

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
The only time I have had the security system lockout has been with a bad battery. I didn't know what the problem was at the time but had the car taken to the dealer and they diagnosed it as a bad battery (shorted cell). Car was running fine the day before. I parked it for the night and the next morning it was a brick (locked out).

Reactions: dodgeguy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*Update, I took the car to a shop that replaced the ignition module. Still no luck (they swapped it with 2 different modules to double check), no power to the system at all. Can't reprogram keys, can't communicate to PCM still.. anyone have any ideas? Any Dodge Techs that could provide any insight?

·
Registered
4 Posts
*Update, I took the car to a shop that replaced the ignition module. Still no luck (they swapped it with 2 different modules to double check), no power to the system at all. Can't reprogram keys, can't communicate to PCM still.. anyone have any ideas? Any Dodge Techs that could provide any insight?
Did you ever figure this out ? I’m having a similar issue

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds like one of two things: bad Body Control Module or a bad wire somewhere.
Could be bad PCM too.
Check voltage at the OBD II connector. You should have 12v to one of the pins. One is a ground also. Get a wiring diagram to verify locations. If you don't have voltage there, most likely it's the PCM. Pins #6 & #14 are for the CANBUS system which allows you scanner to connect. Checking voltage at each pin, you should get roughly 2.5v. You don't want it exactly 2.5v or the two are shorted somewhere. One should read 2.35v and the other 2.65v. Added together they will equal 5v.
There is a certain Ohm reading for each also between the two. I don't remember what it is or how to check it of the top of my head.
If you can't connect with the scanner, I'd say the PCM died. Common on Chryslers from what I hear. See if you can find a used one. Have the dealer or seller program the VIN into it and try that.
The red light is for security. Key fobs and key chips do die. But, you can still communicate with the PCM. Check all wiring to make sure a mouse squirrel didn't decide to make lunch pit of your wiring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts