Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SRT very seldom gets driven in the rain, but when it does it's a nightmare. The raindrops hit the windshield and seem to explode, going out in every direction. In a heavy rain this can be mesmerizing(SP?).

I've got high dollar Silblade silicone wipers, but whatever the previous owner put on this windshield is driving me crazy.

I've tried lighter fluid and "oops" cleaner to no avail. Anyone know of a way to get the glass clean down to the surface?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I have used rubbing alcohol to remove rain x before if that is actually what was used.

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
I haven't had good luck with any Rain-X product, The wiper fluid makes the wipers start skipping then black marks from the wipers, I just use Mopar wipers and regular wiper fluid.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate rainex as well....just wish I could get whatever it is off the glass!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't really know as I've only had this car for 2 months....I didn't put anything on it.

it's clear as a bell as far as looks go in the dry...but when water hits it it's like the water drops explode and run in all directions. I would really be scared to drive this thing at night in the rain....it's spooky enough in daylight.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I've seen polishing compounds for glass. It can be applied by hand or with a random orbital.

There are 2 versions of the glass polish 1) fine glass polish for mild spots and 2) glass polish for harder stubborn stains, etc.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I would try cooktop cleaner, my brother used that on his windows to get rid of any hardwater spots, could possibly work to remove the Rain-X film.

For the record I use Rain-X washer fluid for years and never had an issue with visibility.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
For the record, Rain-X is the best. In steady or REALLY hard rain I don't even use the wipers. The light, misty rain is the only time I use them. Rain-X also makes the condensation come off the side/rear windows come off easier too! We use it on ALL our fire trucks.

The "water goes everywhere" on the windshield is what it's supposed to. At night, it's not scary, it is nice that the water gets off the windshield fast.

I get mine off with some elbow grease, windex and a t-shirt.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
When I worked in a body shop back in the 80', they used steel wool to get oversprayed off of windows. Just water and steel wool.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Another method is to use Naptha or lighter fluid on the glass, let it sit for 5 minutes to soak in (break down the silicone) then wipe it down with Spray Nine then use PLENTY of water to wash off the Spray Nine......... Let it dry and then use a good glass cleaner followed up with the Diamondite kit.
Cleaning glass is a time consuming process and should be done every 6 months to remove oily road grime. My glass looks invisible.

·
Registered
226 Posts
For the record, Rain-X is the best. In steady or REALLY hard rain I don't even use the wipers. The light, misty rain is the only time I use them. Rain-X also makes the condensation come off the side/rear windows come off easier too! We use it on ALL our fire trucks.

The "water goes everywhere" on the windshield is what it's supposed to. At night, it's not scary, it is nice that the water gets off the windshield fast.

I get mine off with some elbow grease, windex and a t-shirt.
X2... I've been using Rain-X for over a decade now. I love it. You don't realize how nice it is until you get a chance to use it. My parents are in their 70s and the first time they had ever used it was when I put it on and my Mom thought it worked really well. Don't freak out about it, enjoy it.:TU:

Besides, you let it go long enough and it wears off itself, the whole reason why it needs to be re-applied.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I prefer Adam's Glass Sealant :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've never used the rain x that you just put on the windows, but i do use rain ex washer fluid. I love that stuff.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I use RainX with great results...... I apply it every 45 days ~ and have used it for years. Bugs was off easily and I have no problems with my wipers. It is key to apply this to a clean windshield and follow the directions if you want it to work.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
I haven't used Rainex in so many years I can't even remember. I have a product I want to try called aquapel. I'm hoping it doesn';t have any issues as you've mentioned.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts