Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have looked and looked for how to remove the actual grille and honeycomb but cannot find any with some good pictures up close and the best way to do it. If anybody has any pictures of how it looks after the front is taken off that would be awesome! I just like to know EXACTLY what I am getting into before I do it! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Once you get the front end off you'll be able to see that the Honeycomb is held on by some tabs in the back. Now I'm not saying you absolutely have to take the front end off, but it'll make your life so much easier.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Did it without moving the front- what a pain! Very tight space to work in. Hubby's arms were pretty scraped up but as you can see, it is doable. Someone will know how the front end comes off, as many have done the removal. I haven't on a 2nd gen but have on the 1st gen when I replaced my headlights. Fairly quick and simple compared to this way.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
^^this. If you have smaller forearms it'll be a breeze to navigate and get them out. I still have yet to see someone actually escape without looking like a suicide attempt.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
You can do it without removing the front fascia but in all honesty it's less of a pain just to remove the fascia.

Here's how- I put the address in this thread. It's in the "Lights back together, fascia off" part. Great instructions on that site. Unfortunately, I Photoshopped all that so it's not an active link so you'll have to copy it and type it in address bar. I've done it several times now and I can probably remove my fascia in 5 minutes.

http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149883

Edit: first time I did it was without removing the fascia. My twin bro was over to help and we both we're beat up- our arms looked like a pack of rabid cats attacked us... And I dropped my small ratchet screw driver in the abyss and haven't even been able to locate it with the fascia off :(.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^this. If you have smaller forearms it'll be a breeze to navigate and get them out. I still have yet to see someone actually escape without looking like a suicide attempt.
I am pretty tall and lanky... Do you think it would be possible? Also have you seen any pictures/videos/links of people doing this :dork:

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Yes, you can see the screw hole placement in my second picture but it's a tight squeeze between the grille and the rad. Suicidal and rabid cats are correct descriptions of your forearms after this project is complete. Was a little easier for me and my skinny chicken wings to put the grille back in but a thumb-drive(?) screwdriver is essential. Whatever this thing is:

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, you can see the screw hole placement in my second picture but it's a tight squeeze between the grille and the rad. Suicidal and rabid cats are correct descriptions of your forearms after this project is complete. Was a little easier for me and my skinny chicken wings to put the grille back in but a thumb-drive(?) screwdriver is essential. Whatever this thing is:
So how did you get behind there to find the screws? :wow: Also how hard is it to find the screw placement when looking and how long did it take you?

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
So how did you get behind there to find the screws? :wow: Also how hard is it to find the screw placement when looking and how long did it take you?
I didn't take many pics because I was new to the forum and didn't think about putting together a how-to for others. As you can see in this pic, the two plastic pieces on top have been removed and are sitting on the grass.

I have a tool (red handles there) that pops the clips that hold it down. A flathead will also work. After that it's mostly by feel to locate the screws, top and bottom, side and side. I don't remember how long it took because there was a lot of cursing and rummaging in tool boxes. Maybe an hour? Hopefully shorter for you as you can see where the screw placement is. I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Dude, just take the fascia off. It is sooo much easier to work with the grille then. The fascia is a breeze to take off. 8 push pins and 8 bolts and it comes right off. Trust me, you will want the fascia off.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
You're welcome. I think this is one of those "Choose the best answer" questions. Yes, the grille can be removed without removing the fascia but is it the best way? I don't think so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts