Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I am forced to get a junkyard door and replace mine as the hinge failed and cracked the door metal. Body shops won’t help me as they can’t “buy it from manufacture” and they won’t weld either.

im going this weekend to find a door.
I heard on YouTube that if you don’t disconnect the battery for a few hours, the airbag will deploy when the door cabling is disconnected.

Is this true?
Any cautions I need to know of?

Thanks!

2009 charger sxt 3.5 rwd

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not sure If the air bag will deploy. But I know that you probobly wont find a door at the junkyard. If you actually do though inspect the car door thoroughly. You dont want it to be cracked like yours was. Make sure to disconnect the door and do all of the wiring. My suggestion would be to just weld on a new hinge yourself. Use a hinge from the junkyard and use your old door. Which would both cost less and sharpen your skills in welding. If you don't have a welder. Than try and get one. Or sometimes different shops rent them out. Maybe your buddy has one. I don't know. If you don't wanna do that well that's all I got.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of welding it, except the metal that cracked and fell out, is the actual door metal itself, where the hinge attaches. It ripped it. Not sure it will be strong enough anymore?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
If you do find a door do as suggested and take all of it; including the wiring harness/connector. On all service procedures in the Service Guide that involve disconnecting any electrical connections ... the first step is " Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable." At least it is for the 2007 era Chargers. The new 2020 Chargers may have additional steps or revised procedures.

Front Door removal:
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Open the front door.
3. Disengage the front door wire harness boot and connector (1) from the outside of the lower A-pillar
(2).

4. Carefully pull the door wire harness boot and connector (2) out from the A-pillar far enough to
access and disconnect the body wire harness connector(s) (1).
5. Open the door to the full open position.
6. Support the door with a suitable lifting device.
7. Remove the screw (1) from both the upper and lower front door hinges that secures the door hinge
bracket (3) to the body hinge bracket (2).
8. While still supporting the door, close the door to the intermediate detent position (one detent from the full open position).

9. Raise the front door (2) upward far enough to disengage the upper and lower hinge pins (3) from
the pivots (1) on the upper and lower body hinge brackets.
10. Remove the front door from the vehicle.

Front Door installation:
1. Support the front door (2) with a suitable lifting device.
2. Position the door with the upper and lower hinge pins (3) aligned over the pivots (1) on the upper
and lower body hinge brackets.
3. Lower the door far enough to engage the hinge pins into the pivot holes.
4. While still supporting the door, open the door to the full open position.

5. Align the holes in the upper and lower front door hinge brackets (3) with those in the body hinge
brackets (2).
6. Install and tighten the screw (1) into both the upper and lower front door hinge to secure the door hinge brackets to the body hinge brackets. Tighten the screws to 31 ft. lbs.
7. Remove the lifting device supporting the door

8. Carefully pull the body wire harness connector(s) (1) out from the A-pillar far enough to reconnect
them to the door wire harness boot and connector (2).

9. Engage the front door wire harness boot and connector (1) into the wiring clearance hole on the outside of the lower A-pillar (2).
10. Reconnect the battery negative cable

11. Adjust the door hinge positions as necessary to achieve proper door spacing and operation.

For vehicles equipped with the optional Automatic Express Up power window feature, recalibration of this feature is required whenever power to the door module is disrupted.

AUTO UP FRONT WINDOW
If the vehicle is equipped with the auto-up front window feature, once the battery is reconnected the door module needs to be calibrated. The door module requires calibration anytime the battery or door module has been disconnected for any length of time. To calibrate, perform the following:
1. Connect the battery cables.
2. Using the window switch, raise the window to the full UP position. Hold the switch in position for 1 second, then drive the window all the way down to the bottom.

If the ESP system (electronic stability program) logs any diagnostic codes, after reconnecting the battery, perform the following SAS calibration ...

If the vehicle is equipped with ESP, once the battery is reconnected, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) needs to be calibrated. The SAS requires calibration anytime the battery or an ABS (ESP) component has been disconnected for any length of time. To calibrate, perform the following:
1. Start the engine.
2. Center the steering wheel.
3. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the internal stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the wheel all the way to the right until the opposite internal stop in the steering gear is met.
4. Center the steering wheel.
5. Stop the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found a 2008 door and put it on.
the wire harness was cut on the donor door.
it’s hung and without the connector. I’m planning on swapping the harness from old door to donor.

my dilima currently, I left my passenger window down.
I’m unable to roll it it up.
I assume the passenger door wiring runs thru the driver side switches.
Any suggestions until I can get the driver door wiring fixed?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

All passenger door power window switches receive their battery and ground feed for operating the passenger door power window motors through the driver side power window and lock master switch and wire harness connector. I don't of any way to operate the passenger window with the driver side master switch removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts