Dodge Charger Forum banner

Resonator Delete Question

14K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Dillon-V6-Charger 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to the forums. It's nice to meet everyone! I have a 2017 Charger SE and was curious about doing a reso delete with stock muffler. Will it decrease back pressure and have a slight loss in performance or will it give me a hair better performance? Basically I just want to do it for sound (because I don't have the money to get a muffler right now) but I won't do it if I'm losing performance lol.

#2 ·
Welcome to the site. You want to remove the mid muffler, not the resonator. You'll get crazy drone if you remove the rear resonators. As far as power goes, you shouldn't notice a difference. Cut the mid mufflers off, add a section of pipe and your golden.

#4 ·
Ah ok thank you guys for the feedback. That's another thing I don't want is the rice sound I hate it. I really want the old muscle sound or something close to it. I was thinking of doing my own custom design going with a single long chambered muffler to 3 inch out to dual with a good tip? I feel like that would get me closer to the old sound any thoughts?

(Edit) - I was thinking the 3 inch out from the chambered would give it the deeper sound that it would need.

#6 ·
I've heard a lot of magnaflows stuff and it does sound damn good but I don't know if that's what I'll go with because it's not just the deep part I want but that mid pop rumble that you hear on the old cars I love it. I've been looking at some mufflers called Sweet Thunder Chambered and I feel like that's as close as I'll get to what I want.

#7 ·
Ok I guess I get to be " that guy " the old sound you are wanting is not attainable with these new cars without changing the cam and a lot more expensive stuff.This is simply because of the timing and all the other difference between these cars and the older ones. That lope isn't going to happen for cheap or on a mostly stock car.The more obvious and biggest reason you are going to have problems getting that deep sound is you have a V6. I had the Pentastar engine nothing wrong with it but not going to get that deep rumble with out the extra 2 cylinders.Loud you can get . I had several different set ups on my Challenger stock sounded best.But whatever you decide it's you that has to be happy / live with it best of luck with whatever you decide.

#10 ·
With our 3.6L engines we need either different muffler setup or a catback exhaust system to sound better than stock. We aren't fortunate like the 5.7Ls and up to just do mid muffler delete or resonator delete. They got it easy. We dont have a lot of options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.