Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is essentially going to be the same information as the revised CTP2013 thread, but tailored to the CTP11/CTP12 radios that came in the 2011-2012 model years. If you have a CTP13 radio, please see this thread instead:
http://chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=165278

These radios do not have some of the same problems that the CTP2013 have since there are fewer files to install, but it's worth breaking it into two separate threads.

(Skip down to the my next post for update instructions)

Begin rant<This guide will detail the steps for getting map updates from a compatible Garmin nuvi and installing it into your car. Technically, it is breaking the terms of the EULA's, but neither Chrysler nor Garmin seem interested in selling us timely map updates - or even any dated updates, for that matter.

I will not provide any extra help or instructions for anyone downloading the files from anywhere other than directly from Garmin. Many files from alternative sources have been modified in ways that are just fine for a regular nuvi, but are incompatible with our systems. Pirated map files are just too much of a headache to be worth messing with. If you can afford one of these cars, you can afford to buy a nuvi!>End rant

Note that there is no official update DVD for the '13-'14 models, and the official update for the '11-'12 models is no longer available. It might be possible for an update DVD to be released, but I believe that it may have some features stripped from it in order to make it small enough to reliably update the official way.

In light of this, I'm resigned to the fact that the only way that we will be able to get a full map update is to do it ourselves.

The files in this guide were selected based on the files that were included in the now-unavailable 2014 offical map update DVD (which contained maps from 9 months ago) but tailored to the latest 2015.10 maps from Garmin.

I highly suggest purchasing a compatible nuvi in order to have your own supply of map updates. I recommend either a 3490LMT or a 3590LMT as those two models are guaranteed compatible with the CTP12 radio - aside from the JCV file. You can pick one of these up for less than the cost of a single official map update DVD, so don't be cheap and just pick one up. It will save a lot of the headaches caused from downloading maps from somewhere else. Plus, Garmin still makes some money!

There may very well be other compatible nuvis, but I cannot comment on any other model.

You can identify the difference between CTP11/CTP12 and CTP2013 models by looking at the main "Where To?" screen. On a CTP11/CTP12, the "Where To?" icon is a magnifying glass. On a CTP2013 model, it is an arrow.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 1: Getting update files from the nuvi

Begin by plugging your nuvi into the computer and running GarminExpress. The program will let you update your nuvi software and will install the latest map update. This will take some time, so just let it do its thing.

After the nuvi has been updated and has the latest maps, you must enable the Mass Storage feature so that you can browse the files using your computer's file explorer. After this is done, your nuvi will show up in your computer like a normal USB flash drive. This only needs to be done once.

To enable Mass Storage in the nuvi:
1) Disconnect the nuvi from the computer.
2) From the main, "Where To?" screen, tap the "Volume" button.
3) Tap and hold the upper-right corner for about 10 seconds to enter the Diagnostics Page.
4) Scroll down and tap "MTP Settings".
5) Select "Mass Storage" and tap the "Save" button.
5) Tap the back arrow button twice to go back to the main screen.

After Mass Storage is enabled, plug the nuvi back into the computer. To copy the update files to a USB stick:

1) Ensure that the computer is set to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives", and that "Hide extensions for know file types" & "Hide protected operating system files" are both unchecked. This will allow you to easily find the nuvi files and avoid confusion.

2) Plug a blank USB stick into your computer and create a folder named "Garmin". All of the update files will go into this folder, regardless of where they came from in the nuvi. Inside the Garmin folder, create two more folders named "ASR" and "JCV".

3) Open the nuvi 'drive' and browse to the ".System" folder which should be visible at the top of the list. If you don't see it, go back and double-check that step 1) was completed properly.

4) Copy ONLY the following two files from the ".System" folder in the nuvi into the "Garmin" folder in the USB stick:
gmapprom.img
gmaptz.img

5) Browse to the ".System\ASR" folder in the nuvi and copy ONLY the following four files into the "Garmin\ASR" folder on the USB stick:
04CNCW74.srx
04CNCW75.asr
04CNCW76.asr
04CNCW77.asr
*Note that these file names are ONLY for 2015.10 map.

6) Download the following file directly from Garmin and place in the "Garmin\JCV" folder on the USB stick:
http://download.garmin.com/support/2015_10/NA/JV/D3060140A.JCV
*Note that this file is ONLY for the 2015.10 map.

When you are finished, the folder/file structure on the USB stick should look like this:
└───Garmin
. │ gmapprom.img
. │ gmaptz.img
. │
. ├───ASR
. │ 04CNCW74.srx
. │ 04CNCW75.asr
. │ 04CNCW76.asr
. │ 04CNCW77.asr
. │
. ├───JCV
. │ D3060140A.JCV

Some folks may notice that this does not include the full set of update files that come with a nuvi update, however, these are the only files that are required for the CTP11/12 system. The other files will just be taking up unnecessary space.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 3: Generating your unlock code

This step is only necessary for the CTP11/12 radios. It does not need to be done for a CTP2013 radio - if you have a CTP2013, go to the other revised guide at http://chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=165278

There are two programs that you will need to generate the unlock code for your map/car combination. You will need to generate a new code for each new map.

The first program is called GMapTool, and it is used to identify the FID number for each new map. I'll save you all a step and just post it here for the 2015.50 map: 3326

GMapTool can be downloaded from here: http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/windows-setup

To use this program, install it to your computer. After it is installed, open it and you will be presented with a window.
1) Drag-and-drop gmapprom.img from the USB stick into the blank area under "File Name"
2) Click the "Info" button.
3) Record the FID number.

After you have the FID number, you need to get the 10-digit Device ID number from your radio. You can either find it in the settings menus, or you can wait until the radio prompts you during the install process. It's easier to get it beforehand, though.

Now that you have your Device ID number from your car and the FID number for the map, it's time to generate your 25-digit unlock code. To do this, you need Jetmouse for PC available here: http://uploaded.net/file/kk8xn220/Jetmouse_for_PC.rar

After you get the program, open it on your computer.

1) Enter your 10-digit Device ID code in the "Enter your Unit ID here:" box.
2) In the "Select Map Product:" section, scroll to the bottom and choose "<custom mapset>'
3) In the new window, enter the four-digit FID number in the "FID (or MapID):" box (3326 for 2015.10 map) and click "OK".
4) Click the "Generate" button in the bottom left corner.
5) Copy the map unlock code (or take a picture of it!)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 4

The update package is ready to go into the car. I don't have access to a CTP11/CTP12 right now, so I'm going to try to go from memory...

1) Toggle the Start button to the ACC or RUN positions. The car engine needs not be running, but be aware that the car will turn itself off in the ACC or RUN positions after a period of time. It is critical that you don't allow the car to turn off after the update process begins. Either babysit it by periodically cycling the Start button to reset the timer (make sure the doors are closed when doing this) or just go for a drive while the map is being updated. The update can take more than an hour, so plan accordingly.

2) Go to the navigation screen and plug the update USB stick into the USB jack in the center console. The radio will recognize that an update disk has been inserted, and will begin validating the files on the USB stick. This may take some time.

When the validation process passes, a window will pop up and will ask you if you want to update to the newer map. Proceed through the onscreen prompts, including entering in the 25-digit unlock code that you generated earlier.

3) After this, the radio will reboot and begin copying the new files into the system. This will take a long time, so just let it finish.

Occasionally, the radio may lock up at the reboot stage. If it doesn't reboot after a minute or so, you must pull the radio fuse in the trunk. I have no idea why this happens, but nothing bad happens to the radio and you can simply repeat from step 1 again after plugging the fuse back in.

4) After the install process has reached 100%, the radio will again reboot. It may either tell you that the map update was successful or not, but if it got all the way to the end, the update was successful regardless of what it says.

5) Go into your settings and verify that the maps were updated to the latest version.

6) Enjoy!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks Tanbam! I guess unlocking the locked files and an extra ASR file is what made most of my attempts failures. For future reference, why is the fifth ASR (-78)file left off?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no idea what the last ASR file does, but it's not present on either of the two models of the radios with the OEM maps, nor is it included in the CTP11/12 2014 update disk.

Whatever it does, it doesn't seem to be needed, nor does it seem to add anything if included. It is just wasted space.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My Junction Views are great now with the one linked above. So far my nav has went from very limited amount of actual Junction Views that came with the car, then i was able to load a larger JVC file but it was the one with the smaller aspect ratio size and now to the large JVC file with correct aspect ratio!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The right JCV file makes a world of difference. I wish the 13+ radios could take advantage of the larger JCV views, since they look a lot nicer in my opinion.

On the other hand, it's nice to have both the map and the JCV on the screen at the same time, but if you could just tap the split-screen view and have it go to full screen, it would be very cool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For some reason using the same USB stick i have always used on my 2011 radio, i keep getting an error 0x31A2 after only about 5-10 minutes of updating. The 2015.10 maps are the first time this has happened, but trying to revert back to the 2014.40 maps that installed fine last time it gives me this same error, but the maps appear to work again on 2014.40 even though it errored out. After the error on the 2015.10 maps it can't calculate routes anymore. it gets to 99% and then says the route can not be calculated. So worst case scenario i stay on the 2014.40 from now on and not attempt updates anymore, but it would be nice to know whats going on and if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try cleaning out any old files by installing gmapprom.img by itself, making sure that nothing else is on the USB stick.

There was an issue with the 2015.10 maps not downloading properly. Garmin had to fix something on their server because some people were getting corrupted files. Perhaps it would be worth reinstalling the nuvi maps in Garmin Expess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking for thes files:

04CNCW74.srx
04CNCW75.asr
04CNCW76.asr
04CNCW77.asr

Where I can find them because they are not on my Nuvi...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Traded the Charger

As much as I loved my 2012 blacktop, I needed something to tow a boat. Someone else is now the proud owner of my old car with 2015 maps on it.

Now, onto the new problem.

I bought a 2014 Cherokee (tows 4500 pounds, and has the v6 Pentastar like the charger) I of course bought one with a 2014 RA4/8.4AN model uconnect unit expecting the same experience. fail. The maps are totally different and outdated. Help!

It says the maps are 2012Q4

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The upgrade DVD will have everything you need, but be aware that the map on it is 2013.40 vs the current 2015.10. The 2015.20 update will probably come out this month.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As much as I loved my 2012 blacktop, I needed something to tow a boat. Someone else is now the proud owner of my old car with 2015 maps on it.

Now, onto the new problem.

I bought a 2014 Cherokee (tows 4500 pounds, and has the v6 Pentastar like the charger) I of course bought one with a 2014 RA4/8.4AN model uconnect unit expecting the same experience. fail. The maps are totally different and outdated. Help!

It says the maps are 2012Q4

Any thoughts?
Let me borrow your Cherokee for a week and we'll figure it out! :gy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm getting the following error after a succesful 100% update to my CTP11 with no errors:

CN NA all 2014.30

Detailed maps not found for routing.
No detailed maps were found on this unit
Please insert SD card with proper map database

Any suggestions? I'm currently trying with a different IMG file and will post updates.

Updated: after trying with flashing with a different IMG file everything is working correctly and shows as Map version 2014.30

Thanks

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our radios are notorious for not working well with "pirated" maps. I'm using that term loosely, because I suppose it's piracy of a sort even if you copy legitimate maps from your own personal nüvi.

Most maps that you can download are modified in some way. Some people who provide these maps like to add their handle for credit, or slightly change the map ID to something else. I've also seen map images that have had some extra data removed to make the image fit in smaller nüvis. Stuff like the US Virgin Islands and the Bahamas and such.

While these maps work just fine in a standalone nüvi, they can fail to work in the cars. There's really no way of telling which ones are good and which are not, other than actually trying them out. Because of this, I always recommend that you purchase a standalone in order to source your own maps.

I know it's technically against some EULA, bit it's not as if Chrysler or Garmin is losing any money on the sales of the map upgrades. They have not bothered to offer an upgrade to purchase for 2013's and up, so going this route is the only way to keep updated with road changes. If there were an official update path I would probably take advantage of it, but I suppose they just don't want our money...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just tried the 2015.20 maps and again i still get the error on re-flash. I tried with just the gmapprom.img like you suggest and it still errors out within the first 15 minutes. Any ideas whats going on or how to fix this?

I have tried multiple different flash drives and even using older maps that worked before. Everything i try errors now. The most recent error i got was 0x 31A2

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015.20 update working

Just got the 2015.20 update working on my 2011 Charger...this is the list of files I had on my flash drive

Directory of G:\Garmin

08/31/2014 10:47 AM <DIR> .
08/31/2014 10:47 AM <DIR> ..
08/18/2014 09:12 PM 2,368,077,824 gmapprom.img
02/25/2013 09:44 PM 588,800 gmaptz.img
08/31/2014 01:04 AM <DIR> ASR
08/31/2014 01:04 AM <DIR> JCV
2 File(s) 2,368,666,624 bytes

Directory of G:\Garmin\ASR

08/31/2014 10:49 AM <DIR> .
08/31/2014 10:49 AM <DIR> ..
08/18/2014 09:10 PM 48,962,392 04CS1KAO.srx