Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SXT 3.6L VVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 charger has 17” rims which is lame

if I wanted to get 20” rims would I be okay to upgrade to a brembo 4 piston calipers?
Power stop and wilwood are other top competitors any suggestions or advice?

As well as vented slotted & dimpled rotors is Power stop or EBC good on reliability and performance and obviously
will all this being said maintenance on the pads rotors and calipers what would that be like 40kish miles should I start to keep an eye on em? Or what’s your guys take for whom have these maybe equipped onto your rig!

have a blessed day yall

·
Registered
2013 R/T Max
489 Posts
No need to upgrade the calipers to go from 17s to 20s, and frankly Brembos are a waste of money on a V6 IMO.
Drilled/slotted rotors work well on an Italian supercar, do nothing for your Charger except look cool.
I put Powerstop Geomet coated rotors & ceramic pads on a year ago and they still look brand new.
Remember to keep the same overall diameter when switching sizes to maintain correct speedometer reading, and expect a harsher ride quality. The sidewall on 20s is much thinner than 17s so less cushioning.

·
Registered
2013 SXT 3.6L VVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keeping the same overall diameter of my rotors when switching to 20” and keep the same diameter through each 4 wheels correct

·
Registered
2013 SXT 3.6L VVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And all this performance coils and brake kits are obviously cool and do something to a v6 but I mean it’s a v6 I’m never gonna get what I want out of performance from a v6 so don’t worry about high end performance parts and shit

·
Registered
2013 R/T Max
489 Posts
Keeping the same overall diameter of my rotors when switching to 20” and keep the same diameter through each 4 wheels correct
No, keeping the tire/wheel combo the same diameter.
Example: if your existing 17" tires are 28" overall diameter, then the 20" tire/wheel combo should be the same to keep the speedo correct.
No need to alter the brakes at all.

·
Registered
2015 Rallye with Plus Package
1,994 Posts
As NJMOPAR stated, you want to keep the overall diameter of the old & new wheels the same. Here's a link to a tire size calculator that should help. Enter the size of your current wheels in the first set of boxes, and try different sizes in the second box until you find a size that minimizes the speedometer error.

·
Registered
932 Posts
No need to upgrade the calipers to go from 17s to 20s, and frankly Brembos are a waste of money on a V6 IMO.
Drilled/slotted rotors work well on an Italian supercar, do nothing for your Charger except look cool.
I put Powerstop Geomet coated rotors & ceramic pads on a year ago and they still look brand new.
Remember to keep the same overall diameter when switching sizes to maintain correct speedometer reading, and expect a harsher ride quality. The sidewall on 20s is much thinner than 17s so less cushioning.

I will argue the rotor slotted bit. Having driven with and without them I found that at min slotted rotors are functional and will perform better under heavy situations. The Charger has both drilled / slotted and the braking abilities are def not same as stock, and ability to withstand continuous abuse is higher than before.

For mundane drivers they are useless. For some other not so much.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I factored in the OP's V6 in my response as to the rotors. ;)
Well, considering how small the V6 packaege brakes off I would def say at min slotted rotors would help under hard braking.

Reactions: NJMOPAR

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

If I wanted to get 20” rims would I be okay to upgrade to a brembo 4 piston calipers?

As well as vented slotted & dimpled rotors is Power stop or EBC good on reliability and performance and obviously
will all this being said maintenance on the pads rotors and calipers what would that be like 40kish miles should I start to keep an eye on em? Or what’s your guys take for whom have these maybe equipped onto your rig!

have a blessed day yall
Nothing wrong with 17s, but if you're stepping up to 20s, just upgrade your fronts to BR5 (R/T) parts and let it go at that. Cheap and effective.

The BR5s come on an R/T R&T with a 149 MPH limiter. They're good enough for your Pentastar.

If you want a bigger step up, go with a BR9 Pursuit upgrade.

·
Registered
2013 SXT 3.6L VVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing wrong with 17s, but if you're stepping up to 20s, just upgrade your fronts to BR5 (R/T) parts and let it go at that. Cheap and effective.

The BR5s come on an R/T R&T with a 149 MPH limiter. They're good enough for your Pentastar.

do I need to change the rear to br5 as well? Yeah I have nothing wrong with the 17’s just 20’s offer more rim design more style

·
Registered
2015 Rallye with Plus Package
1,994 Posts
The front brakes provide 60-70% of the stopping power, so I suspect that you would see little difference by upgrading the rear brakes.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
R/T BR5 Brakes are a good upgrade for the sxt or say models with single caliper fronts and non vented rears. Power stop offers a kit.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The rears are the easiest to do. That non-vented disc will fade very quickly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The BR9 upgrade is worth the money and relatively easy, it significantly improved stopping ability. As mentioned the slotted and drilled rotors were mostly for looks ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts

if I wanted to get 20” rims would I be okay to upgrade to a brembo 4 piston calipers?

have a blessed day yall
the stock rotors are under rated they heat up and warp. I changed mine over to Charger Pursuit
BRAKES Upgrade to BR9 2016 RWD 3.6L Pursuit Brakes, Z37 Pads “GG Rated” Charger forums View Discussion SXT-->R/T brake conversion: What's needed?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts