Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am posting a follow up to the post from yesterday. Quick background...2014 SRT 392 Edition #225/392. 25k miles. Original stock Brembos all the way around. Currently squeaking like hell. Pretty certain it's the pads.

My rotors barely have a lip on them. When I say barely, I mean like it's even hard to catch my fingernail on them. Is it fine to just upgrade my pads and call it good? Or is it necessary to buy new rotors as well. I don't currently have any warps (or feel like I do when I brake anyway) in the stock rotors. Should I just leave them and save a few hundred bucks? Pretty certain I'm going to get the Powerstop Z26 (or maybe Z23).

Fairly certain that they won't turn the stock slotted rotors anyway.

Thoughts? TIA.

·
Registered
948 Posts
One thing I didn't mention in the other thread was that I did just what you are suggesting on my 2004 Dodge intrepid. The factory brakes lasted forever. No shaking no shimmy, just wore the pads flat out. I had very subtle grooving. I tossed some Bendix CT3 ceramic pads on and kept on rocking.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I didn't mention in the other thread was that I did just what you are suggesting on my 2004 Dodge intrepid. The factory brakes lasted forever. No shaking no shimmy, just wore the pads flat out. I had very subtle grooving. I tossed some Bendix CT3 ceramic pads on and kept on rocking.
Boom. Makes sense. I appreciate the response. Makes me feel better about the decision. I think that's the way I'm gonna go. I can always add the rotors later if I find it being a problem. Thanks man.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
There's no problem replacing pads and NOT rotors if the rotors are fine. Just not the other way around. As far as squealing goes, make sure you use anit-squeal stuff on the back of the pads. The stuff works. In alot of case, people describe squealing but really the noise is chatter coming from the metal bracket on the back of the pads. A little anti-squeal on the back goes a long way to stop that chatter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sou
There's no problem replacing pads and NOT rotors if the rotors are fine. Just not the other way around. As far as squealing goes, make sure you use anit-squeal stuff on the back of the pads. The stuff works. In alot of case, people describe squealing but really the noise is chatter coming from the metal bracket on the back of the pads. A little anti-squeal on the back goes a long way to stop that chatter.
Sounds good! I ended up ordering the Z23s with the rubber backings instead of the Z26s.

Reactions: Stevens12

·
Registered
948 Posts
Z26s got here yesterday. Rotors today
MAN THOSE ROTORS ARE HEAVY. Scale says around 26lbs each

20190412_171242.jpg

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts