Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
Looking to see if anyone has experienced a rough idle with their Pentastar V6. Over the past 3 or so weeks, my car has begun to develop a strong "shutter" at idle, whether I have just turned the car on or it has been running and I'm sitting at a traffic light. At the same time, I watch the RPMs fluctuate; they drop down then jump back up, then regulate out. This occurs every 15 seconds or so.

I was reading somewhere that some of the Pentastars in other Chrysler models had a Cylinder #2 misfire, and the head had to be replaced. Anyone hear if the 2012 Charger is affected?

If it helps, I have just over 48,000 miles. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
4,390 Posts
Would you be able to see of there are any underlying codes for a better diagnosis.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do. I'm hoping it's nothing major, and that Dodge will take care of it. I'm going to call Chrysler tomorrow before I take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called Chrysler and they said there are no recalls pending or any known issues with the cylinder heads on the Chargers, and they recommended that I schedule an appointment with my dealership. So now I guess I'm stuck paying a $100 fee for them to tell me "We can't find anything wrong". Anyone else have any better idea of how to get this looked at?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll give that a try first and see if they can come up with anything. I'm hoping this doesn't become a bigger issue!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went by Autozone this evening, they hooked it up and it returned no codes. I guess I'll just live with it until either it corrects itself or gets worse.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would put a bottle of dry gas in the tank and see if it helps. You may have a little bit of water floating around in your tank from a previous fill up. The dry gas will mix with the water and allow it to burn. Good luck and let us know if gets better.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may have to give it a try. I'm sort of hoping for it to just go away, ha.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Take it to the dealership man. All the scan tools Ive seen save for the $2,000.00+ ones that have active DataStream monitoring can only read active codes, but there seems to be another level that starscan and witech can find stored codes on. I had some weird codes that only the dealership could see, and they ended up replacing my PCM twice because of lost comms errors and abs vin mismatch... ironically this only happens after tuned whether that's a coincidence or not I do not know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Clean your throttle body. It's probably dirty around the throttle blade, which can cause idle flucuations. I clean the throttle bodies on all of my vehicles once a year with rubbing alcohol on a clean, lint-free rag. I wipe the whole throttle body down as far in as I can reach, paying particular attention to the edges of the throttle blade and the back side of the throttle blade. I follow this up with an aerosol throttle body cleaner.

We owned a 92 Grand Caravan with the 3.3L Chrysler engine that developed an idle flucuation at about 60k miles. I started performing just the alcohol wipe-down process twice a year, after the idle stutter came back a year later, and never had another issue again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't have anything to read codes with. There is no check-engine light on, either.
Hey there... I had an issue with 2010 SXT with 48K.. try the key trick, on, acc, on, acc, on and right where the mileage displays, the code would be there (if the computer detects a issue)

I Seafoam my charger, sea foam your gas tank and in your vacuum line, rev engine when putting the sea foam in the line and let sit for 5 mins with vehicle off.. then start up and get your RPM's up.. enjoy the smoke show.. then drive for a while and gun it a few times to make sure everything is out of the system such as carbon etc.

-let me know if you any other questions, PM too

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would recommend the Seafoam treatment if you're planning on changing your plugs soon after. When you use Seafoam, it gunks up your plugs big time and people constantly believe that a big smoke show is ALL from the motor and the gunk that's being released. It's more of a placebo effect if you ask me. I used to be a BMW owner and that's where I've learned about the plugs gunking up after Seafoam.

With that said, my 2012 V6 has stumbling idle issues ever since I bought it. My car had only 30,000 miles when I bought it and I took it in the 2nd day I owned it because the idle bothered me that much especially when it's a near new car. The dealer said the most common thing ANY dealership tells people with complaints: "If it doesn't have a check engine light on, we can't do anything".

I'm just sitting and waiting patiently for The Chrysler Group to send out cylinder head or software recalls for 3.6 engines.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would recommend the Seafoam treatment if you're planning on changing your plugs soon after. When you use Seafoam, it gunks up your plugs big time and people constantly believe that a big smoke show is ALL from the motor and the gunk that's being released. It's more of a placebo effect if you ask me. I used to be a BMW owner and that's where I've learned about the plugs gunking up after Seafoam.

With that said, my 2012 V6 has stumbling idle issues ever since I bought it. My car had only 30,000 miles when I bought it and I took it in the 2nd day I owned it because the idle bothered me that much especially when it's a near new car. The dealer said the most common thing ANY dealership tells people with complaints: "If it doesn't have a check engine light on, we can't do anything".

I'm just sitting and waiting patiently for The Chrysler Group to send out cylinder head or software recalls for 3.6 engines.
Now that I did not know... and yeah the dealer ignored my issue as well. They had stated I had carbon build up. There has got to be something wrong causing this... but like I said.. I have just adjusted my idle higher because it is very annoying to me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Now that I did not know... and yeah the dealer ignored my issue as well. They had stated I had carbon build up. There has got to be something wrong causing this... but like I said.. I have just adjusted my idle higher because it is very annoying to me.

See, you shouldnt have to alter the idle on a car that near new. It's clearly an engineering flaw on Chrysler's part.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I guess I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. I may try seafoam and new plugs and go from there. Seems like a cheaper alternative.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts