Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and new to chargers. I just bought a 07' sxt 3.5L v6 awd. It's awesome! Always wanted one and Now I do! I've noticed since I bought it that in park/neutral if I "romp" on it and rev it to about 4000rpms it hangs out up there for a bit before returning to idle. Is this normal or is something off? Most cars would jump up and right back to idle. Thanks!

·
12,921 Posts
I'm not sure about that. IMO, it's not a very good idea to rev up that high unless you're in gear. Hopefully, some others will chime in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why does everyone keep saying that? Has no one ever fluttered the throttle to rumble a lil exhaust? I'm not talking about standing on it.... I'm just saying while opening up the flowmaster a bit, it doesn't return to idle quickly. Every car I had prior would drop straight back to idle....maybe it's more like 2500-3000 but still

·
Registered
626 Posts
Why does everyone keep saying that? Has no one ever fluttered the throttle to rumble a lil exhaust? I'm not talking about standing on it.... I'm just saying while opening up the flowmaster a bit, it doesn't return to idle quickly. Every car I had prior would drop straight back to idle....maybe it's more like 2500-3000 but still
No, because high revs in neutral or park is a really bad idea. That's how engines grenade, never try to reach high revs without a load. Yah it sounds cool to rev the engine, but it can have serious consequences. And the reason it takes longer than normal for the RPM's to drop is because you're hitting the rev limiter and the car is then bringing the RPM's down to a safe level GRADUALLY rather than rapidly (rapidly is what causes the damage).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks and trust me.... I'm Not just running around blasting the throttle all the time trying to sound cool. I actually noticed it on accident the first time. Then when we installed the flowmaster I gave it some gas to check out the sound and it stayed up there. It's weird to me cause NO car I've ever owned has done this and all the car guys I know said it seems wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the rev limiter on these is 2500 outta a possible 7000? It sounds like I'm some ignorant punk that wants to look cool but im being serious and it just struck me as odd. Thanks all

·
Registered
626 Posts
So the rev limiter on these is 2500 outta a possible 7000? It sounds like I'm some ignorant punk that wants to look cool but im being serious and it just struck me as odd. Thanks all
The neutral/park rev limiter is 4000 rpm's, and the rev limiter while driving is around 6400rpm's. But yes Dodge does it to save people from themselves basically. You can buy a tuner (Diablo) to increase or remove the rev limiter, but do so at your own risk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts