Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced rust bubbles under the paint along the edges of the hood? My car is a 2017 so out of the sheet metal warranty of 5yrs. just noticed about 3 to 4 different spots where on the very front edge of the hood the paint is bubbling. Scary as this car is garage kept.

· Registered
72 Posts
Are you the original owner? Has it ever been wrecked? Has it spent any time in the rust belt in winter? Is the car exposed to salt air near salt water? Could it be from electrolysis? If the battery weren't in the trunk, I'd suggest an overcharging issue. The only other thing I can think of is poor paint prep.

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Most often, that's dissimilar metal corrosion from iron oxide dust settling on the aluminum hood prior to painting at the factory. Generally, this will progress faster outside due to temperature swings, but there's really no way to stop it.

· Registered
2017 Scat Pack Charger
162 Posts
Yes, we had happen to ours as well.
No wrecks, no abuse, car sleeps in our garage when it's not in use.

Started out really small, we didn't even notice it at first.
We were really close to the 5yr corrosion warranty, but dodge did cover it.

Talking to the paint guy, he mentioned he sees this and as mentioned, its due to dissimilar metals.

and yeah, I worry it will come back because next time, we are on our own.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts