Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 2017 charger police package that I plan on doing a salvage rebuild on. I figured I would share the experience here where others can follow along and possibly take on the same task with less guessing, by reading through my experience. I’ve done salvage rebuilds before as well as bought and sold well over 100 X police cars. Anyway the car I purchased is a 2017 hemi charger rear wheel drive with about 70,000 miles on it. By the looks of the damage the sheriffs deputy that was driving it went off the road into an earth embankment with the passenger side. The seatbelts are locked, the roof airbags and seat airbags blew out, and there is damage on the passenger side. I was going to try and PDR the passenger doors to keep them original, but instead opted to purchase a parts vehicle. This way I also have all the interior parts I need and I will be switching over to a civilian interior with center console.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’ve been working on this thing I managed to get the stripes off all the other glue residue still remains. Here are some pics of what it looks like right now and how the interior is. You’ll see why I purchased a parts vehicle and why I needed to convert the interior. The police car has a partition in it and prisoner door panels in the rear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yesterday I finally picked up the parts vehicle I purchased. I did try shopping around for the parts I needed before purchasing this. Just to put it back two police cars status are they police interior and replacement outside panels the same color would have cost me around $2000. Most likely a little bit more after adding miscellaneous parts. For a little less than double that I was able to purchase the parts vehicle. I have replacement doors and fender as well as the full civilian interior. I will have to have the seatbelts redone because they locked during the accident on both vehicles. The parts car has a good roof airbag for the passenger side but the driver side is blown. That I will have to replace. The parts car is a V6 car and it’s also a 2017. I may try to part out the parts car in the end to make back some of my money. I may also decide to keep it and try to purchase another charger to do a salvage rebuild on to really get my money back on it.

As you can see it took a slight left front hit. I might toy with it a little with my sone to get him to do some frame pulling on it. Sad thing is it does still run!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3M Adhesive Remover and plastic razor blades (as needed) work well on adhesive residue.
I used plastic razor blades and a heat gun to get the striping off. For some reason when I lived up north the stripes seem to come off a lot easier up there. I normally just used a heat gun and was able to peel them all the way. On this one stripes were total nightmare. I had to use plastic razor blades otherwise it just came off in tiny pieces. I might try your adhesive remover you recommended. I normally use gasoline in a lighter fluid spray bottle. It might seem like a bad way of doing it but I’ve done it that way for many years and never had an issue. I would usually use a credit card to remove the glue after soaking the gasoline into it. This time I’m going to try and use the plastic razor blade method though

·
Registered
421 Posts
Following!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got some time to work on the car today. I decided to rip out the police interior. Took me about half the day to do it. It was finally overcast and I still sweat my butt off. When taking the interior part I saw this. This person obviously should not be installing wiring. Looks like one of the clips right through the heavy gauge red wire.

I found this also. Too bad it wasn’t full. During ammo shortages it would be nice to have some extra.

Next up I’ll have to start ripping apart the donor car to start transplanting the interior.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For those of you doing something similar, for a long time I used sheet metal plugs to plug holes in the roof of ex police cars. I’ve never had any leak unless the roof was deformed around the hole. Even then some silicone around the plug before installation always sealed it for me.

Just a little more cleaning now around the edge of it to get rid of the old sealant from the light bar and it will be good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts