Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there a Scat Pack stage kits for 2019 cars? Or even just a Mopar performance tuned PCM?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Your post got me curious so I looked around and it seems that Dodge stopped the Scat Pack stage kits for Chargers starting with the 2017 model year (it seems). I have a 2015 Charger R/T with the stage 1 kit and I really like it. It seems that that the Scat Pack Stage Kits went away with the arrival of the active exhaust systems. This would make sense since a big piece of the Stage 1 kit was an upgraded cat back exhaust system.

EDIT - Also, the company that did the tunes for the kits was Arrow Racing which now seems to be a part of the Prefix Corporation. I suspect this change may have had an impact too.

Just guessing here....I suspect others with more insight will reply at some point.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My buddy works at a dodge dealership and he is looking into this for me. Dodge still has these performance packages listed online, without any price or ordering information. The dealerships I went to had no clue what I was talking about.

There are a couple websites out there that have some of them left. I’m sure someone knows more than I do on this, but I have been trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was planning on getting at least stage 1 and 2 installed next year, seriously considering stage 3. Really hoping I'll still be able to have it done.

I just checked the Mopar Performance Parts Catalog and the scat pack stage kits are still there but its now referred to as "Stage Performance Packages."
When I checked the catalog a month or so back it was still called the Scat Pack Performance packages so, its a recent change.
Based on the image used, you still get the Scat Pack Stage emblems. I'm not sure if I would actually put them on my car but whatever.
The Performance Packages are only listed as being available to 2014-2017 models. For just the Stage 1 PCM, 2011-2017 for the Charger and 2013-2017 for the Challenger

I'm hoping the exclusion of later years is just oversight. While I haven't looked at the 2019, as far as I know, there's no real difference between the 2017 and 2018. The 2017 was the first year the Charger got the active exhaust

FYI, the pricing on the 2017 Stage 1 is over $1,000 less than previous years. I assume that has something to do with the Active Exhaust because there is no option for just the cat-back exhaust for 2017 due to incompatibility with the Active Exhaust.

I get the impression I'm not allowed to link to the catalog pdf but google is your friend

Based on the availability of the packages for a 2017, I don't see why it wouldn't be available for at least the 2018.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something interesting
I found the link to a 2018 Performance Catalog pdf and 1 of the Cat-Back exhaust systems that have a cutoff date of 2016 in the 2019 catalog, has a 2018 cutoff date in the 2018 catalog. They still state that they are incompatible with the active exhaust in the 2018 catalog and they share the same part number. In the 2019 catalog, The difference in price between the Stage 1 kit for 2015/16 and 2017 is basically the cost of the Cat-back exhaust.

Now I really don't know what to think. What was fine last year is no longer fine this year? What was the change?

I plan on asking a few questions when I go in for an oil change which should be in the next few days. Hopefully I can find someone there that will be able and willing to provide me with the necessary answers instead of the same response most people seem to get which is complete confusion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, I spoke with a rep and his supervisor in the parts department at the dealership. I explained that Stage 1 and 2 were something I definitely wanted to do in 2020, among other things, and I was doing my research now but there were issues. The 2018 model year was indeed grayed out for stage 1 in their system. When I pointed out the Cat-back exhaust's status changing from the previous year, they did find that to be weird. Their thoughts were that the Chrysler engineers didn't like something and didn't want dealerships installing anything without consulting them first. We had to submit a request to Chrysler with my VIN attached before we could go any further. After about 30 minutes to an hour, a response came back with a part number for the 2017 Scat Pack Stage 1.

The rep said in the future, if nothing changed between the 2019 and 2020 catalog, this would be my best option but admitted that he wasn't sure if the request would be fulfilled. I believe he said they tried something similar in the past and the order wasn't fulfilled. Good enough for now I guess.
When I got home, I checked the part number but it didn't match anything in the 2018 or 2019 performance catalogs. I googled the number and got a match on a Mopar Parts distributor site. The part number was indeed for a 2017 scat pack stage 1 but it was out of stock and while it had the cat-back exhaust, it didn't have the cold air intake, which made sense. The cold air intake was not available for for the 2017 and up models in the 2018 catalog but it is available for the later years in the 2019 catalog. The Idea would be to install that 2017 scat pack and then install the cold air intake and go from there.

So, it looks like for now, it's case by case if you want to install Scat pack stages on 2018 and presumably 2019 RTs. Good luck to you and everyone else thats trying to install Stage 1 on a 2018 and 2019 models this year. I'm hoping for good news in the 2020 catalog.

Also, you can order Stage 2 and stage 3 tuned PCMs from Mopar parts distributors including Prefix

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Interesting updates. After reading through all this I'm really glad that I have a 2015 RT and did the Stage 1 upgrade in 2016.

Having the OEM Mopar Stage 1 PCM can have it's challenges however and the experience I am having now is an example.

Last year there was a recall for the cruise control (in certain situations it would not disengage) that required the PCM to be flashed. The Mopar Performance PCM's were not included in the recall because Mopar did not have the fix ready. Earlier this spring I got the recall notice for my Stage 1 PCM for the cruise control recall. Last week I took my Charger into the dealership to have the recall work performed which entailed pulling the PCM, sending it back to Mopar Performance in Detroit (I'm assuming that is Prefix / Arrow Racing) to be flashed and then shipping it back to the dealership.

It's been a week now and I'm still waiting. At least I know the performance tune flash will be done correctly.

BTW, this recall could be impacting the availability of Mopar Stage 1 PCM's. There are about 1900 stage 1 PCM's in the wild that need to be flashed and this could be impacting Mopar's ability / resources for producing new stage 1 PCM's.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did they provide you with a rental while waiting for the PCM?

I haven't gotten around to taking my car in for the recall, plan to do it in about 2 weeks.

My plan for when I get my Scat Pack stages is to negotiate pricing because I'll be declining the stage 1 PCM and will buy a stage 2 or 3 PCM directly from Prefix
If I get the Bee-liever pack (has all 3 stages), it would be a non-issue as it doesn't come with the stage 1 PCM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any updates on this? I recently installed the Mopar CAI and wanted to get the PCM to complete the stage 1.
The current world situation has caused me to hold on to my money for the time being so I haven't moved forward with any of my planned upgrades; I was supposed to do everything back in May :(
I did some more research before coming to that decision and the information still seems to be valid.

The Mopar Performance Parts catalog is still the same old 2019 version; been waiting patiently for over a year for the 2020 catalog but the online Mopar store has some updates.
While Scat Pack stage 1 is not available for 2018 and up year models, stages 2 and 3 are available, weird.
Theoretically you can just buy the parts for Stage 1 but the the cat-back exhaust and Stage 1 PCM aren't shown to be available for 2018 and up. Part numbers for the cat-back exhaust that is compatible with the 2018 exist but I haven't seen anything for the Stage 1 PCM.
Sadly, Prefix doesn't sell the stage 2 or stage 3 PCMs on their online store anymore. Strange considering they still sell some components for the 5.7 liter. So, without speaking directly to someone at Prefix or a rep in the part department at Dodge, I can only assume a 3rd party would be needed to acquire the PCMs.

The rest of my research just involved pricing, part numbers and compatible years from different Mopar part distributors

1 - 12 of 12 Posts