Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that this topic has been brought up thousands of times, but I'm really getting frustrated now...I've researched and researched, and all I come up with are a thousand different answers with not one common solution!

So when I bought my car from the stealership, everything was in order...including the brakes (which were recently changed to Duralast Max pads with plenty of meat left on the bone.) About a week or so after taking ownership, I start to hear slight screeching coming from the front brakes whenever I was coming to a slow stop at a light or a stop sign. So naturally, I check them out and everything looks good and it only happens a few times when the temps are hot and the brakes are well warmed. I again pull the brakes apart, rotors, calipers, and pads all look good...
Fast forward a few weeks, It starts getting worse and more frequent, so I swap pads out for Duralast GT High Performance Race Pads @ $100/set, bed them properly as I have always done and they are solid for about 2 days or so, then again screeching like a freight train stopping at a slow stop! Now I've done brakes my whole life on hundreds of vehicles, and NEVER have I seen this problem!
I re-bed them about 4 times and still screeching...so then I swap out for Hawk HPS's which I've used in most of my cars including my race cars and they have NEVER failed me! Great Great pads, and do the whole process and still...screeching brakes when coming to a slow stop. Before you ask, yes, I've used almost every product too to stop sound or isolate vibration from Stop Squeal to brake lubricants, to the spray stuff, etc...and nothing works.

I've followed every advise that I could find online from spraying them with high pressure spray at a car wash to pulling everything apart and damn near hospital sanitizing everything to ensure not a single particle of dirt gets in between the pads and rotors. I've swapped rotors, tightened caliper bolts, coated them...still the sound is there.

Now I know it is the sound of vibration caused by the pads hitting the rotors in rapid succession that usually causes the screeching sound, but I'm at a loss, and it is driving me and my passengers crazy, and it's hard to believe that cars of this caliber make these horrible sounds!
I've never had a high performance car do this unless the brakes were going, I need some advise...please?

I'm eventually going to do a big brake kit or swap the calipers for Brembos or StopTech, but need the $$ first and need to get rid of this noise problem like now!

·
Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
1,643 Posts
Dunno bout the Stoptechs but I find it funny you think Brembos aren't going to squeal LMAO

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunno bout the Stoptechs but I find it funny you think Brembos aren't going to squeal LMAO
No, I know they squeal, however on my buddies SRT, they don't...I've had experiences with StopTech and at least with my experiences don't squeal...

·
Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
1,643 Posts
How'd he manage to stop it? I have SRT brakes on both my Charger and Ram and all kinds of squealing I've not been able to cure lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same issue and I believe it is related to another issue that I have. My front calipers move very freely on the pins. Too freely I believe. I have a harmonic rattle that happens when I get on a rough road surface or gravel road. These Dodge pins are a whole lot different that I am used to on other disk set ups I have done. Shorter and the associated soft parts seem more prone to heat degradation. I can stop my harmonic rattle with a touch of the brake peddle. I just installed new drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads this had no effect on my rattle and I can now make them squeal and groan like an old pipe organ by creeping up on a stop sign or light. I think that the free play between my calipers and pins are allowing the pads chatter on the disks at lower pressures thus making the noise. I do not have this issue when using firm pressure while stopping. my old pads and disks were so bad that I never really used minimal pressure on the peddle to stop.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
....So no one has any ideas?? I know a lot has dealt with this issue, I'm just wondering what people have done that has worked?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
**UPDATE** Think I might have found a solution to my problem...Thanks to Mr. Pentastar for pointing me in the direction of the BrakeMotive Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors & Ceramic Pads Kit! Put them on all 4 corners, bedded them per Brakemotive recommendations/instructions, and so far 3 days in, not a single peep! I've even driven aggressively around and stopping to get them nice and warmed up and also have driven some Mountain Passes downhill with hairpins, and NOT A SINGLE SOUND! I am so thrilled, thus far and will update again after driving more on it, but it has yet to fail that no matter the combination that I threw on her, after bedding (usually that same day or the next day) the screeching would start after heating up...and with this set, it just does it's job and stops (pretty damn good too I might add) without a sound!!

Thank you again Mr. Pentastar for recommending this setup, as I was getting to my wits end with this issue!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
**2nd UPDATE** So after 120 some-odd miles driven, still not a single peep!! This Rotor/Caliper set from Brakemotive is simply AWESOME!!

It is such a relief to not have to hear and sound like a freight train stopping whenever I come to a stop at a light, stop sign, or going through a parking lot...and it didn't cost me a small fortune either!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts