Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am having some trouble getting my SD card slot to work. I have a new 2011 Charger, and a 64GB SD card that I've formatted in several different ways to no avail. The Uconnect system doesn't recognize that anything has been inserted. However when I try my 2GB SD card from my camera, it will recognize it (even though there are no music files on it, at least it can tell something is there). The card for my camera is formatted as "FAT16", which has a 2GB limit. Everything I've read says that the system can handle cards with up to 64GB of space, so it can't be required that I format it in this outdated style (FAT16). Anyone have any tips on how to prepare this SD card so that it'll work before I give up and sell it? It cost me a good $85, so I'd like to be able to use it. Thanks!

·
Banned
4,283 Posts
You need to format it in "Fat32" format....Insert the card in your computer, open "My Computer", right click on the drive, left click "Format", a pop up will open, make sure you choose "Fat32"...keep us posted :TU:

·
Banned
4,283 Posts
Unfortunately FAT32 is what I started with...no dice
Hmmm...According to uconnect manual its "standard formatting" which I would assume to be Fat32...I know you used a 2GB with FAT formatting, is it possible to try a 8 or 16GB with FAT32...It might be an issue with your particular 64GB SD card since your 2gb worked..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually it looks like the larger capacity card is an SDXC card...so I am wondering if the system just doesn't support that version of SD. If that's the case however, than the claim of "up to 64GB" can't be correct, because only the higher capacity versions of SD go up that high as far as I know...anyone using SDXC successfully? I've been googling every combination I can think of, but can't find any information. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is technically an SDXC card...could that be the problem? I don't know how you'd get to 64GB (the claimed capacity of UConnect) if you didn't use one of the higher capacity SD card formats, like SDXC or SDHC...but I can't find any information about this at all. Anyone using one of the SDCX cards successfully? That has to be it.

·
Brick killed a guy!
2,734 Posts
Its possible that some brands don't work on the car. I've seen that in the past from things like cdr's and even some sd cards..it does happen from time totime.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've received an official response from UConnect, which is that it is not compatible. They suggested I contact the manufacturer of the card to see if they know if it will work with THEIR product. Not likely. It would appear that the product literature is incorrect, as 64GB isn't available in any other SD card format that I am aware of. SDHC maxes out at 32GB. Could it be possible that all this slot is worth is 2GB? Kind of makes it pretty useless! I'd hesitate to run out and buy an SDHC card now for fear of that not working either, as there is really no way to find out other than to see if anyone else has tried it yet! Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
4,283 Posts
So I've received an official response from UConnect, which is that it is not compatible. They suggested I contact the manufacturer of the card to see if they know if it will work with THEIR product. Not likely. It would appear that the product literature is incorrect, as 64GB isn't available in any other SD card format that I am aware of. SDHC maxes out at 32GB. Could it be possible that all this slot is worth is 2GB? Kind of makes it pretty useless! I'd hesitate to run out and buy an SDHC card now for fear of that not working either, as there is really no way to find out other than to see if anyone else has tried it yet! Thanks for your help.
No I'm sure it supports higher than 2Gb their is a member on here who was using a 32Gb card for his music. Try a different SD card out bro!:TU:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JACKPOT! I whined a little more to customer service, and they sent me a list of compatible cards...looks like I'll be hocking my SDXC card on eBay, but at least now I know what to but. Thought I'd share:

SD SanDisk SDSDB-512-A11 512MB
SD Panasonic RP-SDR01GU1A 1GB
SD Kingston SD/2GBET 2GB
mini SD SanDisk miniSD 512MB
mini SD Kingston miniSD SDM 1GM
Micro SD SanDisk TransFlash 512MB
Micro SD SanDisk SDSDQ-1024-A11M 1GB
SDHC Kingston 4gb SD2 4GB
mini SDHC Patriot PSF8GMSD-PC 8GB
micro SDHC Kingston SDC2/16GB-2ADP 16GB
SD Kingston SD 2GB
SDHC Kingston SD4 4GB(Class 4)
SDHC Kingston SD4 8GB(Class 4)
SDHC Kingston SD4 16GB
SDHC ScanDisc SDHC 16GB(CLASS2)
SD PNY SD4 2GB(Class 4)
SDHC PNY SDHC 8GB
SDHC PNY SDHC 16GB
SDHC dick smith DSE SDHC 4GB(Class 6)
SDHC Transcend TS8GSDHC2 8GB(Class 2)
mini SD Transcend TS2GSDM80 8GB(Class 2)
micro SD Kingston SDC/2GB 2GB(Class 2)
SD Panasonic RP-SDP02GJ1L 2GB
SDHC Panasonic RP-SDW04GJ1K 4GB(Class 10)
SDHC Panasonic RP-SDP08GJ1K 8GB(Class 10)
SDHC Panasonic RP-SDM16GJ1K 16GB(Class 10)
SDHC Panasonic RP-SDW32GJ1K 32GB
SDHC TOSHIBA SD-K04GR5W4 4GB(Class4 )
SDHC TOSHIBA SD-E016G4 16GB(Class4 )
SDHC PQ1 Japan BMRSD-2G 32GB
SDHC CFD CSDC-8GC6 8GB(Class6)
SDHC Panasonic RP-SDM04G 4GB(Class4)
SD HAGIWARA HPC-SD 512MB
SD TOSHIBA SD-M128 128MB
SD Panasonic PR-SDK01G 16MB
SD Panasonic PR-SDK01G 1GB

·
Registered
46 Posts
It took me a few tries to get an SD card to work today (a PNY SDHC 8GB). The 8.4N system would read the card, then say "SD Card Read Error" with no further detail. Then I realized that the song titles were available...but some songs wouldn't play.

My findings so far:

1. Don't use VBR (variable bit rate) MP3 files. When I converted them to fixed-rate files, there was no error message.

2. When dragging songs directly from iTunes to an SD card on a Macintosh, about half of the songs had files of the form "._Maybelline" as well as the song file, "Maybelline.mp3" . When I inserted the card, it took about five seconds for the reader to skip each ._ file.

When the load got past them all--and up to the first normal .mp3 file---it began to play that file as expected. But all the ._ files were shown in the file list on the screen.

The answer? Delete the ._ files from the card (which is not easy with the Finder, because those files are not visible. I used Terminal commands. The files are harmless but annoying; they're the Mac resource fork part of the main file, and they only show up for some files.

It would be nice to have some decent technical documentation on the SD card system...

·
Registered
6 Posts
SD card reader work around

Ok, I bought a 64 GB SD card a couple weeks ago. I loaded it up, put it in, and the radio doesn't see it there. So I read up on the forums, saw this post, and almost gave up. I downloaded a few programs, tried formatting the card in FAT32, other things, but none of it worked. But this last weekend I went and bought a USB SD card reader, plugged that into the usb port, plugged in my card, and voila! It works! The voice commands, library, all of it. I know some of my library still isn't showing, but I'm assuming that this is due to bad file names or something similar to that as I've read something about file naming schemes causing errors. But this is worth a try if you've got a 64 GB card that you bought for this reason. I only paid $11 for the card reader, and that's better than going out and buying another smaller card.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I bought a San Disk 64GB Extreme 45MB/S card and it isn't working. It figures that this card is cheaper than the 32GB Panasonic SD card on the list. I was excited when I read on the Dodge website that a 64GB card would work. Now it looks like they just lied to us.

·
12,721 Posts
For the 2011's, I've heard that 32GB is the biggest that will work and that's what I'm using. I have not had any trouble with variable bit rates files.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot exactly where I read it, but I think 16GB is the best you're going to do. SDHC - SDXC isn't supported.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For the 2011's, I've heard that 32GB is the biggest that will work and that's what I'm using. I have not had any trouble with variable bit rates files.

What type/brand of SD card do you have?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Ok, I bought a 64 GB SD card a couple weeks ago. I loaded it up, put it in, and the radio doesn't see it there. So I read up on the forums, saw this post, and almost gave up. I downloaded a few programs, tried formatting the card in FAT32, other things, but none of it worked. But this last weekend I went and bought a USB SD card reader, plugged that into the usb port, plugged in my card, and voila! It works! The voice commands, library, all of it. I know some of my library still isn't showing, but I'm assuming that this is due to bad file names or something similar to that as I've read something about file naming schemes causing errors. But this is worth a try if you've got a 64 GB card that you bought for this reason. I only paid $11 for the card reader, and that's better than going out and buying another smaller card.
What's the info for the card reader?

Yooooo what's the info for the card reader?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Welcome Mr. Kees. In case you didn't see it, you are responding to a post that is over 5 1/2 years old. These guys may not be around anymore. If you have a question or similar problem, you would be best to start a new thread stating your problem and asking your questions.

Again, welcome to the group.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts