Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!! I have been searching all over the forums and as someone who does not talk "speaker-talk," close to none of the threads made any sense. I don't know what OHM means or any of that!

Basically, I just want my cars audio to sound better/louder. I don't wanna switch out my amp or get a subwoofer, just get new speakers because the stock ones are so horrible.

I have an SE, no Alpine package. Can anyone provide insight into what direction I should move towards?

Even though I don't know what OHM means, I've come to see that I should get the same OHM rating for my speakers as the stock amp (??).

What speakers should I buy? What rating should they have (OHM, Wattage, etc). ??

help:4-dontknow::4-dontknow::4-dontknow:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anything???? Smh :/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello. Id double check your speaker sizes but its more than likely going to be 6x9" speakers in the front door and deck. Then you will have 3.5" speakers in the front dash and rear doors. I think the stock speakers are 2-3 Ohms so id stick to that with your new speakers. One great way to check is pull the speakers out and see what they say on the back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your not going to get any more loudness out of it without adding an amp. By swapping the speakers you will just get better sound quality. I recommend JBL if you keeping the stock amp. Here's some good speakers that will fit:
JBL GX302 3.5"
JBL GX963 6x9"
They are both 2.3 Ohms so your system should work fine with it, but I wouldn't expect a loudness increase with these.
Just so you know, more Ohms = Less Watts RMS. This means if you hooked up 4 Ohms speakers you would get a much quieter sound.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Your not going to get any more loudness out of it without adding an amp. By swapping the speakers you will just get better sound quality.
agreed.

They are both 2.3 Ohms so your system should work fine with it, but I wouldn't expect a loudness increase with these.
agreed.

Just so you know, more Ohms = Less Watts RMS. This means if you hooked up 4 Ohms speakers you would get a much quieter sound.
That's not entirely true, and a bit of a myth that needs to go away. sensitivity plays a role here and many higher ohm speakers have higher sensitivity which negates the "much quieter" argument.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is way old, but what you've mentioned implies they must be wiring the speakers in series - 6 spkrs X 2.3=6.9 ohm load - which I find interesting (not negative - just interesting).

If the speakers are wired in series one would definitely NOT want to go with anything above 3 ohm as there would be a significant decrease in system volume. As far as power handling goes, the old rule of thumb used to be to get speakers that rate "peak" power capability higher than what the amp puts out - maybe at least 25% higher or more. The thought was that you'll have clean sound unless your amp distorts. In that case the speakers should be able to handle that amp distortion without damage to the speaker itself.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Great info.My stock SE speakers have just about crapped out on me and I have been looking to replace them without going all out on an elaborate sound system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts